SARGE - ROAD WARRIOR

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Paladin62, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Inspired by "Tales of the Fury". I plan to periodically post the progress, travels and upgrades of "Sarge". Stand by for more...

2016. I looked around the driveway and realized I needed a grocery getter. Not just any GG, I wanted a Classic Chevy. I had a Mercedes sedan and three Corvettes. I needed something to go to Home Depot in.

I told my wife that I was gonna start looking for a classic station wagon. She suggested that I not get another project car and just go get a Suburban. She pointed out that I would be using the vehicle for hunting, fishing and trips to the golf course. I thought about that and concluded that I still wanted a classic wagon. I told the wife that I could buy a Suburban for $40-50k or spend half that restoring a classic wagon and be happier. She said OK.

I started looking for a 62 Chevy to complement my 62 Vette. After several months of dead-ends I was frustrated. I missed one in Denver and found one in Louisiana, but it was a rust bucket. I missed another in Oklahoma. I was lamenting my fruitless search with a golf buddy when he suggested I go on Craig’s List.

I didn’t have a lot of faith in Craig’s List and frankly didn’t feel comfortable with those types of transactions since I was reading about people getting robbed when meeting Craig’s List sellers. But I was desperate.

I logged on to the site and “Holey Moley” the first post said “1960 Chevrolet Parkwood, runs and drives, $10,000 – Kingwood Tx – Scott A”. Kingwood was on the northeast side of Houston and I lived on the southwest side. We were about 60 miles apart. The phone call with Scott A was brief and cordial. I suggested we meet at the Chase Bank in a large strip center near his home. He agreed. I put my Glock under my shirt and enlisted a Corvette club associate to accompany me to meet Scott A. It was love at first site. I couldn’t let Scott A see my excitement, but I was over the moon. I kept it together long enough to utilize what I had learned watching “American Pickers” and “Pawn Stars” to negotiate the deal. I withdrew the “hundred-dollar bills” I promised Scott A, cut the deal and got the wagon and title. We drove the wagon home that night and it performed flawlessly. 1 Sarge RW.jpg

Attached Files:

WagonTheDog, markfnc, fannie and 2 others like this.
  2. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

outstanding!!! this is going to be another great thread.

fannie and OrthmannJ like this.
  3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I agree 100%! I'm looking forward to following along.

4. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Really looking forward to your thread. Your wagon looks amazing, love the fins. So glad the deal worked out and there was no need for the Glock. My stomach clenched when I read that. Being a east coast Canadian, it just isn't something that falls into everyday conversation.
    So has Sarge been to Home Depot yet? I really enjoyed packing stuff into the back of my Lil'Sis when I had her. I'll be watching for your Road Warrior adventure.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Did your wife make you eat those badly-chosen words?:whistle:(y)(n)

6. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    The wife is clueless!!:);)

In Texas everyone carries...it's the law.

kevdupuis, OrthmannJ and fannie like this.
  7. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Very psyched it worked out so well for you, Paladin. Looks like a great find and I know you and the Mrs are going to enjoy the heck out of it. Eager to hear some adventure stories. Best of luck.

8. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    Scott A was well on his way to making a Rat Rod outta the wagon. I wanted something more traditional. I knew right away that the tires and wheels were coming off. No way would I run on the stock width tires, or white walls. So, I checked with the guy who was buying my project 73 Corvette. He didn't plan to use the Vette wheels. So, the very first thing I did was pull the wheels and tires from the Vette and put them on the wagon. 1 Sarge.jpg 3 Sarge.jpg 19 Sarge.jpg

Before I sent the Vette to its next owner, I changed out the wheels and tires...that was ugly. Stafford-Missouri City-20170424-00053.jpg
    With the Vette outta the storage place, I started assessing what I had. Of course, the first thing was to make sure it was road ready mechanically. Starting with the suspension, I determined that I would need new springs, front and rear, shocks, tie rod ends, and ball joints. I started buying the parts and would install them as soon as I got em. 20180708_113535 (1).jpg IMG-20170509-00084.jpg
    Every day was a new adventure...I was excited and having a ball!! My hot rod and Vette buddies would swing by from time to time and catch me under the wagon. Some of them figured out pretty quick that I'd put them to work. We'd fiddle with the wagon, map out its future, have a beer and fire up a cigar. Talking with those guys really helped me.

I was having BIG FUN!

9. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

thank you for posting , your wagon is a blast !!!!

10. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    Scott A had lots but not all of the interior moulding. I drove downtown to his job and picked up all the wagon parts he had pulled off the wagon. I took an inventory and started surfing ebay for whatever I was missing. 4 Sarge.jpg 5 Sarge.jpg
    Some of the pieces popped up right away. The most elusive section was a short section that goes just behind the rear door under the triangular glass. ((having trouble remembering its name). Anyway, I never got that and did a workaround. Once I had all the molding, I sent it out to be powder coated. Before I trashed the rear compartment panels, I made cardboard templates from the remnants. IMG-20170507-00077.jpg
    I sat the molding aside to be installed after the interior was finished.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  11. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

very cool !!!!

12. OrthmannJ

I agree!

13. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    My weekly post has been delayed. The misses had a head-on collision last Thursday. A 16-year-old ran a red light and ran straight into her! I cannot overstate the safety of the Mercedes CLS. She and my granddaughter avoided serious injury. The wife has a broken ankle which was surgically repaired yesterday. Both wife and granddaughter have concussion and bruises. I'm nurse betty and driving Miss Dasiey for the next 60 days. :-( 20220310_165411.jpg 20220310_165440.jpg

14. OrthmannJ

Wow.
    Just glad to hear that your wife and granddaughter are OK. Praying for a full recovery for the both of them.

15. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

thank god everyone is good, prayers to all