cd's

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by a1awind, May 14, 2012.

1. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Shheze, I listen to the factory stock radios in my cars.:rofl2:

I did buy some CD's when I first got my old truck, but the novelty wore off with in a month.

I remember being a young teen and going to the record store with my dad, cassete tapes were the big thing and I remember Dad, in a corner digging through a small box of 8 tracks.. Fast forward to my daughters 16th B-Day and I took her to wall mart to pic out a few CD's and I just happened to find, in a corner, a small box of cassete tapes! I falshed back to the record store and realized...... I had become my Dad!:rofl2:

2. 1982caprice station wagon

1982caprice station wagon Racecar Driver

Wagon Garage:
    I believe you are THE youngest member, cap. And I find it heartening that you look to the past as well as the future.(y)[/QUOTE]

i love everything about the past, im a real big "history buff", h*ll, i even prefer watching VHS's over DVD's!! but shhh:shhh: :p

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cool story, Tedy. And so true how we became the parents that we used to think "never understood us".:D

4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverfox [​IMG]
    Hell....I even had some OLD records that you dare not drop!

I remember those... I was maybe 10 years old and my Dad and I were in Maine or Vermont(??) traveling, in some small small town there was a old movie theater that was a antigue museum tourist trap. Wow, talk about memory flash back!! There was a 60 Edsil parked infront (Her car) and I had neber seen a edsil in person. accross the street at a gas station was a 57 Ford ranchero, again I had never seen one in person! The old lady ave us the tour and had a mountain of those wax cylinder records. She played one for us on her antuiqe player...I remember the song as she said to me " I have to find something you would listen too". She played that song..... " Look at that man in his flying machine.....it goes up dilly up,,,t goes dilly down,,,up down, flying around......"

Heavy Metal for back in those days!:biglaugh:

http://www.cylinder.de/guide_brown-wax-cylinders.html

5. sgath92

sgath92 Creepy & Morbid

I still buy CDs & records, though as soon as I can get around to it I convert them to mp3 and then never touch the physical copies again. The only reason why I keep the physical copies after that is in case I loose my computer files. Physical media can lay on a shelf for 50 years and still be used, but digital media only lasts as long as you're proactively maintaining it. This has bailed me out only once, since usually I have backup copies of my music to revert to [in that one case the backup device had failed while sitting in storage].

I prefer cds because they're the fastest to convert to mp3 and take up the least space, but I will buy a record if no cd version was made [or if it cannot be found to purchase]. I will buy mp3 files only as a last resort.

For playing music I went from making mix tapes straight to mp3 files. If they made minimalistic car radios w/gps at tablet-depth with only SD slots for removable storage & no optical drive, I would consider it. I can fit a lot of 192 kbps mp3s [in cars odds are your speakers aren't going to be good enough to take advantage of anything better] on a 16gb sd card. CDs have nothing on that.

6. BigBird87

BigBird87 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have about 20 CD's, the majority is vinyl, 8-track or cassette. No digital media for me.
    I just set up my old turntable/8-track player in the basement the other night after getting a free set of speakers, enjoyed KISS and Cheap Trick at a loud volume. Quite satisfying.

7. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    whenever i borrow Stoves p/u....i spend all my time switching stations as they pee me off......not fond of it.....but i like the variety....Im torn:confused:

I just bought the program deelio to burn all my vinyl into the Puter.....that should keep me busy alll freekin winter....:yahoo:
    as for buying CDs...not for years thats for sure...but i borrow them and steal what i want into my Itunes:)

and considering my vast collection of crappy old stereos....i never use tapes or 8's anymore:confused:....its all on MP3's !!!......which is the same dilema as the 'satellite'.....im constantly hitting "next"....:rednose:

8. volvo765ti

volvo765ti lol volvos

I'll pick up listening to CDs again when I get into my own place and can set up a nice hi-fi system. I can't remember the last time I actually listened to a CD recently, though.

I no longer have a CD player in my car. It's got a Pioneer MVH-P8200BT, which is just a radio, AUX input and USB input with bluetooth capability for pairing a phone for hands-free. I just plug in my nearly-full 160gb iPod Classic and call it good.

9. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    I was a big cassette person until High School. Then I got some CD's and that was it for a couple years then I went back to cassettes. Stayed that way until my wife won an iPod shuffle and she already had an MP3 player so I got that one and then got the eMatic 4GB one from Wal-Mart and as soon as I get a decent windshield mount for my Galaxy S II phone, it's 16GB so I'll use it instead. Love the MP3 files, I have well over 16GB of them totaling 3240 tracks including hour-long comedy shows and live sets from Metallica, Grateful Dead, and more.

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    When you got to iPod it became Greek. I have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about?? :oops: :biglaugh::biglaugh:

11. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Let me see if I can translate for you:

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks W88! That sure does clear it up for me!:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

13. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    Put another way if you played all my music on my computer from beginning to end it would take over 9 days to hear it all.

14. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I never turn on the car radios. I listen to my wife tell me where to go! Same reason I don't have a GPS. I listen to my wife tell me where to go!
    On this computer I must have a million tunes but it disturbs my wife..... so I just listen to her telling me where to go. Sounds like a broken 78 RPM record huh!:rofl2:
    Listen to Your Master's Voice!

15. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a LOT of records! :yup: :banana: :rofl2: