Being scammed on Colony Park sale

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 90merc, Jan 11, 2015.

  1. Krash Kadillak

    Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Messages:
    21,109
    Likes Received:
    2,062
    Trophy Points:
    798
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Springfield, Oregon
    Stay solid on that. You don't 'need' a buyer that bad that you risk losing your money - and the wagon. If the guy wants it that bad, he'll do it your way. Certified cashier's check, in your name, and wagon doesn't leave until the check clears. That's how I bought the WBM. It's the buyer who should assume any transaction risk, not you.
     
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

    Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2014
    Messages:
    14,984
    Likes Received:
    2,995
    Trophy Points:
    720
    Location:
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's fine if a "potential" buyer calls me and we speak rather than text, but the big complaint is the fact that there are certain signs that point to the possibility of getting rooked.
     
  3. 90merc

    90merc Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    Messages:
    884
    Likes Received:
    106
    Trophy Points:
    157
    Location:
    New Jersey
    Right KK. No car seller should accept PayPal for payment unless associated with an eBay listing of their own.
     
  4. jaxops

    jaxops Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2009
    Messages:
    354
    Likes Received:
    31
    Trophy Points:
    87
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I always ask for cash, no matter how much it is. Usually they hang up or stop emailing. If that doesn't work I let them know that my relative is an FBI Agent. That worked for the "Windows Repair" calls from New York and Minnesota....backtracked to Mumbai!!
     
  5. jmt455

    jmt455 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Messages:
    2,377
    Likes Received:
    250
    Trophy Points:
    228
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    SE Michigan
    You really can't trust a certified check, either. Lots of scams!!
    However you get paid, make sure the buyer knows that the vehicle will not be released until the money clears the banking process and is physically in your account.

    I think the best way to sell a car is to request a wire transfer (bank to bank). It is fast, secure and relatively inexpensive.
     
  6. moparandfomoco

    moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    339
    Trophy Points:
    210
    Location:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Yep, I had some hammerhead tell me he was in Ohio or Michigan one time I had an old Mopar for sale. His spelling was atrocious. Probably was in Nigeria. I emailed him back that I would be glad to show him and let him drive the car, and that I had friends in the Midwest, but with all the assing around I was doing with this guy because I knew he was fake, HE gave up on me.

    I love it.
     

Share This Page