what else you got??? :)

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by the Rev, Oct 18, 2009.

1. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    May even to be able to rent him 1tiredad....he will put you up a pole building in no time! :)

2. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Well the non Wagon Old Stuff are all Odd Ball Pontiac's
    (1) 1969 Firebird Sprint, now with a stroked 301 OHC-6, T-5, and 4.10 Posi 12 Bolts. Fun Car.
    [​IMG]
    (2) The recently purchased 1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer, 455 4bbl, TH-400, 3.23 open 10 bolt
    [​IMG]
    (3) A 1977 Astre Formula, now in the reassembly Stage, replacing the gutless 2.5 2bbl Iron duke, M200 auto, and 2.92 open 10 bolt, with a Modified 215 Buick V-8 (the old Aluminum one) 4bbl, T-5, and a Dana 44 Locker with 4.10 gears. It should be a Fun Fast car that I can afford to drive.
    [​IMG]
    (4) 1997 Firebird Convt, 3.8 V-6, T-5, 3.23 Posi
    [​IMG]
    (5) Is my Wifes Daily Driver 2009 Pontiac G8GT, 6.0 LS Automatic.
    [​IMG]
    (6) My work Daily Driver 2012 F-150 with the Ecoboost V-6
    Sorry no Pic's On my HD to share, but no real loss as its just a truck.

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    See how much stuff will fit on top of a long roof...:biglaugh:

[​IMG]

4. cammerjeff

Fannie I was tring to figure out how to get the yellow fire hydrant on the Lemans also, but just couldn't make room!!!!!

5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I wonder if you could avoid parking tickets if your under a fire hydrant instead of beside one...:D

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That 215 will certainly wake up the Astre, but you should stuff the freeway warrior's 455 into it.....:clap::yippee::dancing::1st:

7. cammerjeff

I know what you are saying, but when I looked into putting any Pontiac V-8 into the little Astre's engine bay, the only versions I could reasonably make fit were the late short deck 301 or 265 V-8's. The 326-455 Blocks are just to tall (not to mention wide and long) and I did not want to have to front 1/2 the car. I have seen 2 Astre/Sunbirds with a true Pontiac V-8 installed, and both ended up to be unstreetable, and limited to 1/4 mile runs. Not what I want to do with the car.
    The Iron Duke that came out of the car weighed 386lbs fully dressed, the Buick 215 not only fits into the stock engine bay, has aftermarket motor mounts available for it, but actually weigh's 45lbs less at 338lbs dressed. That means that I don't have to redo the front suspension, I can locate the radiator in the stock position (recored stock Astre with A/C unit) And keep the stock steering gear.
    If I tried to install the Pontiac 455 that stock weighs 830lbs, with Aluminum Heads, Intake, and headers it would be down to around 700-725lbs. I would have to cut off the front chassis, fab and install a tube front chassis, go to a steering rack, move the much larger radiator to the front side of the radiator support, add electric fans (as there would still be no room for a stock flex or clutch fan) and I would still end up with a car my wife would not ride in, I couldn't drive to events, and returned maybe 15-18mpg.
    With the 300hp 215, the 2700lb car should run low 13's in the 1/4, and get 20-25mpg highway. I am adding a Dana 44 rear axle with S-10 Disc brakes, and I picked up a set of modified Vega front control arms that have been modified to take Corvette C-3 Front Spindles and Brakes. The rear axle has a bit more gear than I wanted with the 4.10 ratio, but I will see how I like it with the T-5 trans before changing it, as I would need to get a different series carrier to go with the 3.55-3.72 gears I think I will eventually have to install.
    So I have thought about it, struggled with it, taken alot of grief from my Die Hard Pontiac Buddies. But to keep it as a street car I decided to old school 70's, with some Pontiac touches. I will post some pic's of the Pontisized Buick 215 tonight. I am going for a Stock what it should have looked like appearance.

8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Wow, that is about as thought out and conclusive an answer we are bound to see here on the ol SWF.
    It all sounds good to me. I think that you deserve the good hearted ribbing from your Poncho friends, but at the end of the day you are doing what you want, with your car and I am glad that includes you being able to drive it on the street.

9. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like a great project, Jeff. I've got a soft spot for those aluminum 215's, as it was my 'first engine'........

[​IMG]

10. cammerjeff

I rather like the little 215's in small cars, I decided to make this one what it would have looked like had it been originally installed in my car in 77. I used a few Rover 4.0 parts, like the 6 qt oil pan and pick up, and dip stick, and Valve covers. I then had a friend of mine engrave arrow heads and the letters PMD on the convenient flat spots on the castings. I also will be using the Rover Tri Y shorty headers. An Edlebrock Performer intake, Buick 350 HEI, Buick V-6 Oil Filter adapter to angle the filter forward to clear the engine K member. And A lot of head modifications. And of course a Cam Swap. Stock rebuilt Carter AFB, and to top it off a 70's Corvette Duel snorkel Air Cleaner assembly. It should look good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last shot shows the mock up of the Rover Valve Covers, and headers before the engine was rebuilt, and the Valve covers engraved. I think they look pretty good, and they really change the look of the little Buick engine.
    [​IMG]

11. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, Jeff! That is going to be a fun toy when you get it put together. Can't wait to see if done.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Oh, I know, Jeff, as I was just funnin'. That 215 is a very good design, ahead of it's time for GM, and the dumb b*stards there should not ever have sold it all to Leyland/Range Rover. It really would've come in handy when the second gas crunch (or even the first one) hit.

13. phantom 309

phantom 309 havin a laugh

I like it when people go outside the norm for combinations,.

way back when i had hair,. i had at one time a green 69 camaro with an anemic fuel sucking 307 2bbl and a powerslide trans,.on the column shifter, manual drum brakes and manual steering,. rear quarters were already lightened by about 6" on each side, :)
    I got an old full size pontiac in a trade for some stuff,. and it had a 389 4bbl in it,.camaro got a transplant,. i blew up a succession of pontiac motors,. then i got a 455 wildcat motor,. it lasted longer,.then finally an olds 425 went in,.big block chevies were just too expensive,. and the plugs were ignorant to change,.
    I,ve no idea what the rear end ratio was but it sure was a hiway hauler,. and i blew the doors off many 396ss cars with that old wreck,. once i managed to get it to hook with a set of chrome reverse rims with the mickey thompson L50-15's,.and a bit of work with the mig welder on the spider gears,.
    the manual drum brakes were a liability tho,.

ah the days of run what ya brung,..build what you could scrounge,.

oh i forgot to add./ i had the air shocks pumped solid for the right stance, and to keep the wheel hop to a minimum,. :).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  14. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You're going to be able to 'sell' it to those that ask as a 'prototype Pontiac'....

15. gcs005

gcs005 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Have collected a few over the years plus parts vehicles. These are some favourites.

'57 Chevy

[​IMG]

'39 Chevy

[​IMG]

'57 Cadillac hearse

[​IMG]

'66 El Camino

[​IMG]

'81 El Camino (have a deal to trade this off for a '59 Edsel wagon)

[​IMG]