1987 Olds Custom Cruiser Rear Windows Weather Stripping

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by jmh139, Jan 19, 2022.

1. jmh139

jmh139 Member

I have been looking for a replacement for my rear window weather stripping since I've had my 87 Custom cruiser and ran across this:

https://collectorsautosupply.com/wi...-olds-custom-cruiser-cutlass-cruiser-firenza/

Is that the replacement for the cracked rubber(ish) piece that meets the glass and keeps the water from going down the door? It LOOKS like it but I did not want to spend that kind of money without seeing if anyone else has ever ordered from this business.

Thanks for any help.

2. jmh139

jmh139 Member

Well, I ordered it. Found it on Jegs for right under $100 shipped. I'll update here what I get and if it works when I get it. Someone may find this thread in the future,

3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Awesome. Always good to have information like this. Thanks for sharing :thumbs2:

4. jmh139

jmh139 Member

I have received the part and it looks to fit, but will be a bit of work to get it in. It is not the same material, it is more of a rubber with felt on it, but it will look a million times better than the broken/cracked part that is there now.

I will update this when we get a warm day and I can take the tailgate apart to replace.

5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Good luck!

6. jmh139

jmh139 Member

I finally got the part out and took a good look. It LOOKS like it will fit, but there seems to be no way to actually install it without removing the rear window. I am not sure I want to tackle that, I could find no directions in the service manual or online. Anyone have anything showing the procedure to remove the rear tailgate window?

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Drop the window down, look to see if the glass is attached with nuts, bolts or rivets. The first two make glass removal easy. If riveted, don't bother. You run the risk of shattering the glass. But if you do detach the glass, be really careful with it. Any hit on the edge, or a sharp point hit in the glass, can shatter it.

8. jmh139

jmh139 Member

Thanks for that info, I will check bolts or rivets this weekend.

9. jmh139

jmh139 Member

I finally got around to replacing the above weather stripping and wanted to post for anyone that might want to do the same. My rear window had nuts and bolts and was not that much trouble to remove although you will need a helper to hold the glass. I then removed the old weather stripping and replaced it with the new (bunch of phillip screws you could not reach with the glass in). The new weather strip is about 1/2 inch tall compared to 1 1/4 inch tall for the old. This leaves a gap where you can see inside the tailgate a bit and the back of the inside panel where the other felt strip is attached.

Overall it is probably worth doing as my old weather strip was so bad, but it is not a perfect fit by far. I have attached two pics but keep in mind, much of what you see in one of the pics is a reflection of the shelves behind me. The cost of this part was around $100 so again not sure it was worth that.

Attached Files:

OrthmannJ and wylee like this.