1996 Bronco - Overpriced vehicle of the day

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by markfnc, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Are they sure it was $275K, and not a typo, with the actual price at $27.5K?

WagonTheDog likes this.
  2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Anything vintage truck, especially crew cabs (which up until very recently were the rarest cab model) is crazy expensive. There is no way it was a typo. $27.5k would be highway robbery for this truck.
    As I've said before, I'm certainly no fan of the prices things are going for these days, but as with all things economically speaking, it's what the market will bear.

3. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

$275k...

...IS

...INSANITY

...DEFINED!!!

Usually auction prices are updated and listed automatically by computer. That truck would be a steal at $27.5k.

With that said, I'm sorry, but there is nowhere anything near $275k in this build. Don't believe me? Give me $275k and I'll build three of them with the same components for you and make a nice profit. Whoever bought this thing has more money than brains. Sorry guys, if it seems I'm a little perturbed, I am. It's crazy stuff like this in this insane market that makes me shake my head and causes my blood to boil. It's this kind of insanity that only drives the price of every other car and truck up, up and up.

It wasn't long ago where amazing classic cars and trucks could be had at prices that were easily accessible to the everyday guy or someone young who, if they saved enough money, they too could own a cool vehicle. Sadly and concerningly, it's rapidly becoming less and less so, even with project cars. Everything is starting to be priced into the stratosphere, and because of sales like this it only causes people to see old cars and trucks as dollar signs. It's not healthy for the hobby and it only benefits people of privilege. I'm tired of it. Rant over.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    60Mercman and markfnc like this.
  4. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well the bidding seems to be stalled out at $125,000. I totally agree with you WTD. I would love to see this top out at about $135. Then people may start getting the hint. Why was I the A$$h@/e that paid $275 for this thing. Car flipping to me is like playing the roulette table. I would love to see enforceable contracts that when you buy a car you have to keep it 3 years. My only hope is that this is a no reserve auction. I didn’t read the whole thing. I couldn’t get past the nose bleed price.

markfnc likes this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

I've been saying that for years. And don't worry, we all are perturbed, at both the speculators, who hype these up, and the morons who believe them. I'm willing to bet two dillholes with too much lucre got into a bidding war, and the only nice thing I can say is the truck seller made out like a bandit and laughed all the way to the bank.

6. WagonTheDog

Okay, I know I said "rant over", but well, I guess I lied. lol :oops:...

To be honest, I consider car restoring entities who flip cars to make a profit a part of the problem too. I have no issue with restorers who say, "Bring me your car and I'll restore it (or part of it) for you." However, the ones I have an issue with are the ones whose sole purpose it is, is to buy cars to resore/resto-mod them just to flip them to make maximum profits, and who artificially inflate the market. I mean, the company who built that truck - ICON - has its own "ICON" luxury watch for sale for crying out loud. THIS ISN'T NORMAL. Classic vehicles are increasingly becoming toys for the well-to-do, and becoming less and less accessible to the common man...who, I might ironically add, were the ones who bought these vehicles when they were brand new. Just like this used-to-be work truck.

But again, I need to be very clear: I have NO issue with regular restorers, as they are an absolutely necessary and very welcome part of the car community. Those are the ones whom I have the utmost respect for. I only have an issue with the ones whose business model it is to flip cars that is artificially jacking up the market year after year. What this does is it causes people to look at the insane money being thrown around and it leads them to think that any hunk of iron they have sitting in their field is automatically worth thousands of dollars, just because a restored one "could be" worth tens, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Ohhhhh, those dollar signs people get in their eyes.

The Barrett-Jackson effect and car flipping activities have had a very real affect on the classic car and truck market over the last 20 years and it's stuff like this that is causing classic vehicles to be priced out of the everyday person's budget, and is increasing becoming a market that is a playground for the rich.

Some may laugh and just consider these resto entities as just "providing a service" and/or just taking advantage of a market that will pay for it. But IMO, it's a slippery slope we stand on when thinking in those terms. Look at how much classic car prices have exploded just in the last 20 years. What is it going to look like in another 20 years with this kind of trajectory? The more the market keeps trending in this direction, the less that future generations are going to be able to be a part of, and enjoy the cars that we all love. I shudder to think that our kids and grandkids will never be able to enjoy what we have if they are not lucky enough to inherit a car themselves, and become priced way out of the marketplace, simply because they aren't privileged to have a high enough income to afford one of these cars (or trucks).

