New member - 1977 Pontiac Grand Safari

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Remembr2thngs, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Remembr2thngs

Remembr2thngs Member

Hello all,

My name is Mark and I am from Connecticut. I am 35 with a wife (who is slowly accepting the new wagon in the driveway) and 3 children under 4.

I grew up in station wagons. My grandfather on my mom's side had an '88 Caprice Classic wagon and my mom had an '84 of the same and eventually took my grandpa's '88 as he got another used '88 for himself. These were all the cars I knew growing up in the late '80s early '90s.

My best friend, who I still am close with, also had a wagon in his household. Also growing up with him in his mom's '89 Country Squire or 'the shaggin' wagon' as we called it. We took that beast on road trips out to Ohio and down to Florida in high school. So not surprisingly I have a thing for the wagon style of the late '70s to late '80s. The 115 inch length boxy style, it is my personal nostalgia.

Now that I'm older and all the wagons of my youth are long gone I have always wanted to rock another one one day. Espesually as years go on and they become less seen on the road. Unfortunately, wagons were bested by the minivan, boo! One of which I confess I also own to cart my kids around in. But proud to say I have come across a new old wagon for myself that runs. It's in my avatar but I will also post pics to this thread.

I came across my 1977 Pontiac Grand Safari by happenstance several weeks ago. A mechanic friend of mine from work knew I was looking for a wagon and saw it up by his house about 50 miles from me. He went to look at it for me and saw that its Pontiac 400 engine runs perfectly. It has a new a/c compressor, new belts, and a new battery. It has 142k miles on it and no undercarrage rust as it was a North Carolina car. There is a small oil drip from rear main seal about a quarter size while sitting overnight. It does have some rust around the back windows but nothing is eating throught the sheet metal. It has a roof rack that was off for some reason I just haven't put it back on yet. Also no third seat...bummer but it's still a wagon and these days, being few and far between, I can't be too picky.

In the end I paid a whopping $600 for the hog. For that price I just couldn't pass it up. I'm taking my wife on a date in it for her birthday today actually. It runs great. Definitely needs work though. The wood grain is shot and it has a few quirky electrical issues but for 600 bucks I can get in it and go. Honestly it is fun to watch reactions of other drivers, especially the younger crowd that legit have never seen this type of wagon on the road. Now that I say it that way, makes me feel kind of old.

So yea that's my story and I'm glad there is a forum like this for people like me. I know these wagons aren't the traditional 'classics' most would think of, but they do have a place in automotive history and it's encouraging to see I'm not theven only one with a passion for the wagon 20161107_015744.jpg 20161105_135255.jpg 20161105_134552.jpg 20161105_134519.jpg 20161105_134515.jpg 20161105_134359.jpg 20161105_134350.jpg 20161105_134331.jpg

2. Holzwagen

Holzwagen Member

Nice solid looking wagon. Some new wood-grain and that wagon will pop.

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum, Mark. I think you're gonna like it here. We'll get along just fine.

Marshall

4. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed Active Member

Welcome Mark and congratulations on your new Pontiac wagon. Growing up in the California suburbs, nearly every household in my neighborhood had a station wagon with wood grain panels. Today I can't recall the last time I saw one on the road so yours must definitely be a head turner as it cruises next to modern SUVs.

5. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Congrats Mark on your new Pontiac box wagon and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard. I too grew up with wagons in the northeast; my dad always bought Chevy Caprices through the '70's and into the early '80's. I can appreciate your taste. :)

Have fun enjoying it and fixing it up!

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome. :Welcome:I enjoyed your story and your station wagon. Date nite should be exciting.
    :birthday2: to your wife.

7. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome Mark!

8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: aboard. Nice intro, thank you. Sounds like to have the wagon bug and it's catchy, your wife will soon be finding reasons to take that little baby to do her errands. Just wait till she figures out how versatile it is, you may never get it back...lol

Really glad you found your way here. :wave:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Welcome! You got quite a jewel for the price. Replacing the wood grain will be easy!

10. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Mark. Very nice find, especially for the money. The interior looks mint.
    I liked your intro very much. I am glad you found us.

11. Remembr2thngs

Remembr2thngs Member

Thank you all for the warm welcomes to the forum. I am enjoying the car and the comments and people checking it out on the road. it's funny how time changes things. these were once common cars on the road no big deal now you just don't see them anymore. Date night was fun and the thing runs like a champ.

12. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard!
    Great introduction and a great buy.
    Great wagon choice; happy it has a 400 and not the 301!

13. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome!