Vehicle:
AUDI|5000CD
  1. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    This is what it's like to change a timing belt on a V-6 Turbodiesel. You have to go out and get a preload tensioner, to do it right. While you're down there, best to replace the thermostat and accessory belts. Otherwise, changing them without using the occasion will be expensive, if you have a shop do it. The timing belt is supposed to get replaced every 120,000 kilometers. If you ignore it and the belt snaps, expect to take the engine appart, to do a little valve work.
    Ours was taken to a BOSCH-affiliate garage in Freiburg. From the outside, the garage looked greasy and messy and typical of the type where the "mechanic" ends up with a hand full of screws he either doesn't know where he got them from or doesn't care or both. When it got back, the screwcaps covering all 4 engine cover fasteners were gone. 3 screws hold it down, since they managed to omit the 4th (those images of our car were taken a couple of years before then. When it was religiously serviced at a Berlin dealership before we got it). When we put it up for sale, it'll not look good for us, once a potential buyer takes a peek under the hood. I'd hate to see what's missing under that cover. It was in that garage during winter of 2015, because the alternator wasn't charging. It had only around 100,000 kilometers, at the time, and it likely was the built-on regulator which gave out. They decided to replace the entire unit which cost just below 1000 € parts and labor. They charged us for the belt and roller bearings of which the latter were obviously not replaced. Just a couple of months ago, there was noise coming out of the engine compartment and the car was driven on the freeway, contrary to my advice. The new belt snapped and the vehicle had to get towed. Unfortunately, I wasn't kept informed and the vehicle was subsequently towed back to that same garage which now had to install at least the one roller which fried. The bill was now 700€.
    If you ever buy one of those, best to find an integral garage, if you don't plan servicing it yourself. There are two accessory belts. One powers the air conditioner compressor, alternator, power steering pump and some 4th device. If you'd like to get rid of the air conditioner and even maybe replace the power steering rack with a manual, good luck finding a passing belt and circumventing any belt rollers.
    These cars are fine, if you're ready to fork out generous cash and you could get into a time machine going back a few decades before demographic changes started taking their toll. The sleaze they have over here these days fixing cars are a menace:

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    sorry you had to go thru that, we always had the cars serviced at a Audi dealer, found here in the states - the "local" guys still had to get most of the parts from Audi, A good to great independent shop is going to charge about the same labor rate as the dealer without Audi back up when something goes wrong - so we just didn't bother. But yes once that warranty is up just bring buckets of cash to get things fixed. Last thing we replaced was the air bag sensor - car would not have passed inspection here in Virginia with the air bag light on. cost to replace the sensor $798.00 ouch

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Someone who knows what they're doing can get into the board computer to deaktivate the light for half of the price or less. Cars nowadays are built as if you're going to get into an accident and there's no way to avoid one. I've heard of a well-taken care of A6 managing over half a million kilometers without a rebuild. It's the electronic gadgets which ruin all the fun.
    If you remember (if even old enough to) the AUDI 100 LS, it used to be state-of-the-art, mechanically, having inboard brakes which improved handling through low sprung weight. However, servicing used to be a nightmare. After popping the hood, you'd have the heater motor practically staring at you. Once it was time to replace it, you were to find out that the thing was out to tease you, since you had to tear out the entire dashboard, in order to access it from within the vehicle. If they were humane, the would have mounted it with just 4 access screws. The brakepads were also a pain to replace, as well as getting to the points and accessing the distributor fastening screw without a special wrench. The last ones in that series became the Porsche 924 engine. Which was too little too late. If you have an LS engine laying around you could drop it into a Porsche with a blown original engine. The engine blocks of both are basically identicle.

[​IMG]

Here's one with a 928 mill shoehorned in: http://flussigmagazine.com/1/post/2014/12/the-porsche-928-test-mulesaudi-100-coup-v3v4.html

[​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I'm putting mine up for sale, for you masochists who like these cars. Because it's a Diesel, registration taxes are high, here. The comparitively large displacement doesen't help matters, either, since they use that for assessing the rate. I presently pay more than 1€ daily, for a car which isn't daily driven. Some people like all of the gadgetry like the heated- outside mirrors, windshield washer sprinklers and seats. I personally don't need all of that. The car was already that way when I got it. Because it's a Diesel, it can't help but get good milage, for a car that's unnecessarily heavy through being loaded with gadgets and anchored down by a heavy Diesel block.
    I've sunk plenty of money into it and don't want to drop a penny more. It has two new outter axle boots which are usually due at 19 years of age. Both headlights have been replaced. One of these plastic units, during my ownership. Previous to that, one of the belts and guide wheels, windshield wiper motor (if it was a necessary repair or just a fuse can only get revealed on Judgement Day), alternator (also unknown if only the regulator was at fault) and battery. It's loaded with nearly every option available and has a leather interior. A second set of wheels mounted with snow tires comes with it.
    I've got all dealer inspection records, since the wagon was new and all receipts since 2004.
    As it stands, it has only 115,158 kilometers which equates to way under 100,000 miles. Which isn't much for a Diesel Audi. It It has passed government inspection and will be due in two years time. Little things need to get done, such as replacing the gas struts holding up the tailgate. They sag in Winter. The electric sun roof also jams (I simple don't open it) and there are a couple dents to bump out. The timing belt will be due at 120,000 kilometers which is a do-it-yourselfer, once you borrow the torque wrench adapter needed for tensioning the belt. I've sunk enough into it, mainly through high insurance premiums and taxes. Will gladly acccept a trade for something simple like a Diahatsu Move wagon or Suzuki Wagon R+, for example. Diesel's okay, even this time around, as long as it's small.
    Here's the ad: https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote...caf670-0bdb-2c76-e053-e350040a0ec0?cldtidx=11 I've gotten nearly 200 bites. But, didn't post a telephone number, in order to weed out Riff Raff who show up in groups wanting the car for nothing. You can usually tell if it's them, because of the way they try writing German. Monday will be a week's time. If nobody has answered the ad through written message, I'll then post the phone number.
    If you're planning on visiting Europe, I'll knock down the price for forum members to an even 2,000€ and you can drive it around and then load it into a container with any other cars you might pick up along the way and take it home. I'll write off the loss. Over there, you could fill it up with cheap home heating oil which is the same stuff as Diesel fuel. The car is too old to have fallen under thee recent Diesel software manipulation scandal. So, you can rest assured of not having to get Feds in your face, because of that

Ad.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Fahrzeug_V.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Fahrzeug_HR.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Fahrzeug_VR.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Fahrzeug_Hinten.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Fahrzeug_VL.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Lenker.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Vorne.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Tür_Hint.jpg

Zu_Verkauf_Hinten.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018