The daily driver

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by TonyU, Dec 3, 2019.

1. TonyU

TonyU Member

I live in Southern Ca so, year round

2. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    80s Wagons shouldn't be a problem, then. You might still want to get it sprayed with Fluid Film (Sheep Oil) on the undercarriage, in the quarter panels and in the wheel arches though just to prevent rust on rainy days. Never breathe Fluid Film, though. I've worked with it; it's thick in the air and it messes with your head. It is a very good rust preventing spray since it sticks to whatever you spray it on, it's almost like grease.

3. TonyU

TonyU Member

Thanks 101. Do you suggest I spray the Buick Wagon with fluid film as well?

4. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Yes. Any car you want to prevent rust on should get Fluid Film sprayed on it. I should note however, Fluid Film does "climb" up vertical surfaces if water goes down the surfaces. Example: the doors on my Suburban since I sprayed F.F. inside them. Come 6 months later, there are dark lines gradually moving upwards on the outsides of the doors. The residue's easily wiped off with a microfiber cloth, though.

5. TonyU

TonyU Member

I’m going to order some tonight. Do you just put the car on jack stands ? Is it aerosols or brush on? Thank you again

6. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, the car should be at least on jack stands and you could brush it on or you could spray it. If you spray it, I have to once again say you really should not breathe it. The first time I breathed it, I got a hefty dose and my mood went all over the place then I dreamed that I murdered Gomer Pyle by spraying him with Fluid Film. And no, I'm not kidding; I did dream that.

Here's the gun I used:

[​IMG]

It comes with tubes that can attach to the end of the nozzle; assuming that older (pre 90s) wagons have plastic inserts you may remove, you could insert the tube and spray the fluid film in quarter panels and rocker panels from the inside where you don't have access otherwise. I did this on my Suburban and Explorer. If rust is present, it won't stop it but Fluid Fllm does prevent water from staying.

Here's a video a man in his garage made to show how penetrating oils and Fluid Film work against rust. Fluid Film came out working better than most of the products tested:

Doghead likes this.
  7. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Even if it didn't fight rust, the stuff would be worth its weight in gold in other ways. I wish, they'd hurry up and invent that time machine. I've got a list of vintage television personalities with whom I need to even past scores :stirthepot:

[​IMG]

8. TonyU

TonyU Member

Sorry about Gomer Pyle. RIP Gomer. I’m off on a emergency business trip, again. As soon as I get back the oil should arrive and I’ll be under the wagon. My wagon has a light film of rust underneath it so I hope this will make it go away. It did come from PA

thanks 101. You are incredible!
    Tony

9. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    You're welcome. Thanks.

Well, Fluid Film doesn't dissolve rust but it does stop new rust from coming up as badly. Rust (when it's on cars) tends to be a much bigger job than is often expected. Once you have rust, it's no longer metal (so to speak) and if you paint over any speck of rust (except "black rust" which looks like black-stained metal) you wasted your time; it'll take a few weeks or months but the rust will bleed right through the paint like blood through cloth.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  10. TonyU

TonyU Member

I’m learning a lot from you. What about just a very light coat, like on the driveshaft

11. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I'm uncertain whether I should say "Yes" or "No" here. Drive Shafts aren't near as rust problematic as bumpers, rocker panels, quarter panels, fenders, floor panels and frames. If you put the drive shaft out of balance, it'll mess with the car every time the shaft rotates. Then again, Fluid Film won't hold on to the drive shaft very much and it should fling off.

But if you're wondering how much you should coat metal panels, I'd just spray in an individual section slowly. Seems to me like the doors, wheel arches, rockers, quarter panels, fenders, floors and frames are the most problematic.

And again, expect the Fluid Film to crawl up the opposite side of whatever you spray it on. Sorry I didn't think of this before just now but you might want to wipe the wheel arches every so often since Fluid Film might climb up behind a wagon's fake wood. I couldn't tell what damage (if any) it would do to the fake wood.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The driveshaft's made of steel that when it gets a coat of rust, does not rot further, unless it already has a flaw in the metal.

101Volts likes this.
  13. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

That's why I do things Old School. Guys just getting into the business like using a "flex" (that's what they call them, over here) for cutting away rusted panels. What they can't see, through doing that, is how far rust has creeped into the panels. The only way to assure that you've amputated all cancer cells is to use a torch, in order to melt all contaminated surfaces back to where the sheetmetal is still in original shape. The flying sparks caused by the moisture trapped under the scale is a little inconvenient for some. But, if you bear it, the repair will be rewarding. Once all of that's out, I simply braze all of the damage shut. I won't use a MIG welder for this sort of work. In fact, not for anything which is under an eighth of an in thickness. Brazing is guaranteed hermetic. When you use arc welders and MIGs, the only way to test hermetics is to use ultrasound equipment

101Volts likes this.
  14. TonyU

TonyU Member

I love this forum, thanks for all the great info. Will let you know how the coating goes when I get back from work.

101Volts likes this.
  15. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Got an 84 and 93 caprice wagons. The 93 with fuel injection the 305 has plenty of power, My 84 with 106K on the motor is no comparison. The 93 gets 22mpg the 84 around 17mpg.

101Volts likes this.