Panther or Fox

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by dt97, Nov 19, 2023.

1. dt97

dt97 New Member

I keep seeing people say the '81 Ford LTD Country Squire is a panther platform, but I also see others saying it's a fox platform. When I decided to do research it didn't give me a straight answer. So, my question is the '81 ltd country squire a panther or fox platform? If not, does that mean the '83 ltd country squire has the fox platform

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The 1981 Ford LTD Country Squire(pictured) is a full-sized body-on-frame vehicle, built on the Ford 'Panther' platform.
    [​IMG]

The 1983 Ford LTD Squire (pictured) was a unibody vehicle built on the Ford 'Fox' platform. The Mustang of this period was also based on the 'Fox' platform.
    [​IMG]

You were probably getting confused with the names. In the late 70's and through the 1982 model year, the full-sized Fords were known as 'LTD''s. Then, for the '83 model year, the mid-sized Fords on the 'Fox' platform, which had been known as 'Granada', got a styling re-do, and a new name: 'LTD'. So this 2nd wagon pictured is an LTD Squire. (Note: It is not called the LTD COUNTRY Squire). The full-sized Fords THEN became known as 'Crown Victoria'. Ford did offer a 'no wood' Crown Victoria station wagon, but Ford didn't really apply the 'Crown Victoria' name to the Country Squire. it was simply called 'Country Squire'.

Hope this helps....

Marshall

markfnc and dt97 like this.
  3. dt97

dt97 New Member

Thanks for clearing that up

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Slight clarification. The fox body car was called the LTD and the full size car was the LTD Crown Victoria (or Country Squire). Makes it really great when searching for parts. That and all the people that want to call the fox body car LTD II. Thanks Ford.

dt97 and Krash Kadillak like this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

It even confused me, as it's been pointed out here on the forum. But, once Ford got it cleared up, no problems.