South Dakota dealer filled to brim with classic cars

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Mar 12, 2014.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Filed under: Classics, Coupe, Sedan, Wagon, Cadillac, Dodge, Read This

[​IMG]

Other than the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and Mount Rushmore, South Dakota isn't generally a hot topic, but that just means that cool stuff can hide in the open waiting to be discovered. Case in point: the classic car dealer Frankman Motor Company that operates three locations in Sioux Falls, SD.

Unearthed by the folks at Bring a Trailer, Frankman is a treasure trove of vintage, American iron. Their collection is full of the type of vehicles your irresponsible but cool uncle would show up with when you were a kid. Even better, these cars are priced at a level a working man can afford.

[​IMG]If you are lusting about a cruiser then Frankman has a 1956 Cadillac Deville Hard Top Sedan (pictured right) with 82,896 miles for $12,975. It's painted a color called Cascade Grey, but looks more like a pastel purple in pictures. While it needs some repairs to the accessories, the Caddy runs and drives, which is all you really need.

For a dose of performance in your classic, Frankman has a 1970 Dodge Dart that packs a 340-cubic-inch (5.6-liter) V8 and lime green paint for $25,875. It claims that it has 200 miles since a recent restoration and comes with the original build sheet.

Maybe you want to have the weirdest car on your block. In that case, the there is a rare 1956 Hudson Rambler Custom Wagon (pictured above) for $26,875. Its combination of mint green and white two-tone paint and oddly shaped rear is going to grab everyone's attention. Plus, it has also recently been restored.

It's really worth checking out the dealer's whole collection, and it's heartening to know that you don't have to be a millionaire to afford a fun, drivable classic.South Dakota dealer filled to brim with classic cars originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 12 Mar 2014 16:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    It's amazing. Just when we think we are running out of nice old cars, another batch shows up. This is really a nice chance to own a decent driver at a price many can afford.
    That 56 Caddy trips my trigger. :taz:

3. chefdough

chefdough junior member

Wagon Garage:
    Cool cars

Good show to watch is Magic City. Beautiful cars and ladies to match!:jumping:

4. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    My favorite two things. :yahoo:But we haven't watched TV since they switched to digital. We live in the boonies with no signal. Believe it or not, life goes on without TV. Now I wonder about internet?

5. chefdough

chefdough junior member

Wagon Garage:
    TV

We have not had cable or satellite in many years. Bought a roku which allows us to watch what we choose.
    For the most part life is better w/o TV.
    It is amazing how much you can get done when your ass is not parked in front of the boob tube!

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've had the Internet debate too, along with the telephone. The only argument that makes me keep both is that I can't have the Internet without the landline, and I save more by scanning local vendors than the monthly cost, oh, and the freebies from here:

https://www.freecycle.org/

From that page, you find the closest one to you. And you clean out the hang-me-ons. Pianos, TVs, Lawn and garden stuff, canning jars... etc.

Did that about 4 years ago, when Canada's networks went digital. I can't believe how much I get done in those 26.4 hours per week recovered from the Square Eye! Not even a digital rabbit ear antenna.

And we can watch 2 movies a day for two years without ever watching the same ones twice! Clint's flicks have a shelf all to themselves! :biglaugh:

7. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Or the computer. :disagree:

8. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm burning time. Gotta go downtown.:p

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

CatMan, you're just 35 mi from Gainesville? I bet a Winegard HD8200 antenna with a good amplifier mounted in the attic and aimed properly would pull in some signals there? And for free!!!!! :wave:

Hmm, with a rotor you could prolly switch between Gainesville and Tallahassee stations?

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. We tried one of those digital antennas like we bought our son in Illinois. He and another friend can get over 20 stations from 30-40 miles away as clear as cable. I bought one and brought it home. We get nothing but sparklies! Too many trees. Tried the largest regular antenna and a large rotor. Even moved the mast and used the large coax. We are mostly surounded by trees except south where satelitte would work. But even then it wouldn't work for line of site TV.
    We just gave up and don't miss TV. I'm not about to get another satellite dish and another $75-$80. We have plenty of DVD's and VCR tapes if we get bored.
    I'd rather play on the internet and wife reads or plays her little electronic games.

11. Racer81x

Racer81x Member

I suggest if you are interested in a car that they have you go look at it in person and not buy sight unseen, my dad and a couple friends went up to look at a couple cars at one of their locations, and they were not as nice as they seemed to be in the adds that they were listed in.

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I forgot the details. It's been years. There was a car dealer in the central part of Iowa who sold restored and clean older cars. He had a 1957 Chevy on the roof or on a large sign out front. Could be long gone.

13. Racer81x

Racer81x Member

That sounds like Duffys classic cars in Cedar rapids, you had to look close at the overpriced stuff he was trying to sell too.

14. CustomCruiser90

CustomCruiser90 Well-Known Member

I love the '61 LeSabre convertible, the '65 Calais 4dr hardtop, and the '63 Monterey with the poverty caps and blackwalls. Strangely enough, doesn't really detract from the look of the car. The seat patterns look incorrect, mine didn't look anything like that in my Monterey. Maybe this is an upscale option.

The Cadillac Calais fascinates me, in that it has the standard wind up windows. Not put off by that in the least. It has AM-FM too. The Buick drop top would just delight me to no end, I love baby blue, and blues in general.