young people and wagons..

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Camber, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    K-Oed by K-Y.:evilsmile:

2. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos New Member

:rofl2:HAHA

3. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

There are a few younguns that appreciate wagons but the real test is when you can only afford one car, you have two kids and a fixer upper house that a run to the Home Depot requires something other than a Honda Civic.

SUVs suck gas, mini-vans cost like limos and naturally a good 'ole American wagon does it all and still gets good gas milage and they are pretty cheap too.(y)

4. winged one

winged one Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Doesn't surprise me really, for the majority of them.

But just think, in 30 years will they be collecting and restoring Honda Civics and Plymouth Mini-vans, to recapture their youth? :16suspect1:

5. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

It's not only the youngsters who look at wagons with disdain. I'm 55 and 1/2 my friends are always making fun of my Colony Park. It's a shame, because whenever they do, I think they're just showing their ignorance and lack of class. What other vehicle can carry as many people as my Mercury and ride as comfortably as any full size American luxury sedan. NONE!!!

6. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

That's already happening. The Japanese car clubs are growing fast and we've already had for many decades VW clubs and British car clubs and on and on.

It was just that VWs and Civics and the like aren't very practical for things that our wagons do. Aside from the foreign wagons.

Love the Datsun 510s and the older Corona wagons.

7. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    do i qualify as young? im 29. how bout blackfoot, autobotsquire and fordwagonnut they are around my age.

i wanted a roadmaster wagon when i was 16. my friends in high school, a few made fun of me ...one or two(the genuine car nuts) concured that because of the utility and LT-1 that the roadie and caprice wagons are bada$$

8. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    I am 35 and been in love with wagons since I was very young. We never had one growing up so it wasn't in my blood. I am one who loves the different things in life. I remember trying to talk my dad into letting me buy a real clean 71 Malibu wagon and he wouldnt go for it, so I bought a 68 GTO instead and dropped in a 425 Caddy. Then I just went ahead and bought my 79 Fairmont Wagon with the 200 I6 and 4 speed for $75 without his consent. He just laughed and laughed even harder that same night when I called him for a tow home coz the clutch was shot. I wondered why it was so cheap, lol.

19 years later and I have 2 wagons and looking at 3 more that I might end up buying. 77 Pinto wagon 2.8 V6, 91 Roadmaster Estate L03 305, 93 Caprice Wagon L05 350 and I just found a low mile(79K), but pretty solid 73 Galaxie 500 351 Cleveland 2 door for $500 that I might end up giving to my son for his first car.

Both my older boys love the wagons, Kodie will be 17 and likes the older cars, Dusty is 15 and likes older cars too, but his mommy said she would give him her 05 Escape POS SUV. I hate SUV's with a passion, huge ugly things that only seat 5-7 people yet use as much gas as a 747 Jet at take off. My 92 with the 350 averages 18mpg around town and back road driving and 23-25 on the highway loaded up with all 6 of us. Try that in even a V6 SUV, not likely to happen and the ride quality of our wagons will never ever be matched by a SUV or van.

9. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    a 4x4 diesel ford excursion will match fuel economy with actually more seating...but! to put it in the price range of "everyman" it has to be pretty beat! not to mention maintenence is a bear on a diesel. $100 oil changes etc.

10. 84Parisienne

84Parisienne Active Member

I'm 19 and love wagons. Yea, most of my friends own newer plastic cars and used to give the "old man's ride" comments until they took a ride with me and realized that they were sitting in the lap of luxury. They quickly change their mind when they have more leg room than they know what to do with.

11. tsynek

tsynek New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nobody mentioned the benefits of a "Shaggin Wagon". When I was 16 ( I am 35 now) that was a big deal, a room away from the parents:banana: My 75 2 door impala (I destroyed it), did the job. If i had a wagon back then I would definitely have put it to use.

They handle turns better than SUVs also, lower center of gravity.

Who cares what anyone else says. Wagons fricken rule!
    :chirp:

12. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I will be 30 in November. Been in love with wagons since I was little. My folks never had them. Grew up with a '77 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, '83 Ford F-150, '82 Volvo 240 (talked my dad into that at the age of 5), '87 VW Jetta, '87 and '89 Buick Centurys, '91 Audi 100s, '93 Saturn, '93 Merc Villager.....the only one I truly liked was the '77 Monte and the Volvo.

I used to get a TON of flack for owning a Volvo 240 wagon. People would make dumb a** comments since it was styled like a brick and it was uncool.

Till I ask this, then they shut their yap. "When you move out of your house, do you use a beach ball or a box?" They they look at me "Well a box" they speak with pride. Then I smile, walk over to the "boxy" Volvo, and pet it on the roof like a puppy. I love the confused look they give off.

13. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

First time I meet Linda, who became my wife, we went for a drive in my '83 Crown Vic wagon out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. I drove through this huge water puddle, yea, it killed the ignition system.

She thought I did this on purpose....

Well we were teenagers, we never dated in HS, and things just happen. (y)Thank you Ford for making a full size wagon!

14. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    Growing up, we had a 77 LTD Wagon with a 400, which my folks unfortunately sold and got an 89 Voyager, which was lemon!!! My mom says she always loved the wagon more, and my mom doesn't even like wagons that much, and refused to drive it when my dad bought it for a hauler when he was in the trades, which was soon replaced by a 86 Toyota 4x4 as it's hard to find parking for a big wagon in downtown Milwaukee. Then it became mamas, and she loves to talk about as the family grew and along came twins, she could get 3 car seats across the back bench and still have room to take our big console TV (remember those?) in the back to the shop for repairs.

15. Camber

Camber Youngster :)

Wagon Garage:
    haha yeah. some of my friends came to theyre senses after they saw it lowered with an intake and all my impala goodies!... haha they were like wow.. this actually is pretty cool. and we can ALL go cruisin around town in it... funny how people change once they adapt..

[​IMG]