Wagon and wallet exhausted

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by jrwscout, Jul 18, 2012.

1. argo

argo Space Cowboy

Wagon Garage:
    It's a little tough to ask when they zoom by at 80 MPH and you are inside your house and wake up to the sound of blapping pipes and frightened crying children.

I believe that is called "Disturbing the Peace". Also, I am not accusing the OP, because not everyone with loud exhausts is inconsiderate, and as a "gray haired teenager" I am sure he is considerate of his neighbors. My next door neighbor has a LOUD Harley and he rides it all the time. Yet late at night when he comes home, I rarely hear him, and even if I do, it's not offensive because he is conscientious about riding gently and not rapping the throttle hard, keeping the pipes quiet. IMHO, if you have loud pipes you should have the sense to not wake up people who are in bed at a reasonable hour, or worse; frightening their children awake.

God I sound old.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe adding a crossover and perhaps resonators if room allows will do.

3. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Gray-haired teenager checking in....

1. I don't check gas mileage in the old wagon - not an issue for me since it's my fun car. I really don't have any idea of how fuel efficient it is. I don't know if lowering it helped the mileage or not.

2. When I turn onto my street, I don't go past 20 mph - usually around 15 mph. I live on the "feeder" street into my subdivision and as a result, most of the neighborhood has to pass my house to get onto the main roads. I've complained to our Homeowners Association and to the cops about speeders on that road - some of these people think they're going to make up time by speeding through our neighborhood. A few years ago the cops wanted to put up one of those speed-measuring signs that shows how fast you're going and asked if they could put it on my corner, taking up part of my yard. The street on the side of my house ends at my backyard (for future expansion I guess). I gladly agreed. It was fun watching people slow down, especially when I saw them and pointed to the sign. I purposely drive extra slow on our street to remind people that this is not an expressway. I also don't blip the throttle or make it roar - I've lived here 10 years and have never had a complaint; during that time I've always had an old car with Flowmaster 40's.

3. What is loud? Everyone has their own idea of what's too loud. I know my exhaust is on the "louder than normal" side of the spectrum, but I like it that way. It's not too loud that you can't carry on a conversation in normal tones both inside the car when it's moving and outside the car standing next to it. I've got a Subaru and Honda that you have to touch to feel if it's running because you won't hear them run. I wouldn't put after-market exhausts on either one - what's the point? But I want to hear that V8 thump....

As my grandfather used to say, "If everyone liked the same thing, everyone would want to marry your grandmother".

4. argo

argo Space Cowboy

Wagon Garage:
    :lolup::biglaugh::rofl::rofl::clap::rofl2:

5. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That looks totally sweet Scout! (y)

6. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like the look, scout...
    Those rectangular tips look identical to the tips on my friends 32 tudor sedan!
    You can see the outlets in the attached image.

Attached Files:

7. Rusty1

Rusty1 Member

Wagon Garage:
    So cool.....

Hi,
    I came upon your thread while browsing the forum. I like your exhausts and your wagon. I think it's fantastic! What a brilliant ride - I am really jealous!
    Rusty1

8. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Rusty1 and welcome aboard! I haven't been on the forum in several months but things have settled down in my personal life and I've been thinking about checking in on the wagon lovers - this was the nudge I needed!

Still have my wagon, didn't do a whole lot to it this year - did keep up on basic maintenance and flushed the radiator. Got to play with the wagon over the summer, went to a couple of car shows and cruise nights.

Transmission is slipping a little, but I'm sure it will get better on its own (yeah, right!). I will probably do something about it over the winter - either get the C4 in it rebuilt or make the jump to a Tremec 5 speed.

I'll check in on the other threads but just wanted to say Hi and thanks for noticing my wagon.

jrwscout