Tail gate Window Stuck

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by nogawa1969, May 22, 2024.

1. nogawa1969

nogawa1969 New Member

1969 Kingswood. Tail gate window is completely down. What is the trick to get it out of the tail gate to trouble shoot the wiring/motor? All the access is blocked by the glass. The bolts holding the glass on the slides are not accessible.

2. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Can you get the gate to lay down? If so once it's laid down you can open up the access ports on the back and get inside and troubleshoot the wiring harness coming in. If the motor is good you can bypass the interlock and roll it up (support the glass\gate assembly) and determine why it's not moving with the key\switch. If the motor is completely dead there are methods to get inside and access the mounts and a factory service manual should have that info (I have it for a '67 and '68, but not a '69 but they should be similar).

3. nogawa1969

nogawa1969 New Member

the regulator/motor assembly seems to get stuck in the full down position. I was able to loosen two of the glass bolts. With the glass loosened the motor works just fine. If I put the window completely down it takes a sharp rap on the tail gate to get it moving again. I would like to replace the motor and rebuild the regulator. So where do I look for a refurb/new motor.

? Factory Service Manual ? I wish. I was luck enough to get a set of 1987 GMC truck manuals. I own an 87 suburban (1/2 ton wagon).
    I would very much like to find a set of manuals for the 1969 Kingswood - Impala -Caprice - Belair. I'm assuming these are all very similar.

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  5. nogawa1969

nogawa1969 New Member

"once it's laid down you can open up the access ports on the back and get inside" -- NO with the glass down there is no access.

After several thumps and bangs and a long brass rod connected to a power supply I got the window up. I removed the motor, cleaned it, and installed new brushes. Then I pulled the wiring harness apart. Resoldered the connections to the latch switch. Then I found one loose terminal in the motor adapter pig tail. It's been two weeks without an issue.

Thanks for the link to helminc !!

HotRodRacer likes this.