1976 Chevrolet Caprice Estate 454

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Edv96buick

Edv96buick Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The other thing that bugged me about this car was the cracked dashboard. At 26,000 original miles and what seems to look like a garage kept car, this car spent a considerable amount of time outside. Some of the comments that some of you have made lead me to believe that someone was trying to cover this up. The rusted out rear quarter panel and the rust by the rear window along with the crack dashboard are telling me it was kept outside for quite a while. I have two low mileage 1975 Chevrolet B body cars, the higher mileage one has 39,000 original miles on it. Both came to me with no cracks in the dashboards.

2. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

and how can there be rock chips on the lower quarters of a 26k mile car when it has mudflaps? It's probably because unscrupulous sellers put add-ons to cover up things. Also, take a look at the passenger right rockers, it's got a cut line in it where the fender and door meet.
    Wheelcovers aren't correct match for the eyar, and if you look close, I dont think the rims are stock either.

Still a 454 and cool color at that.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  3. Jsafe

Jsafe Well-Known Member

Lol... you guys...go try and find another one in that flavor for sale..that car was still so beautiful and cool and rare...even if all your 2nd day arm chair QB's buyer complaints were true. It's the coolest one I have seen come for sale for a LONG time. I wish it was mine... and so do you.

4. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Well, not really. I was there at the bid closing with my finger on the button ready to bid $30,000 (sniper style of course) which would have probably won the bid. After looking really hard at the pictures of the vinyl top I didn’t feel that I wanted to spend 30 K on a car that needed $10,000 worth of bodywork. And to fix that rust properly you would’ve had to of taken the glass out of the car. Very risky, break that glass and you’ll be hard-pressed to find it. And if you find it it won’t be near you so it will have to be shipped, another big risk. You can call it Monday morning quarterbacking if you would like, but everybody has their limits. I could well afford the wagon and then take it down to bare metal and rebuild it completely. I just don’t simply want to start at 30,000, it’s not that I can’t afford it. Everyone has their priorities and limits. And most of all, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including yourself. I have no regrets with my decision

5. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

This was an originally a Michigan car that was brought to Nevada. The seller is a flipper that just bought the car and knows very little history as to the past restorations of this car. He let the pictures and video tell the story, which to me shows a history of patchwork and coverup. I expect Michigan took some toll on it. The question is how much...

6. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Assume the sale went through. It has not reappeared so far.

7. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

Still sitting in his driveway

8. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    How do you know this? If true…it can take quite a while to find a shipper depending on where it is supposed to go. Took me almost a month to get a shipper to pick up a car in Minnesota and bring it to me in Jersey

9. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Derby! Derby Derby!

Would be one of the highest priced derby wagons around!

10. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

The ebay listing said that you had to show and pay in person to get the car.

11. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

he’s been posting pictures of it asking opinions on different wheels for it on the clamshell page on Facebook

12. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Oh, so he’s like the guy down in Texas with the 73 Belair…love to put boy racer rims on big Chevy wagons. Call me old fashioned but I actually like the 76 Caprice standard full wheel covers…the ones you got if you didn’t check a box on the option sheet. If I had bought that car I would have put those on it because the wire covers on it are wrong.

13. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    I guess he is going to do like the guy in Texas, put wheels on so he can try to get more. I guess he wasn’t happy with 28k

14. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

So it is still with the eBay seller?

15. Edv96buick

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds that way…if the car is still in northeastern Virginia