young people and wagons..

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Camber, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Camber

Camber Youngster :)

Wagon Garage:
    whats up with NO young people liking wagons! im 18 and LOVE wagons. but every other young person looks at them with disgust? no one understands i guess??? kinda tired of the old " is that your grandmas wagon" quote.

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Actually, we've got a couple 16 year olds and 18 year olds too. Some folks know a good deal at a very young age. Like you, for instance. :D

3. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos New Member

While not a teenager, Im looking forward to the granma comments. I'm even buying an "I brake for yard sales" bumper sticker for mine! I learned a long time ago if you joke along with them the fun immediately disappears. Tell them yes its a grandmas, yours gave it to me in exchange for sexual favors. No better not. But you get the point. Its yours enjoy it if you like it, or get rid of it if you are ashamed. I drove a Plymouth Horizon and was proud of the car.:biglaugh: Short of a Renault Fuego, it doesn't get much worse.

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    A Horizon? I had one of the early ones (1975), Plymouth something - 4 banger. Can't remember the name - over 40, you get CRS - Can't Remember Sh!t. :rofl2:

Granny would've loved mine. Mustang dash, velvet upholstery, just missing the couch doilies on the armrests. :rofl2:

Camber, I think the wagons are a compromise between young and old owners. The young guys can power them up, haul the parts from the yards, add the fancy bling and hi-perf goodies and pack up a bunch of friends for camping, a trip across the country, or a carshow. Heck you can even stretch out at the drive-ins, or stop using Q-tips to clean your ears, with some honkin' sound system, to melt the wax out of your ears.

Like my cougar girlfriends used to say, age doesn't matter when you've got a good ride.:rofl2::rofl2:

5. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    I'm 18, and LOVE wagons. I've owned mine longer than any other car I've had and plan on having more of them.

6. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

When I was a teenager, I had a '81 Volvo 240 wagon, '83 Ford LTD Crown Vic wagon, and a '78 Toyota Corolla wagon. Most people where lippy with me about owning a wagon, till they wanted me to help them move something, then I was their best friend.

When I had my '77 LTD Country Squire at college with me, there where a lot of 18-20 year olds that seemed to like the CS. I could not figure out why they where so interisted in it and why they liked it. Well when I thought about it, most of them never grew up around station wagons like some of us did on here. I remember most families had Chevy Estate or Pontiac wagons in the 80s and my aunts and uncles always had Country Squires.

The kids I went to college with (5-10 year diff), grew up with minivans and SUV's, so to them, a station wagon is a different kind of car. I would not worry, your ahead of your time. Some "young people" are slow to catch up....

7. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos New Member

I think my affliction dates back to high school when my buddy's dad had 77 Dodge Monaco wagon. It was dark brown with foreskin beige interior and a big block 400 in it. When he wasn't using it to tow the boat, that was Tommy's ride where ever he needed to go. Wish I had that thing now.

8. FordWagonNut1979

I was in the kayaking club at college. Since there was not a body of water big enough to suit us, we had to go to a local lake. It was about 10-12 miles but no one in the club (other than the teacher) had a car to tow the trailer that held 8 of them. Well, a weekend we all wanted to go to Spring Lake but the teacher was out of town but he would allow us to use the kayaks without his supervision.

I offered to tow the trailer with my '77, they laughed a bit, said something along the lines of it couldn't get out of its own way, since it was so big. So when they could not find anyone that wanted to trailer tow, they asked me. Funny how that works?

So we loaded up the trailer with what we needed, 6 of us climbed in, and off we went. The looks I got from them, even some of the comments "dude, its like your car dosent know its pulling a trailer".......

9. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos New Member

Others ignorance is almost frustrating sometimes.

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Must've been the color selection...:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

11. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I remember the first time I drove my wagon to school in 1989. There were plenty of "grocery getter" comments... until my buddies discovered that magical sound that happenes when quadrajet secondaries open up. It didn't take long until my wagon became one of the flagships for our bon-fire parties out in the West Texas desert.
    The many adventures we had in that car showed a lot of kids "the light" as to why longroofs rule.

[​IMG]

12. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos New Member

Yeah that was it. [​IMG]

lol

13. FordWagonNut1979

I LOVE that sound.......like this one?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You didn't specify male or female, not that it's much different.:evilsmile:

15. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos New Member

Not sure where the material came from but if he turned a corner too fast, you'd slide on the seat and the arm rest would grow.:rofl: