1960 Falcon Two Door Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by RetroSpeed, May 9, 2017.

1. Whagon

Whagon New Member

Nice one :thumbs2:

2. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed Active Member

Thanks Whagon. Have a Happy Holiday.

[​IMG]

OrthmannJ likes this.
  3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Awesome! Love the Christmas spirit.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Hey, Retro! Did you get the PM I had sent you, about the guy on Fullsizebronco, who had been selling the sedan delivery? I had passed on the information, then I didn't hear anything, so I was curious to know if you had received it.

5. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed Active Member

Thanks OrthmannJ. After an outing with her friends, my wife returned home with the red bow on the tailgate.
    Silvertwinkiehobo, I appreciate the lead but stopped looking for a sedan delivery when I purchased the wagon.

I found a vintage looking bike rack that easily mounts to the rear bumper and test fit the Schwinn Stingray.

[​IMG]

The Stingray fit perfectly and looks great on the back of the Falcon wagon.

[​IMG]

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Ah, that Stingray brings back memories of my Lemon Peeler--ape hangers, banana seat, 'springer' fork, and the ubiquitous 'cheater slick,' for which I found out one snowy day, doesn't have all that much traction on ice....

7. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed Active Member

[​IMG]

When I was 10 years old, I owned an Apple Krate like the one pictured. Although the rear slick was never an issue in sunny SoCal, the memory of hitting the Stik-Shift® after a failed landing from a ramp is a pain I will never forget.

8. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed Active Member

I am amazed at the cars that turn up in salvage yards. This 1963 Falcon wagon was posted on the Pick Your Part website and warranted a drive to check it out. The wagon was unbelievable and looked like it could have been started with some fresh gas and a good battery.

[​IMG]

As the glass was in in excellent shape and had the FoMoCo logo, I removed the vent windows with the stainless trim and rear window glass with the mechanism. I also removed the hinges for the fold down seat and some interior trim that was in better shape than mine. The great part is the yard was having a sale so all the parts were 40% off. SCORE!

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

That was a score, but you didn't grab the hood? Or anything else that looked good, for that matter? Just to have on the shelf?

Yeah, that stick shift (and the damned bar that it was attached to) was a constant source of pain when the bike stopped but you kept going.

10. OrthmannJ

"What is inertia Mr. Wizard?"
    "Well Tommy, let's do a little experiment. You take this nifty stingray bicycle here and go off this little jump comprised of a few bricks and a sheet of plywood"

RetroSpeed likes this.
  11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Ah, Jeremiah, you hit your thumb instead of the nail head with that! I'll have to steal that, pretend I made it up!

12. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed Active Member

LOL OrthmannJ! Your explanation of inertia should be included in every physics textbook published.

Silvertwinkiehobo, My garage shelves are already full of 1963 sheetmetal so I only purchase parts that are better than what I already have for my 1963.5 Ranchero or extra parts for the 1960 Falcon wagon as parts are harder to acquire.

In addition to 1963 Falcon sheet metal on my garage shelves, I also have the complete bucket seat/center console interior from a 1963 Falcon 4-speed Sprint like the one pictured. This interior will be installed in my Ranchero which is a factory 260 V8 and T-10 four speed like this Falcon Sprint.

[​IMG]

This includes the Sprint bucket seats and center console, Sprint wood grained steering wheel, dash chrome, including the hard to find Sprint glove box trim, and a rare as hen's teeth Falcon dash clock. I also have most of the parts to install the under dash air conditioning pictured but must decide whether to have it installed in the Ranchero or wagon.

Also on my garage shelves is a rare 1965 Mustang bench seat and power bucket seats from a 1963 Thunderbird.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The previous owner of my Falcon wagon installed the bucket seats and center console from a 1965 Comet convertible and had the rear fold down seat of the wagon upholstered to match.

[​IMG]

However, I am not a fan of the non-original colors he selected so will either reupholster the seats in the correct blue or replace them with the Mustang bench seat or Thunderbird buckets. The wagon's fold down rear seat will be upholstered to match once I decide which seats to use.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Poison_Ivy likes this.
  13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Damn. That blue would look good in Babe's cabin, but not the style, as she's a '79. And I see your point about sheetmetal, but, when you have something factory, like the scooped hood, isn't it worth it to grab it, maybe take the time to get it into the hands of someone who can use it before it becomes Chinesium?

14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I'd put installing an air conditioner on the back burner. A/Cs rob horsepower on a vehicle which shouldn't end up as a daily driver, because of how reckless and disrespectful fellow motorists are.
    Too bad that not every Falcon left the line with buckets, clock and floor console as standard equipmen
    t :(

RetroSpeed likes this.
  15. OrthmannJ

We put Mustang Buckets in our 63 Ranchero. It's also an original 260V8 car. It has a 4 speed, but it wasn't born with it. We had an original center console available, but my Father-in-law decided he didn't like the way it looked :huh: So we ended up going without it.