Life Changes in Texas

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 81X11, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    You have a smart wife..........;)!
    Good luck to everyone.

2. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Mike, I just read your post and am in awe of you. Such a good man!

David :)

3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

That's a lot going on, big adjustments all over again. I really hope all goes well for the kids although I'm sure you will keep a watchful eye:yup:

I don't even think we need a member of the year contest, you and your honey have one it hands down:tiphat:
    [​IMG]

4. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Tedy: They have done so for the second year in a row! If they win next year too, we have to give them the "Lifetime Achievement" and remove them from competition!

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    81....I dont know what to say....i know how attached you are to those kids !
    I feel bad for ya pal

but quite honestly....you know these kids...and I think I know you....
    ...and you'll do whats best for them ....;)

you and the family get my heartfelt sympathy.

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

David, I don't think you could have said it any better.
    Mike, you are a good man, and a good father. I am thankful for you and the good influence you have been to your kids. Keep up the good work. It will pay off for years to come.

7. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    For those following my family soap opera down here, this is the latest update. We still have ALL our kids, which I'm happy about. Since I last posted, we've had both Lily and Tuck's birthdays, and lots of other stuff..... Halloween was fun, and Johnathan is doing really well in ROTC. He loves it.

As usual, here's some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their father John has come down the past few weekends to look for apartments, but with his history he's finding it harder than he thought to get one big enough for them all.

I still have no idea what's going to happen. For now we're taking it as it comes. He has taken them bowling, to the movies and out to eat. I think they are glad to know he still wants them, but I also think they would rather keep living with us and just have their Dad come get them for fun outings and such.

On the upside, their Dad looks much better than I've EVER seen him, and seems happy. He loves that Blazer we found, and it's been reliable so far. He's keeping it clean too. I think it's the first time he's had a decent vehicle in 20 years.

[​IMG]

Even more amazing, he and my wife are getting along, or at least tolerating each other. He came over a few weeks back, and he, Misty and all the kids carved pumpkins together for Halloween. I was speechless....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a weird world folks. Will check in when I can.

-Mike

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks again Mike and it's a wonderful thing you guys are doing.

9. MikeT1961

It is a strange old world, that's for sure, but you guys are doing an amazing thing. For those kids, at least, the world is a lot less weird than it would be otherwise. My admiration of you just keeps expanding. Prayers and the very best thoughts are headed your way, as always.

10. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So just to share, we are back down from 5 to 2 kids here in the Massey household. Yesterday was moving day. With the help of my Dad and my brother Dave we filled up the Denali, Dad’s Dodge Ram, and our trailer with all the kids furniture, clothes, computers, books, toys and such and moved them up to Temple. It’s amazing how much STUFF they accumulated in the year and 8-months they lived with us, and even more amazing we got it all in John’s little apartment.

Their father has been through a year of therapy, has held a full-time job for four months now. He got his driver's license, that S-10 Blazer I found for him, and has a small apartment. Once school got out, he was ready to take the kids in with him.

We left Austin around 3pm and got to the apartment at about 3:45, so it’s not too bad a drive to Temple. My Dad, the kids and John managed to get everything unloaded in about an hour. We got the kids beds set up, got the computer desk in and up, and Lily’s cat finally got released, only to be terrified by John’s dogs, this after crying it’s head off in its cage the entire drive up.

Dad left with the trailer once we had unloaded his truck and trailer, and he headed back for Austin. I took Tuck and Eddie and we went to Wal-Mart and went grocery shopping for them. Got them at least two week’s worth of food, a new shower curtain rod and rings, cat food and litter, paper towels, toilet paper, and bathroom stuff. Also got the boys both bed-in-a-bags so they will have nice new sheets and comforters for the bunk beds.

The boys are sharing a room again, and Lily gets her own room. John has a futon in the living room, and that’s where he sleeps.

The kids seemed ok when we left. All three gave me hugs and Lily hugged Tuck. I don’t think they were thrilled to be there, but they’ve accepted it. Dad and I were cordial with John, and he was in ok spirits, but I have the feeling he’s pretty overwhelmed.

I really felt bad pulling away from there, but they are his kids, and hopefully this will all work out.

I got home and Eddie and Tuck began arguing over bedrooms and setups as soon as we walking in the door. I told Misty I needed some alone time, and she gave me a hall pass, so I hopped in my Woody Wagon and went to the Cruise-In at the Top Notch Drive-In down in Austin, alone. Was SO weird not to have ANY kids in the car with me. First time in a long time I’ve headed out on a weekend with an empty car.

I WILL keep tabs on the kids and will see them as often as I can. As a matter of fact I’ll be driving up there next Saturday to get Lily. She and I are going to the Republic of Texas Bike Rally downtown on the motorcycle next Saturday night. Maybe I can get to Temple early enough to take all three kids out to lunch before Lily and I head back to Austin. We’ll see what happens.

Anyway that’s the latest. I’ll do what I can to help them as needed. Been an odd couple years. If you are the praying type, shoot one their way.

Michael

[​IMG]

11. chefdough

chefdough junior member

Wagon Garage:
    Texas

What a unselfish act! These kids look amazing. Best of luck to you and your growing family.(y)

12. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Will keep the kids in my prayers. I hope it all works out for everyone (even the cat).

13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the update Mike. I'm sure there are mixed feelings. Hope this works out well. I'm lost for additonal words. You and Misty are the best!:tiphat:
    Oh, now is there room for me to move in? Texas is sounding better each time you report.

Ooops forgot about the cat. Good luck kitty!

14. MikeT1961

Mike, you are going to find a hole in your life for a while, but man, you and Misty earned your angels' wings, not to mention the admiration and respect of everyone who knows even part of the story. You are an inspiration to everyone, make no mistake. I have no doubt at all that you set an example that inspires others to try to make this tired old world a better place. Prayers are going up for those kids and their father, and for you and your family. Blessings on you head, you are, quite simply, a MENSCH! There is no higher compliment I can think of. God Bless.

15. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

I know I barely post anymore but I read what I can and have kept up, at least in part with your posts. There is nothing I can add or say that hasn't already been said so all I can say now is Ditto and I'm proud.