Very Strange 2004r issues

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by TheNekomancer, Apr 15, 2018.

1. TheNekomancer

TheNekomancer New Member

Hello, This is my first post on this forum. I picked up a 1987 Electra Estate Wagon with a th200-4r from a friend who just wanted it out of his garage. I needed a car, and he was kind enough to give and help me repair his old wagon. The tailshaft bushing had been chowdered up, and before we realized we could buy a puller tool on ebay we already had the transmission out of the car. fast forward a week, and we get it back in, connect up all the lines, tv cable, ect with a new bushing, seals, and filter. I drive the wagon home and have a week of blissful comfortable driving. Just tonight though, I tried to drive back to see my folks in St. Louis (I live in Indiana) and I get about 100 miles there when the car starts making a horrible growling noise. At first I thought it was rear end noise and moved to get off the highway, but am between exits. by the time I get to the next exit, The noise has gotten worse and is accompanied by a terrible vibration. when exiting the ramp, I hear what sounds like a snap and the noise and vibration go away. The car drives perfectly again for a few miles with the exception of the speedo, which is now swinging anywhere from 80 to 45 mph at highway speed. suddenly I hear anouther popping noise and the speedo reads nothing and the trans seems to be disconnected, but it gets weirder. When coming to a stop, I realize that the transmission hasn't stopped working, but just wont shift out of first gear. the speedo is still dead but the car idles and creeps like normal. I found out that if I baby the throttle after starting the car and putting it in gear that the speedo will come to life (swinging the needle wildly) and the growl and rumble will return. applying light throttle will get the car into second, and third gear seems to work whenever it feels like it. if I make it into fourth then I win and the car stays in fourth. (although the vibration and growling are still present. I'd really like to keep this wagon, but will not be too broken up about it if the trans is completely destroyed. (The only payment my friend asked for was a twinkie and cost of parts). I've searched around on google and can't find anyone who has had the same issue.

2. Longroof79

Longroof79 Well-Known Member

Did you remove the speedo cable bullet from the side of trans? It almost sounds like your speedo cable locked up and the trans started eating the driven gear. See if the cable is resting against the exhaust pipe. A hot exhaust pipe can compromise the speedo cable if it was resting against it.

3. TheNekomancer

TheNekomancer New Member

the speedo cable was screwed back in just fine. It is not resting on an exhaust pipe, and as stated, will start to work again if you baby the throttle.

4. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Is your TV cable setup correctly? If that's off, it'll screw the line pressure up and cause strange shifting issues (and burn up the tranny).

5. TheNekomancer

TheNekomancer New Member

I thought it was set up correctly. I adjusted it all the way in, then let the self adjuster do its thing. Thats what the instructions said to do. car shifted fine during the week it was driving, and as far as I can tell through the vibration, the trans isnt slipping.

6. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have had a TV cable break internally (on a Ford AOD). Might be worth pulling the end of the cable off of the carb throttle bracket just to confirm it is okay. How does the trans fluid smell? Can you pull the speedo gear out of the trans to see what it looks like?

7. TheNekomancer

TheNekomancer New Member

I already checked the TV cable, looks fine and is setup correctly. fluid smells ok too. These th200 transmissions dont have a removable tailshaft housing, and you cannot service the speedo gear without taking the whole dang thing apart

8. TheNekomancer

TheNekomancer New Member

I'm gonna try to get under it tomorrow, maybe see whats going on for the underside

9. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    Are you sure on that? I am referring to the driven gear not the driving gear. It has been 100 years since I've looked at a 200-4R, but I am pretty sure the driven gear should come out with the speedo gear housing on the trans. At the very least, pull the housing out and see what you can see inside.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yeah, that's the first thing I would've done. If it exploded, there's no telling if any of the pieces got anywhere it didn't belong. Pulling the pan and doing a visual inspection may also be needed. If enough pieces wedged themselves in the filter opening, that will greatly affect flow, and that moaning sound could have been pump cavitation.

11. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    On a 200-4R, the speedo drive gear is part of the governor gear. If this gear broke (for whatever reason) that would explain both the non-functioning speedo and the failure to upshift.

[​IMG]

12. TheNekomancer

TheNekomancer New Member

Ah, ok, and can this be replaced without taking the entire transmission apart/out?

13. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    To replace the DRIVING gear (which is what Joe pictured above) you have to drop the pan and pull the governor cover. You don't have to disassemble the entire transmission. I don't know who told you that. To replace/inspect the DRIVEN gear you remove the speedo housing on the side of the trans. With that out you should be able to peek inside the transmission to see what the DRIVING gear looks like.

14. TheNekomancer

TheNekomancer New Member

Ok, thanks. I'm out of town right now, but when I get back I'll see what is going on inside.

15. TheNekomancer

TheNekomancer New Member

So, I pulled the Speedo cable out and the driven gear came with it. It was covered in little bits of plastic, but looked intact. The car also jut developed a rod knock, so I think this one may be done.