What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I’ve lined motorcycle tanks, some turned out good, some not so much. I can’t imagine doing it with a car

2. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I’m happy I went with the new tank. I had heard good and bad, no second guesses this way, especially after rebuilding the engine that was original to the car.

3. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

Hey all!

it’s been a minute since I’ve checked in. The 65 Impala SS 396 convertible restoration has been taking all my time, but while I’m waiting for some NOS unobtanium parts, I figured I’d get the wagon going

The readers digest version is this:

bought an 89 colony park in November of ‘21. Motor was bad, but not sure the extent, as the kid I bought it from simply said “I smelled something and then it stopped running.”

not a lot to go on

so I pulled the engine with the intent on a rebuild. It came with a 302, but when I got the FSM I learned it could have come with a 351. Hey, why not put one of those in instead?

my local scrapyard had a nice 351 out of an F250, so $800 later it was in the need of the dually.

i figured I might as well rebuild it, as I had no idea how many miles were on it.

well, I then fell into the clutches of the 9 most expensive words you can ever say:

“while I am in there I might as well…”

Needless to say, I’m on the tail end of building a 408 stroker with AFR heads, Scat rotating assembly and forged pistons.

and a 671 blower with dual custom built 700 double pumpers

and 100-250 shot of N2o

I’ll run it on E85 as well. And since the shop is full with the impala stuff, the only logical place to assemble this colossal example of poor judgment is in my living room.

And before you ask, yes I am not married. It’s just my son and I. But he’s used to these shenanigans. Last year he had to deal with the Harley being built on the coffee table.

I’ll try and upload pics

4. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

5. Timmayy

Timmayy Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A few years ago I pulled the tank and sealed it, cleaned the sending unit, new float, ring and gasket. New stainless steel lines and fuel pump. All of that is good. Sitting this past winter when I was putting in a new engine and trans is when it probably corroded through the pin.

JackWagon likes this.
  6. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

Mocking up the big stuff now. I’m going to have some belt clearance issues, but nothing that’s insurmountable IMG_0989.jpeg

Doghead, kevdupuis, wylee and 4 others like this.
  7. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I love your “garage”

fannie and OrthmannJ like this.
  8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Okay, so mounting that in the wagon requires the 351 oil pan (rear main cap is bigger) which has the dipstick tube mounted in it, the 351 block mounts (drops the engine lower than the 302), and the 351-to-AOD flexplate, unless you go to do a manual swap-in. Could you do a quick list of the mods (other than the engine) that you're planning?

Grizz likes this.
  9. Rangermagnum

Rangermagnum Member

It was complete 5.8 out of a 98 F250 so I have all the misc stuff including pan and timing cover

I’ll check out the motor mounts, thank you for the tip. I’d assumed they were the same

The dipstick mount is in the block, not the pan. I have the flex plate as it was balanced with the rotating assembly.

As for planned mods, every day things get added and subtracted. First off, the goal of this build isn’t to squeak out every last bit of power. It was done because I think it’s funny, and besides, how many 89 Colony Park wagons have 671’s sticking out of the hood? Because of the 2 bolt mains, I need to detune this thing. The static compression is 10:1 (I know it’s too much, but the build changed directions too late in the game. Yes it’s a gamble, but here I am) As such, I’m underdriving the blower by about 20% , and also running E85 to keep combustion temps down, tho I could run 91 and a methanol injection. Thoughts?

Obviously the transmission needs upgrading. Haven’t really decided which way to go. A manual would be a blast so maybe a TKX. If I keep it auto, building the AOD or a C4/6

The rear end is an 8.8. It’s stronger than the transmission, so for now I’ll leave it be. Maybe a 9” out of a Versailles so I’ll have rear discs. Or maybe put a Torsen in the 8.8, and call it a day.

I’m putting in a big 4 row radiator and hi flow water pump. The only accessories that will be driven are the alternator and ps pump. Anything helps

Stock brakes for now. Willwoods are in the future.

While there are dozens of better choices of cars, this is what I had. Plus, I can’t wait to take it to our local country club for Sunday brunch…

Grizz likes this.
  10. Silvertwinkiehobo

That's a list. Okay, so guys on the FB 'Manual-swapped Panthers, are doing either T-45s or 3650s in their aero cars. You might want to check out that page, see if someone's popped a manual into a box Panther. There's a member on here who transplanted a Cobra Mustang drivetrain into a Fox wagon (LTD, IIRC), and it was a Windsor engine and whatever B-W trans it came with. That would be a direct bolt-up, and you could source a Saleen 351 flywheel and clutch kit for it.
    Also, the early '00s aero Panthers had a direct-swap 8.8 with disc brakes and a newer-style master cylinder. They're worth looking into. And if it were mine, I'd put one of those aluminum diff covers for Mustangs on it; they have diff bearing cap preload screws, which when set, prevent the bearing caps from deforming and breaking under load.
    The truck blocks are made with in-block dipstick access, but if you plan to use the truck pan, it's for six quarts capacity, not five, and might hang the engine up on the crossmember. The factory Panther 351's don't have a block dipstick tube, as they were originally built with the front sump pans, and the dipstick was in the timing cover, like on my '79 Ranchero's 351W; it came from a '79 Grand Marq. That's why the dipstick was in the original pan.

11. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    4k#fe on crownvic.net swapped a T-5 into a box Crown Vic 10-15 years ago. His thread should still be over there somewhere for reference. From what I recall he used modified Mustang pedals. I don't think I'd bother with a T-45 or TR3650 behind that engine. A TKX or T56 Magnum would probably be your best bet depending on your budget.

12. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Car sitting clean & shiny in the garage,
    [​IMG]

but that's not why it's in here right now.
    I'm getting it ready to go on a roughly 15,000 km trip in a few weeks, so I'm servicing everything and putting on a couple more items that just arrived.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rebuilt cruise control motor and multi function switch. I'd previously replaced most of the cruise components and this was the last part needed, so let's hope it works smoothly on the trip. The old multi function switch works fine just all the markings are worn off so I decided to get a new one while I was putting in an order for a number of pieces for both cars. I'll keep the old one as a spare.

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Well, I watched this video:

JackWagon likes this.
  14. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We went to a couple of shows this weekend. 2763B595-2C1A-462A-A361-25EE58ABB750.jpeg

fannie, OrthmannJ and kevdupuis like this.
  15. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

We were out driving and saw a couple of cars. Pulled in to see what was going on. A church group is sponsoring a monthly show, last Saturday of the month. We marked the calendar but didn't have our phones with us to take pictures.

OrthmannJ and JackWagon like this.