Shut off valve

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by kevdupuis, Apr 9, 2022.

1. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Just did a little job on the injection pump in my 81 Mercedes W126, I replaced the vacuum shut off valve as the original one had a seal fail and started sucking oil into the vacuum system over the winter which made shutting off the engine take a little longer depending on how cold and thick the oil in the lines was. It was a pretty straight forward job and took less than an hour.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the new valve and old, the main item of concern is getting the hook at the end of the valve on the proper side of an actuating lever inside the injection pump just so you don't have a nice screaming engine on start up, ( until it goes boom of course).
    [​IMG]
    With the top cover turned 90* and a light you can see the lever that the hook has to go around though the pic doesn't show it well. A hand vacuum pump is also handy to collapse the old and new valves to get them out & in since the clearance between the i/p and oil filter housing is close.
    [​IMG]
    You can just see the new valve in place with everything back together, it makes me smile to know that these Mercedes used a full mechanical/vacuum system directly tied to the key switch to shut down these engines instead of some Rube Goldberg electrical oddity that would look at home in a mad scientists lab, kind of like the electro-vacuum system that operates the climate control system on these cars.