What would a 2011 Buick Roadmaster look like? Top Gear USA takes a crack at it

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Dec 21, 2010.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Filed under: Classics, Wagon, Buick, GM, Design/Style

[​IMG]
    2011 Buick Roadmaster renderings from Top Gear USA - Click above for high-res image gallery

General Motors has made some excellent cars over the course of its hundred-plus years of existence. As we're all painfully aware, though, it's also produced some horribly bad cars. It's debatable as to when GM's fortunes really turned south, but many critics point to the early 1970s, when a series of poor decisions led to the automaker's eventual near demise in 2009.

And so it's fitting that, when tasked with choosing cars from GM's often illustrious, often horrendous lifetime, the crew from Top Gear USA chose three models built between the early '70s and the late '90s as examples of what the modern-day GM should consider reviving: a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass, a mid-'80s Pontiac Fiero and a late-'90s Buick Roadmaster wagon. Interestingly enough, only one of those brands is still in existence...

After putting the three machines through a battery of tests, a clear winner was crowned, and it's probably not the vehicle you were expecting. The car that General Motors should reintroduce: the Buick Roadmaster station wagon. Here at this link you'll find the complete episode, where you can see what led up to the surprising conclusion (hint: it involved steep inclines, eggs and a few thousand gallons of water - challenges that should be familiar to Top Gear UK followers).

What we're most interested in, though, is the show's rendering of what a 2011 Buick Roadmaster might look like. We like the basics - a big pushrod V8 engine up front, six-speed manual transmission, rear-wheel drive, a cavernous interior with seating for you and your seven closest friends and their stuff, and, of course, portholes and Buick's signature 'sweep-spear' profile design language. Okay, maybe we can do without the vinyl wood siding... but maybe not. See for yourself in our image gallery below.

Gallery: 2011 Buick Roadmaster rendering from Top Gear USA

[​IMG][​IMG]

[Source: Top Gear USA]What would a 2011 Buick Roadmaster look like? Top Gear USA takes a crack at it originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    WOW!! If only!!:thumbs2:

3. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Oh Wow. I'd like to hear HO HO HO coming from my garage in a deep voice and when I rushed to see who was there, it had been Santa Cars and he'd left me one of these.

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :thumbs2::thumbs2::thumbs2::thumbs2:

5. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Regarding the concept car;
    "sweep spear"? Is that what Buick calls it?
    "Darrin dip" is what it is, after designer Howard "Dutch" Darrin.
    http://www.americansportscars.com/darrin.html
    Funny how the manufacturers ARE building wagons again but refuse to call them so.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ross....I have noticed lately that more and more cars are being called "wagon" lately. I think the name is on a big comeback. The word "station" is blatantly omitted but often replaced with "sport".:D

7. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

No I don't like it. It looks small and short, pretty much like all the other sport wagons out there. It ain't a b-body and you can't stick a sheet of plywood in it.

8. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I like that anyone out there is even wondering what a 2011 Buick Roadmaster Wagon would look like, this styling exercise is really awful. :disagree:
    If Buick actually announced that they were bringing this model back, I would be thrilled...but if it came out looking like this design, I'd barf! :vomito:
    The rear door? Ridiculously bad! :slap:

Luckily, the current Buick designers seem to be pretty darn good...I imagine they would do a much better job.

David :)

9. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

kOuch, didja haft make the pic so big!

10. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Yeah Andy, that does add insult to injury! :rofl2: I think my retinas are burned!

David :slap:

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That is a concept ILLUSTRATION, guys. I love the overal design. I'll take one. Especially after it is refined and built.

12. Bigbarneycars

Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yah Fox, DA HOLEZ IZ DARE BUT WHERE'Z DA FINZ:rofl2: YAH GOTZTAH HAVE ONE WITH FINZ:clap:

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Where's Virgil Exner when you need him!(y):D