1962 Tempest Wagon in NM $3300.00

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by cammerjeff, Dec 19, 2012.

  1. cammerjeff

    cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    5,223
    Likes Received:
    947
    Trophy Points:
    427
    Location:
    Belleville, MI
  2. jmt455

    jmt455 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Messages:
    2,377
    Likes Received:
    250
    Trophy Points:
    228
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    SE Michigan
    I talked to the seller when that car was listed for sale last year. I almost bought it, but chose my 83 Bonneville instead.

    I've been thinking that little Tempest would look good in my garage....but I really don't have time, room or $$$$ to take on another project right now.:(
     
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  3. Termite Free Woodie

    Termite Free Woodie New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    Messages:
    377
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Co.
    1962 Tempest Wagon in NM $3,300.00

    That is one neat little Pontiac. I like it!!!

    However I thought a Prius got better mileage than that.

    I would have to have a 421 tri-power in it if it were mine.
    Then I would never have melted ice cream coming back from the grocery store. :jumping:
     
  4. fmlm83

    fmlm83 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Messages:
    34
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    25
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Southeast Missouri
    I learn something new every day. I thought the seller was smoking something when he started talking about half a v8 and rear mounted transaxle. But it is true, slant 4 and a Corvair transmission with a unique 3/4 in speedo cable style driveshaft make this a special car.
     
  5. jmt455

    jmt455 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Messages:
    2,377
    Likes Received:
    250
    Trophy Points:
    228
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    SE Michigan
    "Torque tube" with flexible drive shaft, too.
    They were cool little cars.

    But I've been told by previous owners that those 4 cylinders were bone-shakers. It's a 195 CI (3.2 L) without a balance shaft; any 4 cylinder over 2.5L (without a balance shaft) is pretty harsh.
     
  6. MotoMike

    MotoMike Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    Messages:
    5,174
    Likes Received:
    123
    Trophy Points:
    188
    Location:
    Newnan, Ga
    Yeah, I read that the 4 cylinders actually came down the same assembly line with the 389's to save on costs.
     
  7. cammerjeff

    cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    5,223
    Likes Received:
    947
    Trophy Points:
    427
    Location:
    Belleville, MI
    That was the only reason Pontiac was able to use there own engine, and they were able to use the same Pistons, rods, bearings, and head exhaust manifold, valve train, and accessory brackets as the 389 V-8, the oil pan is a modified V-8 parts, the block and crank, camshaft, bellhousing, intake manifold were unique parts. They are interesting for sure.
     
  8. PineBox

    PineBox Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    Messages:
    1,328
    Likes Received:
    35
    Trophy Points:
    96
    Wagon Garage:
    3
    Location:
    Ticlaw, Florida and Interlachen Florida
    They used the same 'tub' or unibody subframe as the Corvair.
    Plus they were good looking cars, too!
    Very rare these days, especially in wagon form.
     
  9. Bigbarneycars

    Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1,058
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    SE Michigan
    Go for it Cammerjeff. Just think how you'd be the only one in the 5-point park car show next summer with one:2_thumbs_up_-_anima Hey, probably the Woodward Cruise too:clap::thumbs2:
     
  10. knagy389us

    knagy389us Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    30
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    I'm outta room for more Pontiacs right now. I could always banish my daily driver from the attached garage to make room, but I like parking inside after all these years
     

Share This Page