Your opinions please...

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by fannie, Nov 11, 2011.

1. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In an effort to reduce our gas budget we are seriously considering purchasing a compact car. Since both hubby and I not compact car people the search has been very difficult.
    We are having trouble finding a small car, that we can affort, that is both attractive(to us) and practical. And to add to that challenage, hubby won't entertain anything other then a Chev/GM brand.
    I came across a Pontica Vibe that I kinda like and surprise he does too. It seems to be primarily a Toyota :16suspect1: with a Pontiac grille. I think I'm going to test drive one tomorrow while hubby is working on the house. I'm hoping they'll let me bring it home for him to see.
    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone as an opinion...related to this topic:p...that might help us make our decission one way or the other...thanks guys. :)

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2006-pontiac-vibe.htm

[​IMG]

2. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

The Vibe is pretty much a rebadged Matrix, as you said. But seeing he wants a GM compact you could also look at the Chevy Aveo or even the Saturn Astra. The Vibe is one of the better Ponchos from that era. Are you solely wanting just a hatchback or any compact car?

But The Vibe should be a good choice if you go that way. I'm sure more of the GM guys will chime in.

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Yeah, I have a problem with trunks...they just look...square or boxy or something...

4. wingnut

wingnut Non-Hockey Fan

Fannie, I dont think the General has the compact car quality down to a science yet like say honda or toyota does .... but if your hubby is set on buying from one of the "big three" then consider ford and their focus or escape .... I have heard nothing but good about both ..... and I am a chevy guy.!!

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    To be more accurate, the Pontiac Vibe is not exactly a re-badged Toyota Matrix. The vehicles are both 5-door hatches, on the same platform*, but do not share any body pieces.

* They do share the same basic chassis, suspension layout and pieces, and drivetrain. There are 2 different engines offered, and you can also get AWD on some models. As far as styling, I prefer the Vibe. The Matrix has a bit too much 'boy racer' look to me......

Don't know what your budget is Fannie, but if you don't need 4 or all-wheel drive, you might want to check out the Chevy HHR - what I drive. Very nicely equipped, and mine at least is really put together well. Biggest thing most people can find to complain about it is the power window buttons on the bottom of the center stack of the instrument panel - on pre 2010 models.

6. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    can you do new?

the chevy sonic is pretty awesome!
    same exact engines as the cruze..SAME HORSEPOWER!! but 600lbs lighter ..you do the math
    [​IMG]

7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Our oldest son back in Illinois has had that exact car and color for several years. He has driven it 1000 miles to Florida, and back half dozen times, 500+ one way many trips to Omaha, and to work 25 miles winter and summer. Illinois winters do get cold and snowy. His only problem was spinning out on ice and hitting a lamp post with the rear bumper. He didn't get hurt and the car was repaired like new. It feels decent riding in it as a passenger. [​IMG]

8. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

I hear ya, its like "something" is missing...

Like wingnut said, try and sway him on looking to the Focus. They are great cars that get good milage. There are a wide selection of options to be had on either the ZX3 (3 door) and ZX5 (5 door). You'll pull about 28ish in town and 34+ on the highway.

I have a ZX5 as my daily driver, I can fill it up and it will last me two weeks, or more. Depending on how much I drive it.

GM does have some hatches coming out if you can swing a new one.

WHOA, all posting at the same time!!!!

9. wingnut

wingnut Non-Hockey Fan

Whats the milage numbers and hp on the HHR Krash?.... 2wd

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    fannie, I just remembered the perfect vehicle for you and your husband.......Remember that nine passenger bike? :rofl2:That's my final opinion! And if you order one without a bucket you won't have a trunk!:rofl2:

11. wingnut

wingnut Non-Hockey Fan

Whats wrong with just taking a "stay-cation", sitting at home in front of the big screen and ordering Chineese take-out when hungry ... thats one way to save gas! LOL

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Yea butt, some of us live in the boonies and Chinese can't find us grasshopper!:lolup:

13. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    They have 2 sizes of the same basic engine - a 2.2 literr putting out 149 hp and a 2.4 liter putting out 175 hp.

They're rated at around 20mpg city / 29 highway. I average around 27.5 with a 35/65% city / highway mix. I've got the larger engine.

14. DrCAS

DrCAS Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have an HHR Panel. I get over 33 MPG on the highway. I have the 2.2 engine. I drove HHR's with both of them in it. I couldn't tell the difference. I didn't think that that the additional 25 HP was worth the extra $2K needed to upgrade the level to get it.

I think it is well built and comfortable. It drives and rides much nicer than our PT Cruiser. My wife's friend was so impressed with the panel, that she bought a regular HHR for herself. She loves it.

15. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: