Talk me off the ledge

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Grizz, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    ive been reading and thinking a lot about older, older cars. I got a book for Christmas which is just a bunch of “car guy” stories compiled from various car owners. A lot of them are talking about early drag racing and hot rod days. Talking about 30’s fords, 40’s mercs, 50’s chevys and the like. I’ve had this hankering for a long time now. I want a car from this era. Late 40’s early 50’s. The oldest car i have is a 67 c-30. So I’ve been search and came across this. It looks ok. I like it because it’s original. I’d say the asking price is good. A little high. Here’s the catch. The guy is interested in my wagon:nailbiting: we’ve been emailing back and forth and he’s interested in a straight up trade. My wagon plus all the parts I have accumulated, which is literally a trunk load. For the Chrysler. I have about $3500 in the wagon as is. Am I crazy?! https://westky.craigslist.org/cto/6445122207.html

MAK and ModelT1 like this.
  2. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz
    while I would be sorry to see you loose the wagon, ya I'd do it if I were you. it's 1 thing to have the wagon, but if this car is everything described I think you would be better off financially in the long run.
    Where else are you going to get a 62 year old car that's a daily driver? If I remember right you paid $700 for the wagon? now into t for $3500 - if you had the 56 Windsor and put $2800 into it - what could you flip it for? easier than selling the wagon?
    Even up money, no cash out of pocket, wife approves - go for it
    Here is Haggerty's valuation for a 2 door & 4 door.
    https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1956-Chrysler-Windsor
    1956 Chrysler Windsor 2dr Nassau Hardtop 8-cyl. 331cid/225hp 2bbl $19,400 Avg Value*
    1956 Chrysler Windsor 4dr Sedan 8-cyl. 331cid/225hp 2bbl $14,400 Avg Value*

so don't fall off the ledge - jump

Doghead and ModelT1 like this.
  3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I second the motion. Go for it, even if it's only got the poly. A used Hemi is easier to get than a rare Chrysler in this shape. Old heaps of this era are cool in their own way and it's nothing like sitting in a more modern car. I'll sell you my wagon, if you really need one.
    This dash is priceless. Once you've got it facing you, you'll never regret it. If you turn down this offer, you'll most likely never get an opportunity of this magnitude again. You don't want to spend the rest of your life kicking your own butt. Do you?:

[​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Wow! Mak! being A fellow cp owner i thought you’d try and talk me down. We still just emailing. He’s about 4.5 hrs away so the deal is still literally a long way away.
    I agree completely . The rest of the interior looks a little shoddy but that’s all an easy fix. A complete dash like this is hard to beat. We’ll see what happens. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is!

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz
    love my Colony Park - and yes I had longed for 1 since 1994 when I traded in my 1989 - but $ is $. an even swap means he's paying you 6 grand for your wagon, stop emailing and go get it.
    and if someone offered me $8,000 for mine - it's gone. I have put about the same amount $ into mine as you have so if I total all expense's to get and fix mine , I'm in about $8500

Poison_Ivy is right on

ModelT1 and fannie like this.
  6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    So is MAK
    A little shoddy. But, for that price, it's to be expected. You're not about to keep it in a museum, anyway
    Maybe. Maybe not. I wouldn't lose sleep dwelling on the thought. He knows you're spending 4-5 hours getting there. So, if he's got something up his sleeve, everyone will know it here. Once the word gets spread around, nobody will do business with him again. As soon as he's aware that we're discussing it on the worldwide net, he should be careful.
    If something major is wrong like slipping tranny clutches or whatever (not that it's likely. However, always possible), get him to fork out the difference in cash. Seeing your vehicle should sober him up, if he really wants it.
    Don't expect too much. Worn out generator brushes and minor exhaust leaks can be overlooked. Maybe, you should engage him into a telephone conversation. Doing that should give you a clue as to if he's up front or not and should intimidate him out of any bogue ideas

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I'm not so inclined without a full mech inspection of the vehicle. I'm of the opinion that you keep close the Devil you know versus the Devil you don't.

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. Silvertwinkiehobo

And in so doing, you take your wagon for his mechanic to inspect.

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That's fair. But, I'd drive it, first, before going that far. It's possible that it'll be a straight up deal. If the tranny's rebuilt and it still acts up, that'll be reason enough to doubt the rest of the vehicle. I'd worry alot less about this type of car than some tinkered and tossed around later model. This looks like it hasn't changed hands much, if not more than once. If the steering's tight and the brakes function properly, it gets my thumbs up, already. Those old Chryslers are solid, to begin with. Besides, it likely has my dad's best friend's fingerprints somewhere on it, since he used to assemble them in Detroit

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks interesting. Just keep in mind that restoration parts for 60 year old Chrysler four door sedans aren't exactly falling out of trees.

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I've seen that car on Craiglist for quite a while now when searching for "wagon". I think I even remember it before it was painted. I've been curious about it. Let us know what you do and how it goes.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

And if you do pull the trigger on it, there's a place up here near me (15 miles, actually) that specializes in Fifties Chrysler products. I may even have a pic or two of one of the owner's sedans.

ModelT1 likes this.
  13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I wouldn't dither any longer on it. For that price, it'll go quick. Don't give him time to change his mind. Go out there and get it, for kreißsake. Your wife and daughter will adore this adorable car

ModelT1 likes this.
  14. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe I would agree with others here. As much as I like 80's CP's, I'd like a 56 Chrysler sedan better. I've always thought that the 55-56 Mopars were some of the most handsome cars of the 50's. I sure wouldn't let this one get away.

ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  15. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Jump jump jump........ I mean go for it. :evilsmile:

Grizz and ModelT1 like this.