Steering wheel resto

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by tbirdsps, Jul 21, 2008.

1. carmangary

carmangary New Member

JB Weld makes a 2 part putty that might work.

2. Motion

Motion New Member

I use a two part epoxy for plastic repair. You can find it in any parts supply or body shop supply house. It comes in a syringe so equal parts of the epoxy are dispensed.
    I use a small carbide cutter to "V" out the cracks. A hand file will work also. Use a small spreader to apply the epoxy and then let it dry over night. A little sanding and primer and it's ready to go. This is the only thing I have found that doesn't expand and contract.
    The wheel on my Chevelle had at least 15 to 20 cracks. Eight years later and it still looks new.

Attached Files:

3. Bowser1989

Bowser1989 New Member

Kinda off subject but can you swap a 89 steering wheel with cruise control onto a 90 up grand marquis with cruise control and not have too many issues with wiring the cruise control. Does the post 90 come with airbag in the wheel?

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No idea on the specific wheels, but this site is loaded with original brochures you can download, for each year. The brochures list and show the various steering wheels for the model year.
    http://www.lov2xlr8.no/broch1.html

5. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

I'd bet you can. Ford seldom changed the wiring for cruise control. I would guess that pretty much any Ford after 1992 had an airbag in the steering wheel.

6. Bowser1989

Bowser1989 New Member

sweet thanks!

7. 1sic63

1sic63 New Member

Wow...great ideas. Has everyone here tried the stuff from POR15? I also heard people using bondo/putty also.

8. carcrazycollector

carcrazycollector Member

Regarding steering wheel restoration, I have several classic and antique cars and have restored them utilizing high end body filler.The correct procedure to restoring any part especially a steering wheel is to remove all contaminints prior to commencing work, followed by filing,grinding and or sanding a v groove in each crack. The bondo utilizes a two part epoxy resin mixture that allows this to adhere to almost anything, and certainly to most all steering wheels.A primer surfacer should be applied once you think the repairs that have been made are adequately performed, followed by a light sanding and wiping to remove any particulates,now your ready for the primer sealer,(aerosol cans will work from automotive store) after applying theprimer sealer you are ready to apply the finish. I reccomend a acrylic urethane based finish, although I know some guys will use an acrylic lacquer finish. Check your local automotive paint supply store for whats best in your situation.

9. Tanner

Tanner Member

Wagon Garage:
    Me too i need to repair the steering wheel from my cadillac.

it already out of the car and i have to repair it during this winter, i'll take some pics during the job, thanks to this topic :tiphat:

[​IMG]

10. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    1990 and 91 are essentially the same car, and both are airbag equipped, I believe.

11. customcruiserfan

customcruiserfan Well-Known Member

My green 71 Oldsmobile steering wheel is badly cracked, but I found a dark blue '74 for sale in very good shape.

1) Anyone know for sure if the '71 horn pad would fit (the Olds horn pad was modified in '74, but the wheel seems the same)?

2) Can steering wheels be painted or otherwise changed in color to look close to stock?

Thanks,

CCFan

12. carcrazycollector

carcrazycollector Member

Steering wheel Painting

It is generally accepted to most that the steering wheel is something they leave undone buy one in better shape or aftermarket. However in more recent years there is an upswing in the restoration of steering wheels undoubtedly due to their shortage for a particular vehicle and the rising cost of those few (good ) ones left. Painting as most who have accomplished this repeatedly whether professional or not agree that the preparation work is key. First the wheel must be wiped down preferably with an alcohol base product such as isopropylol then a wax and grease remover. Stay away from lacquer thinner if you can it will leave behind contaminants.Repair of any cracks at this time will need to be addressed followed by priming sanding and then top coating. If you plan to repair plan on grinding any crack out to a V so the filler will adhere to the wheel.I recommend base coat clear-coat acrylic urethane, however they still in some states sell single stage two part epoxy.I have even on older cars use a Acrylic lacquer. Depending on skill set affordability and amount of use as well as type of vehicle and value of said vehicle.

13. numad82

numad82 Member

I had a 68 camaro steering wheel that had 1/8 to 1/4 inch cracks all around it, a friend showed me a trick using a model airplane glue. Still holding up after ten years. I used semi-gloss black paint from Menards to paint it.

14. customcruiserfan

customcruiserfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Numad :)

15. hotrodprimer

hotrodprimer New Member

I guess this would only apply to the plastic style 50's & 60's steering wheels with cracks but this is how I did the wheel on the "Ranch Wagon".

There are many different ways to repair a steering wheel,,this is how I did mine.

I decided to repair my cracked and damaged steering wheel for the '54 "Ranch Wagon" and thought my photo's might inspire someone that is thinking about repairing their own steering wheel.

This is what I started with,

[​IMG]

Basically the wheel had a lot of chips and hair line cracks,,and a few really deep cracks that need filling.

The tools are simple and I would think most of you have them in your tool box,,or in a kitchen drawer.

files,assorted utility knives,hacksaw blade,sandpaper,bondo spreader,assorted toothpicks and pieces of wood and a screw driver,,and PC-7 epoxy,,your tool list may be different but I think you guys get the idea.

[​IMG]

After all the gouging and spreading the cracks to get a slight V groove I started trying to wipe the PC-& on smoothly with the plastic spreader and small pieces of wood,,it became quite apparent within a few minutes that I had the best spreader for the job attached to my hand,,,my fingers worked extremely well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I let it dry until the next day and started to sand,,I'll point out my mistake now so you guys can avoid it,,this stuff doesn't sand as easy as you would think so smear it on just enough to cover the chips and cracks,,don't cake it on in spots like I did.

This is what the wheel looked like after a few hours of sanding,,I did have to go back and address a few small hairline cracks I missed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the final sanding I wiped the wheel down the final prep and shot it with etching primer.

[​IMG]

At this phase of the project the wheel sat idle for a while,,the time between priming your steering wheel and painting it may differ from my time frame,,you could paint it the next day,,mine got put on hold for about a year and four months and it finally got painted this past Friday.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how it looks in the wagon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the same color on the wheel as the outside window trim,,Dupont urethane base coat/clear coat.

I think it turned out pretty good. HRP