New England Roadmaster Road Trip

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 81X11, May 24, 2017.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello All!

My friend Ben in New Jersey bought Tom "Silverfox's" blue 1994 Roadmaster wagon, and my son Eddie and I flew to New Jersey last weekend, and then Ben, Eddie and I drove to New Hampshire to get the Roady, and spent the past week touring New England and visiting. What an ADVENTURE!

Big thanks to Tom "Silverfox" and his wife, Rich Craig and his wife, and Bill Crovo and his family, and the B And D body ASSociation of New England, among many others for making this a trip my friend Ben, my son Eddie and I will never forget!

I kept a pretty good log of the entire trip in a Facebook photo album you folks here are welcome to look at. It was a FANTASTIC trip! The friendship and hospitality of everyone was overwhelming! So Great to finally meet, in person, so many folks I've only conversed with online all these years.

In addition to all the visits we had, we were also able to take in what a beautiful place New England is this time of year. The weather overall was fantastic. We got to stay in such fun places, experience sleeping to the sound of loons on a lake deep in the woods, and the next day a "cocktail cruise" followed by a swordfish steak dinner!

We toured Bangor "Derry" Maine, visiting Stephen King's home by Roadmaster and many places he's written about in books. We ate "Holy Donuts" in Portland, and I've now had a "lob-stah roll" from York Beach Maine.

Bill Crovo and his family, and the B And D body ASSociation of New England threw us a mini-Wagonfest, and even gave myself, Eddie and Ben official club shirts. I'm proud to represent the Austin Texas chapter of the B And D body ASSociation of New England! Ha! That was SUCH a fun evening! My Austin-born-and-raised son is now saying "Wicked", and "Kehd", and even "Pissah"....thanks guys... ;)

I really enjoyed the privilege of tinkering and driving a few Roadmasters, and getting to see so many great cars! We also got to visit family in Natick Mass, meet another B-body friend in New York, and visit old friends back in New Jersey.

My son Eddie drove over 1000 miles this past weekend, age 15, on his Texas learners permit! No tickets, no issues, he even handled a big late-night thunderstorm in the White Mountains driving from New Hampshire to Maine (Roadys have DIM headlights!), and later, Boston traffic! I'm a proud Dad!

As for the Roadmaster wagon itself, with the exception of a loose heat shield and not having a/c the first two days (shrader valve on accumulator was leaking, charged at Crovo's house, blew ice the rest of the trip), it ran perfectly and averaged mid-20mpg over the 800+ miles we drove it. I brought my old cassette tapes, and the factory Delco played my Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits and more perfectly! Good stuff!

Over the course of the trip we managed to clean the wagon up, install Impala SS wheels with new tires, add a GS grill emblem, a correct 94 hood ornament, chrome plate frames, metal-trimmed pedals, touched up the woodgrain and black door panel window switch panels, and repainted all the dash chrome and the Concert Sound speaker lettering. Such fun!

We just got back home to Austin. Was a GREAT trip!

ANYWAY as mentioned here is the link to the Public Facebook Album if you want to see ALL the pics...as usual, I took a lot! Again, Thanks All! : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10213039171724659.1073742223.1553678810&type=3 - You MAY have to copy and paste that link.

Here's a few of what's in the album:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Texas Mike

fannie, Grizz, dennis and 2 others like this.
  2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great post Mike! Really nice to see your son and you had a great longroof cruise down the beautiful northeastern coast! Some really spectacular scenery along there! Well gotta go, need to take a wicked pissah!....Longroof Rule!

81X11 likes this.
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Nice photos and write up Mike. Glad you had a great time with family and friends. Two of the nicest long roofs on the planet.

81X11 likes this.
  4. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    1997 my son (16 using his Iowa Intermediate license, and I drove from Chicago to Bozeman for my brothers wedding.
    didn't do the trip in a wagon, but the next best - 97 Silver Audi Cabriolet, red interior, of course - stopped at Mt. Rushmore, the Bad lands, Sturgis; Deadwood etc.. Odds of being in that part of S. Dakota again - slim - and there is nothing like screaming across South Dakota/Wyoming on a great June day with the top down and the tunes blaring with the snow capped Rockies looming on the horizon with your son.
    so Mike - I get it - you will never forget the ride

fannie, dennis, wagoninsane and 2 others like this.
  5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great trip!

You sure got a lot done. Ben's going to love that wagon.

Who owns the beautiful RMW with the 6-speed and custom interior?

81X11 likes this.
  6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Glad everyone liked the pics, and yes, having my son with me made it all-the-more special! Krash I can't remember the name of the guy with the 6spd wagon, but what a cool beast that this is! We got to see, sit and ride in some really fantastic cars on this trip. I'm dying to go to Wagonfest now!

-Mike

7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Thanks for sharing Mike. I always look forward to reading about your adventures. I'm glad you were able to do it with your son. What a great experience.

fannie likes this.
  8. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mike , great to see you and Eddie enjoying such an awesome time he's one lucky young fella :cheers: from Downunder

fannie likes this.
  9. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Always fun reading about your adventures. Clearly a different "Silverfox". Amazing trip for all of you.

10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeas, THAT 'Silverfox' is on the Impala SS forum, where they've got a big longroof following as well.....

11. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Awesome story, Mike!
    Thanks for sharing. Always fun to read a Texas Mike adventure post!

12. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That was really a great trip! Really nice to meet everyone and see the toys. New England is a really pretty place, as long as it's not January. ;)

13. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm goofy, but my favorite part was seeing Stephen King's home in that pic above. Ha!