8 Cylinder
Vehicle:
STUDEBAKER|COMMANDER
  1. mbstude

mbstude Member

Wagon Garage:
    mbstude submitted a new Garage Item:

1955 Studebaker Conestoga

Read more about this garage item here...

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    This is the first time I've noticed one of those having bumper-mounted fog lamps. Is this a rare factory option or have I been overlooking a standard item?
    Would like to see the dash

3. mbstude

mbstude Member

Wagon Garage:
    Fog lights were factory options, though most wagons don’t have them. They were a standard item on the ‘55 Speedster hardtop and optional on all others.

I took a few liberties with the lights, this car isn’t “correct”. It should have standard bumper guards where the lights are, and the lights would’ve been mounted more outward on the bumper, directly below the headlights. I felt that was a little too much clutter so I put the lights in place of the standard guards.

I’m planning to finish up the interior this weekend. I’ll post a few more pics afterwards.

Poison_Ivy and ModelT1 like this.
  4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Great looking Studebaker. We've gone to a few Studebaker meets and saw some beautiful Studes. Our young son had hopes of rod-storing a 1950 4-dr Commander that I bought. Like everything else, too many projects.
    At one time a son and father had a Studebaker collection near Gainesville where they bought and sold Studebakers and parts. After the father died I don't know what happened to everything.
    Have some Gatoraid and search.

5. mbstude

mbstude Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well... I already know the answer to that one. Doc passed away just over a decade ago. His son had the Studebaker parts business and sold the store shortly after his dad's passing and pursued a few other interests in the following years. In 2015, he decided to jump back in and bought up a few inventories and had his grand re-opening in early 2017. The reason I moved to Gainesville was to work for him full time. His dad's Stude collection is still here. We're in full swing and having a lot of fun.

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    You are at the little farm and storage yard not far from Newberry? I had recently traded some cars. Part of the trade was a 1950 Studebaker commander 4-dr. I gave it to my then, around nine year old, son. He still lives in the area.
    It really wasn't a bad looking car. It had been brush painted red with all windows blacked out. We first saw it on top of an abandoned bar or restaurant on Rt 19-98-27 near Cross City.
    We met the Cades at an all Studebaker show in Gainesville. Even though we were not members of a Studebaker club we were invited to where they had a shop and storage yard. Everyone was helpful and friendly. I can't remember what our son bought but they were happy a younger kid liked Studebakers.

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That's the first step they take, when they try drawing you into their cult, Sir. Beware! They're out to get your soul

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. mbstude

mbstude Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep, it's all still at the same place. A museum honoring Doc Cade has been built in downtown Gainesville and most of the cars will end up there when they finish building the Garage.

I'm 27 and grew up around this madness. Always good to hear of another "kid" that likes Studebakers.

And... What a small world!

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks mbstude. We adopted our grandson Steven. He's 28 and 100% a redneck. Maybe that's why he stayed in Florida when we returned to Illinois. Before we moved our son sold the Stude to another friend who lives in Chielfland. As far as I know it's still there.
    I remember the talk of a museum but seemed to be so busy we never checked it out.
    At Home 002.jpg At Home 004.jpg
    Our son found nice door handles and other trim while at Daytona Speedway car shows. He was going to put all small block chevy running gear in the car, make a custom interior, but keep the outside stock.

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If you adopt me, I promise to drop in an AMC 390/401, so that it'll retain at least some of its charachter. I'll even drive you back and forth to the grocery store in your panel truck, for you, Sir

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    That sounds like a good idea. I still prefer a small block GM since I always seem to have spare parts for them.
    There's room for almost anything from a six cylinder diesel to a big block.
    The grocery store is only two miles and I already have adult kids if I need help. Still you could talk to my sister inlaw when she calls from Arizona speaking in German.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If you don't adopt me, I'll tell her your secrets, Dad:evilsmile:

ModelT1 likes this.
  13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    We don't see them often. Well last June but they are back on the far side of Arizona. She is one relative that's difficult to get along with. I'm sure she already knows most of my secrets. Besides, she calls my station wagon a hearse.
    I just looked it up. We are only allowed one adoption so regretably you will have to remain in the foster home. Have faith, someone will take you in............:evilsmile:............ someday!

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Your sister-in-law might, I'm afraid:nailbiting:

ModelT1 likes this.
  15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, when it comes to her be afraid........... very very afraid.:slap::grumpy::dizzy: