1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Tailgate will not open

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by CurtPaul, Apr 21, 2021.

1. CurtPaul

CurtPaul New Member

Hello All!

Im trying to get the tailgate open on a 69 Vista Cruiser that has been sitting for years with no back glass in it. Just trying to clean it out and get glass in it for now. Both release handles feel like the tailgate is locked. I'm trying to figure out if the latches are frozen shut, or if there is some kind of locking mechanism keeping them from releasing. I've never owned one of these before so I'm unsure of how it works. Couple questions

Does anybody know if the tailgate window regulator has to be fully lowered before the latches will unlock? Mine looks down, but I'm not sure if its fully lowered. Am I not seeing some other kind of safety lock?

I know it has a power back window. I do have the key but I'm unsure if the back regulator is working. To complicate things the engine is out of the vehicle and I am having trouble powering up the electrical system with no positive battery cable to try to lower it with the switch. Any way to lower it without power?

Any recommendations of the best way to approach this problem would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If the fuse links are still hanging in the engine bay, you can use jumper cables and a spare battery to power up the car. Not knowing which one means you'll need to clamp all of them together in the positive clamp, and clamp the negative to a point on the firewall.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

I once did this to a Bronco where I needed to roll the windows up before a rain shower. Worked pretty good.

4. CurtPaul

CurtPaul New Member

Thanks Silver! I actually was able to power up the wagon doing that, but window motor won't react. Been getting rained on for years so probably stuck.

Man who would have thought it would have been so hard to get a tailgate open! Thanks again

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Can you get the inner panel off? If so, you may be able to look inside, see the interlock on the latching mechanism.