What is the most ridiculous price you have seen for parts?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by winged one, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. winged one

winged one Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I know about Machemi on Ebay. He's a given.

But I obtained a NOS rear quarter trim for my 67 CS on Ebay from another seller. It came with the original Ford packet of 1 moulding clip and several screws. On the packet was the Ford number.

I thought why not try Green Sales and see if they have any of these packets. I could use a few. http://www.greensalescompany.com/GreenSalesInventory.asp

I usually never find anything. But low and behold, they have 3!

Give a call, how much? $55 each. EACH! For 1 moulding clip and a few screws.

No, I did not buy them.

What is the most ridiculous price you have seen for a part? This should be fun.

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Nice idea for a thread. Sorry for now all I can think of is most any original part for a 1932 Ford.

3. OldsWagonmaster

OldsWagonmaster Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    There was a thread on the Classic Olds site about a guy wanting headlight bezels for his Custom Cruiser. One of the parts packrats had a few sets and linked an auction on ebay where the guy was selling just ONE bezel without the side marker lens for $100. That was pretty absurd. I got lucky a couple years ago and brought home a set from a junkyard for 10 bones a piece. Perfect condition, too.

Most of the time, when I see absurd prices for parts, I just pretend I didn't see them.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I've seen and experienced WTF prices for new and used parts over the years but nothing comes to mind.

I have delt with Green Sales once although a few years ago (can't remember witch member referred them to me?) They were great, I got a NOS gas tank fuel sending unit for my 72 Beateor wagon. In comparison the shipping along with the over the border taxes was almost worse than the cost of the part. If I remember when the smoke cleared I paid $160'ish.....

Just before you posted in a PM I was talking about where the **** am I going to find a e-brake peddle and assembly for our RV. Seeing this thread I sent them a email so I'll see what happens. The Island is great....except when you need to find old parts, for just about anything!

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Without seeing your E-brake set up this may not work.:huh:
    Basically all E-brakes work by pulling a lever or mashing a pedal. No matter how they work you are basically pulling a cable to set the rear shoes.
    There are many hotrod cataloges and magaizines with universal E-brake lever kits. Like the Model A, a simple lever that you push a release button then pull back.
    Maybe check these different types or go to the junk yard and find a pull type handle with bracket to hang below the dash.
    An alternate idea is give Deb a wheel chock so she can jump out to chock a wheel when you park.:rofl2:

As for used car parts, I'm living in the past so every part seems overpriced to me.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

What RV do you have? All Class 'C' are based on a recognizable truck chassis, thereby making finding a pedal assembly a no-brainer. It's Class 'B' and 'A' you have to see a parts list from the RV manufacturer to determine which one you'd need.

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

OK, Ford Econline E350 chassis, 1976. shares the same brake peddle assembly itself with E150 all the way up. know for sure 1975-1980 share the same, have conflicting info that Ford changed design and mounting after that. Truck is not the same as van. No wreaker period on the island even has a Econoline period on any years from 75- late 80's. Hence and I quote myself..... The Island is great....except when you need to find old parts, for just about anything

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

On,my bad, when I say 'truck' in general, I'm referring to all body types, not just 'cab' types. And yeah, you have to find that 'sweet spot' of when Ford made the changes. Have you looked on the Pick 'n' Pull website for any suitable vans?

9. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Two years ago, a guy ran a BOLT for a Muncie shifter that was allegedly used only on the COPO Camaros. One bolt. It sold for $900.00!!! That's right, $900.00 for a BOLT!

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. OldsWagonmaster

OldsWagonmaster Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    On ebay you can buy the little rebuilt transmissions for GM powerseats for $200!

And in that same train of thought, I remembered the time I picked up a little plastic piece that couples the transmission to the motor in the power seat assembly from the local GM dealership and paid $20 for it. TWENTY DOLLARS for a plastic cylinder that spins the transmission of a power seat transmission! I felt.... violated. That was about 10 years ago, too.

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

I did see a 76 Malibu AM/FM radio sell for $600!

12. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Over the years I have been involved in a number of restorations (mostly stuff my Father-in-law owns) and I have often searched for parts for them. I have found the more oddball a car or truck is, the harder it is to find the parts. We've done a 63 Falcon Ranchero (Bumpers come to mind on that one) it's amazing how scarce parts are for those. A 1967 International 3/4 truck, of which thousands were made and didn't change much from one model year to the next, but again hard as heck to find anything for, especially interior pieces.
    The one thing I can relate to is jmt455's comment about the carb. We're presently working on an "R" code 428 Cobra Jet Mach 1. Just about anything Cobra Jet related is ridiculous! I found an original Autolite Carb with the correct date code, needing a rebuild, on ebay for two grand! It's a forkin' carburetor!
    And of course, just about anything I need for the Fury is as rare as hen's teeth. Not much is reproduced and if you find it, it's expensive. I paid $100 plus shipping a year or so ago for a pair of turn signal lenses.

ModelT1 and WagonKiller like this.
  14. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Sort of like needing a pair of Carter WCFB's for a 56 corvette! 3500+ but at least they are rebuilt!
    I sold a set of 428 heads just a couple years ago for 800. I thought that was a good deal

ModelT1 likes this.
  15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage: