Travels of the Fury

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by OrthmannJ, Sep 28, 2017.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Thanks Marshall.
    The upholstery shop is going to do what they have to, but I'm hoping it's very minimal. The springs looked OK but the foam may need some attention.
    Yes, the Fury has factory A/C I remember as a kid my Dad saying that it didn't work (probably just needed to be recharged) but then the controls for the entire heat/AC system ceased working. I think it was largely vacuum controlled.
    It's on the list of things I would like to get working again someday.

2. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Expect to renew vacuum lines at 20 year intervals
    :rolleyes: Maybe, it's better to imply that the money's derived from the "family piggy bank", so that unpleasant civil servants don't arrive and start knocking on his door

3. OrthmannJ

So the fellow at the upholstery shop told me that the foam, springs and burlap was actually in very good condition on my seats. So he really didn't have to do much other than recover them. They are all done, but I haven't had a chance to run down and get them yet.

In the meantime I have done some work on the floorboards in the Fury. A fellow that works for us spent a decade working for the local paint supply outfit. He said that for what I am dealing with, the most cost effective route is to use POR15 and some fiberglass mesh. He said that once it hardens it will be as good as new, if not better.

So I ordered some POR15 from the local parts house and got me some fiberglass.

Nathaniel doing some prep work on the rear floor of his car.

IMG_2954.JPG IMG_2955.JPG

Passenger side front floorboard looking pretty janky.
    IMG_2953.JPG

Putting down the POR15
    IMG_2956.JPG

Little Fiberglass mesh
    IMG_2957.JPG IMG_2958.JPG

All coated IMG_2959.JPG

Now we wait for it to harden and probly apply another coat. Then we'll be ready to install the new insulation and carpet.

4. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    He's right - I did the frame rails of my 1971 C-10 with POR-15 about 19 years ago. If it isn't exposed to UV light, it's extremely durable as-is. If it will be exposed, it needs a top coat.

Are you doing the bottom too, or just the top interior side? Nice work!

EDIT: I also meant to say I am going to use POR-15 on the inside of my doors as well. It will be hard, durable, and really shed the water than gets in there.

5. OrthmannJ

That's great to hear. I haven't been back to check on it yet today, but I'm anxious to see how it looks. I am just planning on doing the interior side. It will be covered with some insulating material that has a foil backing. Then the carpet goes on over that so I don't intend to paint it.

6. OrthmannJ

Well, I got the seat belts in the mail yesterday and they look fantastic.

IMG_2971.JPG IMG_2974.JPG

This car originally came with two seat belts. One for the driver and one for the front passenger. A nine passenger car, two seat belts. Those were the days.
    When my Dad bought the Fury from Grandpa in 1987 one of the first things they did was go to a local wrecking yard an buy seat belts. I remember the one and only trip I took in the Fury before the "new" belts were installed. I was 6 years old, and I was riding the back seat (not the way back) and I kept standing up to see things. I thought it was so neat that I could move freely. Of course my Mom kept telling me to sit down...
    The belts that Dad and Grandpa installed were black 1980's era GM retractable lap belts. Although they work fine, I am going for more or a stock look for the Fury and decided to go with these instead of reinstalling the black ones.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  7. OrthmannJ

The Fury also has some good company at my Buddy's shop. His family has a Buick Electra 225 four door hardtop.
    It's far from perfect, but it's really cool! It's a perfect cruiser. Sometimes during the warmer months we meet up with all of the kids and go for a cruise and get ice cream.

IMG_2962.JPG IMG_2961.JPG IMG_2966.JPG IMG_2967.JPG

WagonTheDog and fannie like this.
  8. OrthmannJ

Exciting news! I picked up the seats this afternoon! They look fantastic, I can't wait to get them in the car. Unfortunately we will need to wait a little bit before they go in. I also picked up the under carpet pad/insulation at the same time.
    So that will go in first, then the new carpet and then finally the new seats.

IMG_2975.JPG IMG_2976.JPG

WagonTheDog likes this.
  9. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't know if I every mentioned a child hood friend, Lynn (male), who lived across the street from me. He went to some other school, but we got together once in a while. His family were also a 'Chrysler Corp' family. The vehicle of theirs I remember most was a Plymouth wagon quite similar to yours, only I remember it as a 1962 model, possibly having Savoy trim.

10. OrthmannJ

You have mentioned that before Marshall, but I certainly don't mind. I'm glad my car brings back those memories for you :thumbs2:

11. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

:drool: They'd make a great couple. I look forward to the day you start handing out cigars

12. OrthmannJ

Nathaniel and I took the seats and under-carpet padding over to the shop last night.

IMG_2980.JPG

I checked out the repair on the floorboard. I'm quite impressed with the way it has set up. I applied another coat of POR15 for good measure. I took a photo, but it's not very interesting. It looks pretty much the same as the last one.

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

How much was that roll of underlay mat, and how much material's in the roll?

14. OrthmannJ

The entire roll was $80. It's 48" wide and four yards long. Should be plenty to cover the entire floor.

15. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's great to see your repairs coming along. They did a nice job with your seats, they look great.