Suggestions? - a free 58 Buick Caballero

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by moparandfomoco, Jun 20, 2014.

1. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

As much as I have hung around here, I quite didn't know where to post this. A chum at work told me that a biker friend of his said I could have his old 58 Caballero hardtop wagon free - now the car is a Santa Fe, New Mexico car, so it's not gonna be really plagued by rust BUT, the only glass in it is the tailgate which is good along with the chrome, bumpers, etc. and it also has no engine/tranny. I believe the car is one family owned since new and I'm going to check on it on Sunday. I'm not really a GM guy, even though there are some fine Generals out there, so I don't know what I'd even do with it but he's gonna scrap it if not...Why couldn't it be a Mercury, or even a Mopar? That's my luck.....Anyone interested or have any suggestions? see pic...

Attached Files:

2. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow! I love those things especially the hardtops! She needs a lot of work to see the road again but it's really unique and plenty rare to boot. Hope it doesn't get crushed.:tsk:

3. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

You're starting from FREE!!! Keep in mind, restored, one of these is easily a $60,000 car, or more. You have LOTS of room to play here and not end up upside down. The tail gate glass is the most difficult piece to get, and there it is. The rest is not so bad, so you're half way to weather tight there alone. You could do a mild custom on this, and have a really nice car that is worth more than your investment, quite easily, as it is the body work that REALLY eats money. This may be blaspheme, but you could get a wrecked Tahoe or Burb, or Chevy pick up, with the displacement on demand, and have PLENTY of get up and go and still have gas mileage. You would need the donor vehicle, though. You could then use the seats from the same donor as well. It could be a really great car to own. If the rot turns out to be terrible, there is a mint in body trim on that car. Really, there is no way to lose on this one, even if you take it and then sell you will make money off the deal to put towards the wagon you want. As is, I bet that is still a $3,000 car, at the very least.

4. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    It's not in your garage yet???

5. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

Great place for a ls engine conversion!

6. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow! Regardless of what marque, that is a great looking wagon. I'd be all over it. And if you decide it's not for you, I'm sure you could flip it with no problem. Maybe give your station wagon brethren first chance at it. Keep us updated!

7. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey, Happy Birthday. :rofl: Yes I suggest you go get this, It's OK if you just flip it onto eBay or whatever as soon as you get it home too! Free cars are cool.

8. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have heard the saying "IF IT'S FREE, IT'S FOR ME!"
    So that would be my suggestion to you! Good luck and it is well worth the...ummm...price?!

9. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Bottom line, take it and pass it along to someone who wants it. I'd hate to see this get scrapped.

10. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I say go for it!! Here's some motivation!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That is gorgeous. Love those fins and body lines!

12. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

That Ontario wagon is :bowdown:beautiful. Looks like the color is Laurel Mist? :bowdown:

13. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You can't beat 'free'.......

Even just starting out with a $0.00 invested balance, this would still be quite a daunting challenge. The cost of any rechroming alone would scare a lot of guys away. The big issue on this one is the glass though. The quarter glass and tailgate are specific to the Buick Caballero and Olds Fiesta for '57/'58. The rear side door glass you have to get from a hardtop model.

I would love to tackle a project like this, except I have neither the money or the talent required.

Got an idea.....
    How about taking on a partner? Anyone you know interested in a project like this. You can share expenses and work, they maybe sell it off and split whatever profits (?) there are.

14. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Whatever happens get that wagon. Don't let it go to the scrapers. They are extremely rare and one of the most beautiful older station wagons around. This one actually looks very straight and rust free, at least what can be seen. Even the chrome and stainless appears all there and decent.
    I'm sure someone here or near you would be glad to have this as a project. If nothing else make a custom with later running gear as mentioned. Later it could be restored.

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

That Ontario wagon is prolly valued between $80-100k as it sits? Even parting out the NM wagon would net at least $2k? :confused:

There are 3 Cabaleros on Hemmings right now and they don't even blabbertize a price on any of them...........if you have to ask.....you can't afford them!