Define "Station wagon"

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by irsa76, May 14, 2006.

1. irsa76

irsa76 addict. Charter Member

Since this is potentionally a touchy subject I think we should discuss it early in this forum's life.
    My question is, should we limit the description of a station wagon to that of a sedan based 2 or 4 door vehicle with a lengthed roof over an enclosed luggage area that is not seperated from the passenger area, usually with a vertical, or nearly vertical, rear end? This would include vehicles like the Kia Serrato, Kia Rio, PT Cruiser and Scion Xb but exclude vehicles like early Audi 100 Advants, Lancia Beta HPE and Volvo P1800ES. Although I gather that the last 2 are usually considered coupes in some places. This discription would also exclude SUVs and passenger vans. Personally I would include SUVs and cars like the Lancia HPE, but exclude cars like the Kia Serrato, the Rio just scrapes in as far as I'm concerned. Maybe we should simply follow what the authorities say?

2. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    There are models like the Toyota Matrix that would be considered wagons by some and vans/hatchbacks/crossovers by others. My neighbour has a Kia Rio (like the silver one attached) and I consider it a wagon, but the 2006 model looks more like a hatchback. I like wagons and hatchbacks, so im not going to be strict on what defines a station wagon, but SUV and van discussions will be moved to the off topic section :D.

Attached Files:

3. irsa76

I agree that passenger vans aren't really station wagons, and that any discussion on them should be in an off topic area, I feel that the smaller SUVs are little more then station wagons with a higher ride height. An Australian 4wd magazine once decided that only SUVs that are built on a seperate chassis, or have a unibody reinforced to mimic a chassis, have a low range transfer case and are designed for off road work will be featured. They called every thing else a tall station wagon. As you can imagine, that left a large selection of the SUV market in Australia unfeatured in that magazine. Needless to say they no longer have that attitude.

4. roadship

roadship New Member Charter Member

According to Wikipedia:

5. irsa76

I think that description works pretty well for our purpose. Although some cars, 1st gen Kia Rio being 1, may cause debate among members.

6. wagonmaster

Wagon Garage:
    I agree, the first gen Rio is a stationwagon.

7. mechanic

mechanic New Member Charter Member

What about the original Range Rover? It is classed as an estate on the British Log Book (title) but I do not classify it as such. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

8. wagonmaster

Wagon Garage:
    The image does not work. Can please upload it to your post?
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

Thanks

9. irsa76

This is where things get confused. 30 years ago the Range Rover was a Station wagon. Today it is an SUV. Personally I consider the Range Rover a station wagon, but I consider the Discovery an SUV.

10. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    ....didn't they stop making wagons in the 80's????:D
    ...maybe thats just my opinion:49:
    ....hehehe....just stirrin the pot guys