engines from hell

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by a1awind, Dec 11, 2009.

1. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    so i was called tonight my my father-in-law he was stuck at a gas station about 3 miles away. he got off the turnpike on the way home. and his 2004 Chrysler sebring convertible lost power...so he pulled into the gas station and checked his oil...was a quart low...he added. then when he started the car...heard a rude noise and shut it off and called me.

i got there... he was sure the water pump blew...so i had him start the car.
    ohhhh man... that engine is toast! i heard loud banging comming from the bottom of the engine and its running rough. it has a 2.7 v6 and i was told the 2.7 is the worst engine chrysler ever made.

what do you think is the worst engine ever made?

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Vega 4-banger or Firenza 4-banger.

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Yeah, off the top of my head, the Vega 4 was going to be my vote.....

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've got another one...the original 2.8 V6 in the Chevy Citation, etc......Had a Pontiac 6000 with the engine. Made a lot of noise, not much power........

5. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    #1 Yugo, if they broke 40K you had a record breaking motor.
    #2 RWD 3.8 Buick, THE most gutless V6 ever built
    #3 Pontiac 301, THE most pathetic excuse for a V8
    #4 1983-84 TBI 302, What a slug!
    #5 GM 5.7 Diesel, could not move itself out of its own way, let alone anything it was stuffed into.
    #6 2.8 V6 FORD, what an abortion

There are a bunch more, but I do not have the time to think of them all right now.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Caddy 4100. Many puked driving home from the new car dealership! And, for SOME unknown reason, Caddy is STILL sticking with that aluminum POS!

7. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

How about that 4-6-8 that Caddy had back in the late 80's, I think it was. Not only did the 4 6 8 function not work well, the engines would only last until about 65000 miles when they'd roll over and die. An absolutely horrible motor.

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think that was the same engine....the 4100 that was converted to that 4-6-8.

9. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so too SF. Funny we both came up with the same engine. They say "great minds" think alike!

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Exactly right, snoot!(y) But...it doesn't take much thought to come up with that POS engine...LOL.

11. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    i thought the 4-6-8 was supposedly not bad when the 4-6-8 computer was removed and the engine run normally. but i cant recall the last time i saw a seville bustle-back

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I bought and sold 9 of those Seville's when I lived in Naples, FL. Bought condo cars with hardly any miles on them and resold them. I LOVED those cars! Except, for the 4100 engine. I cringed everytime I turned the key. If you happened to get a good runner though...these were GREAT cars! I drove one for a couple of years and, except for engine fear, it was one of my favorite cars. But...trust me...the 4100 was an aluminum disaster.

13. datto62073

datto62073 Datsun Freak

lets see..... the 2.8l gm in anything but a car, 2.8l ford gutless wonder, GM quad4, chrysler 2.7l (no oil cooler hence the problem), an UNMODIFED 2.6l mitsubishi 4 cyl, and of course any caddy 4-6-8 system

14. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

Volvo had a V-6 in the Bertone coupes in the late 70s, the same engine went on to make many Volvo mechanics loose their hair till about 1990s.

What a joke of an engine. It was a conjunction between Peugeot, Renault, and Volvo. The original was a V-8 but when the gas crunch of the 70s hit, the three decided to cut out two cylinders. However, since it was the last min. they did this, the engine was never re-engineered for the V-6 properly.

I have worked on a handful when I was a Volvo tech. First time I came in, it pulled up in the service drive, ALL the techs pretty much ran away. So there I was, standing there like a dope......got handed the paper work.

It was a 1990 Bertone 780, "running rough". Well most never really ran that great. Found he used cheep tune up parts from Auto Zone (I work there, I don't even buy parts from there). Got it running a bit better, went to pull it out of my stall, it died.

The MAF sensor went out. Guess all that wiggling with going the tune up ticked it off, and that was it. Replaced that, went to pull it out, died again. Fuel pump this time.....FINALLY got the little coupe running.

The whole car was a joke. Half was built in Sweden, then finished in Italy. And along with the engine having three major car companies in it, along with this 1990 having over 200k, and very very poorly maintained.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Volvo780.jpg

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  15. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    hmmm.... anytime Renault seems to get their hands on things ...they go terribly wrong!