I don't know, I just look at the $275,000 paid for that thing and it's angering. :16suspect: I know I'm screaming into the ether with this post, but man, seeing that really got under my skin. "Good for him/her", I guess (insert sarcasm here). Good luck on selling it for any more than $70,000 in another 5-6 years. Oh, and a vinyl top on this thing? What were they smoking? I suppose it added $75,000 in extra appeal for this truck (that's googly looking, even as a Mopar fan)? :huh: I'd love to see the owner take it rock bashing with all that fancy, useless-by-default-of-its-sale-price off-road gear underneath it. :rofl2:

Anywayyyyyy, NOW I'm done...maybe. lol :oops:

markfnc likes this.
  7. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Haha WTD. Bet you’re not done. Wait till this truck sells, or maybe not. I do totally agree with you. At the risk of sounding like an ole windbag, I’m really glad I got the majority of my cars when I did. I thought 2-3 grand was pushing it 25 years ago. But I bit my lip and bought. It’s astonishing to me how much money is out there chasing this iron. A few years ago when Broncos got hot I was at Barrett Jackson. There was a company there that would make a Bronco from scratch for you. You wrote the $100,000 check, they find the carcass, you name the color, and pick the goodies, and they’ll let you know when the next $50-100gs is due. There is a lot of credence in the older you get, buy something done. I have a car friend in his 80’s who has had projects since 1973. Well, he’s done and I think in the world we live in, people want instant gratification, and a turn key life. The folks I feel sorry for are the young car kids that you eluded to that can’t even buy a rolling hulk cause some guy saw the same one done bring 50 large. This is gonna be a dying hobby if we don’t get a handle on how we can get kids interested in turning a wrench. There’s already enough competition with the I-phone and the internet. I’m sure glad I bought my first fixer upper, a ‘68 LeSabre for $200. Those days are sadly gone. See now you got my rant. Lol

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    markfnc likes this.
  8. WagonTheDog

It looks like the listing is back to saying it sold for $275,000 on 8/6/21, so whoopty doo. Let the good times roll. :16suspect: But well, if you're an ol' windbag, I'm only 41 and I'm right there with you. lol I agree with every point you made.

As a silly little hobby, back in my teens and into my early 20s, I used to buy Old Car Traders - both Canadian and U.S. - every month (or was it every week??? I can't even remember now! lol), and I used to clip out all the ads for cars I liked and I pasted them onto line paper, and put them into three ring binders that I still have. In those binders there are prices for cars that, today, would just about make you tear in your beer: rust free Chargers, 'Cudas, Super Bees and Roadrunners for $1,000 to $5,000, beautiful old 50s winged Mopars for just as much, wagons for what seemed like literal pennies on today's dollar, etc. I also shared a story here previously about an all-black numbers matching 1971 Plymouth GTX R-code Hemi car in good condition that was listed for $8,900 here locally that I actually went to see (even though I didn't have the money to buy it at the time), which will haunt me until I die. :(

Anyway, I'm just pining and reminiscing, but yeah. I know people older than me who were lucky enough to have lived during the time when these cars were still in the showroom and everywhere on the streets have stories about even cheaper prices for cars we all lust after, but it's just memories like that which make me so sad for what's happening now. People in the U.S. and Canada have always had money, and these cars have always existed, but the utter craziness that is happening right now is just sickening. I just increasingly see it becoming a blue chip hobby and it's a helpless feeling. Ugh. I hate it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    60Mercman likes this.
  9. OrthmannJ

Seems this is a hot button issue.

60Mercman and Silvertwinkiehobo like this.
  10. Silvertwinkiehobo

I agree. But, some salient points have been made.

60Mercman likes this.
  11. OrthmannJ

Yes, I think you are right.

I do think it is interesting though that it is so shocking to some folks that vehicles are selling for the "price of a house".
    This is not a new phenomena. And it's not restricted to classic/collector cars either. (but I digress...)
    Inflation affects the prices, but forty years ago there were high-test vehicles with provenance selling for the cost of an average home of the time. It doesn't seem outrageous to hear about a 1936 Cord 810 Phaeton selling for $80K back in 1987. (I mean shoot that's less than a brand new Suburban.)But My folks bought a house the same year on an acre of land for $40K.
    It's also much easier to find these types of sales with the inner nets now, compared to the past. They've always been out there.
    It's all about perspective.

As far as buying vehicles solely for the purpose of reselling them, I'm all for it. I've been doing it off and on for years. Sure I get enjoyment out of bringing them back from whatever state of disrepair they were in. I enjoy driving them and taking my boys and my dog on outings.
    But I also enjoy it when a new owner comes along and exchanges hundred dollar bills for said vehicle. It's a way I make extra income. Same as someone who restores antique furniture or refurbishes old homes.
    There will always be folks that try and take advantage of a trend, there's no doubt. But for the most part people are looking at what is popular in the market and capitalizing on it. They're not trying to screw people. I can never fault anyone for that. If someone is willing to pay the asking price for something, then that's what it's worth.
    Even if it is the "price of a new house"

Just my observations.

60Mercman likes this.
  12. WagonTheDog

Well, with all due respect, because I do like you, Jeremiah, there's a lot mentioned within your last post that is antithetical to my views on (many) things that I'm going to respectfully decline to reply. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Anyway, hopefully we can all agree that $275,000 for that thing is pretty insane. At some point I just don't understand why the buyer didn't realize he/she could build a clone of it for way cheaper. It's mind boggling.

13. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

14. WagonTheDog

I hope that comes in at less than $100k! lol :shocked:

15. OrthmannJ

I like you too.
    I enjoy conversations like this. It's good to hear opposing view points.
    And for what it's worth I'm not trying to persuade you to change your views. Disagreement is a fact of life. If we all thought the exact same thing about everything things would be pretty boring.

60Mercman likes this.