1962 Ford Thunderbird Vista Bird

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Mar 12, 2019.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Don't let Joe see this :nailbiting:

3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I have seen this car before. The conversion looks like it was done well. Visually the only thing that I don't care for is the Pinto rear hatch. Just seems out of place to me.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A very 'famous' conversion on the internets....

I appreciate that the ad gives a lot of details on the building of the vehicle, and its history. Still, it's a big let-down for me as far as the interior is concerned.

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    You mean, the modern upholstery, I assume. To me, it's the screws holding the trim which stand out like a sore thumb. This couldn't have been factory

Chunderbird.jpg

6. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Agreed Krash. The interior left me cold. I wouldn’t be interested in this car. Way toooooo much mouse hair and fuze’ Going on in there. It would have been neat if he would have carried over the Turquoise vinyl treatment that might have come with this car.

7. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't get me started with the use of the GM vista roof on a Ford !....Longroofs Rule!

8. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Well there’s that too.

9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I was afraid of you and Joe Padavano organizing a death squad against such butchers who are busy Frankensteining Vista roofs onto other brands :nailbiting: Now, it seems that my nightmare is about to become true

wagoninsane likes this.
  10. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Someone started a thread the other day on here about needing the side vista windows. I kindly informed this person that they are as rare as hens teeth.... THEN I came across THIS ! All I can say to the person that needs them is buy THIS and cannibalize it for the windows! Who knows they might run across someone who's restoring a Pinto that needs a back hatch!!?.....Longroofs Rule!

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    With our luck, it might have been a closet Demolition Derbyist looking to get these rare windows, in order to gratify an ultra-sadistic faction of the audience

12. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Just for this infraction, I’m gonna look for a Vista Cruiser and plomp a Thunderbird top on it. Well maybe I’ll find a flat roofed Buick or Olds wagon and tell everybody I defiled a Vista Cruiser. That seems to be exciting part about putting some of these cars together. How many great cars can I turn to $#|+ and create a Fabulous one off original. Does anybody have like two or three spare Cavilers with dirty grey Fuze’ interiors that I can buy for seating and headliner materials? I’ll call it “THUNDERFOWL!”

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Honestly I'm a little surprised by this type of reaction. Why the hate? :huh:
    This is not a new build. I'd be willing to bet they found the Vista Cruiser in a wrecking yard, where it's ultimate fate was the crusher. It's not the type of car I would build but, so what? Someone wanted to build a unique car and they did. I say good for them.

14. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I actually think the lines on the car look pretty decent with the vista roof. I'm not a big fan of some of the execution of the total car (interior) and it is clear that some of the work is showing its age, but this car looks much better than the yellow Chevelle that had the vista roof transplanted onto it.

15. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I apologize if my post appeared as hate. I have neither a Thunderbird, nor a Vista Cruiser. So I actually have no dog in this fight. I guess as combined cars go this Thunder Cruiser is more well thought out then some we’ve seen. You’re right in that the Vista Cruiser probably came out of a junk yard, and the Thunderbird probably had a safe dropped on it. And, this redo was in the ‘70’s. When else could you have gotten a pair of working Pinto hinges. I sometimes get carried away with sarcasm. I mean no harm. I’m just a harmless fuzz ball. And I totally agree about the Chevelle. There is a ‘68 El Camino here in town that looks like the top of the Batmobile was grafted on to it. So I have seen my share of really bad Reese Peanut butter cup combos. This Vista Bird I guess in the general scream of things is probably well done.