Volkswagen rules out Passat wagon for North America

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Jul 18, 2011.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Filed under: Wagon, Volkswagen

[​IMG]

If you're smitten with the new U.S.-market Volkswagen Passat but were hoping for a bit more cargo capacity, we've got some bad news. According to the latest reports, Volkswagen of America has no plans to offer a Passat wagon in the North American market. (Can't say we didn't see this one coming.)

This news breaks despite reports of the European-market Passat wagon spied testing in the United States. The two models - European and American - are completely different vehicles, and the Passat wagon seen undergoing development on our shores is apparently the overseas model.

The previous-generation Passat wagon suffered from poor sales as American customers continued to shift from station wagons to taller crossovers. As a result, Volkswagen is reportedly preparing a seven-seat crossover to join the Tiguan and Touareg and go up against the likes of the Honda Pilot and Ford Explorer. But for those who still prefer a wagon, the Jetta SportWagen is now the company's only choice here in the States.Volkswagen rules out Passat wagon for North America originally appeared on Autoblog 5.0 on Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Too late to help me. Wish they had made that decision before my 2002 Passatt wagon was built. Then I wouldn't be hating it so much.

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    LOL....I KNEW you would be responding to this thread, cuda!:yup: