Question about a roof rack

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by rrmac54, Jun 21, 2022.

1. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

I am doing the restoration of an old Volvo wagon. It came with a roof rack, from what I can figure is for a 1957/59 Chrysler. I think it was narrowed a little to fit the car. So it may not fit anymore.The only picture I find shows it on the Plymouth museum car, and I can only count the slats on the roof for width. I'm not putting it back on. My question is to confirm it is as I suspect a Chrysler product. If it is a rare desirable part then I need to get it back in the community. If it is not then I may just hold it for another project. Any body recognize it.

Attached Files:

2. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I’ve never seen one like that. I don’t think I could let that go.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That looks like an aftermarket (think J.C. Whitney paper catalog) bracket.

JackWagon likes this.
  4. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

That's what I had thought until I found a photo of a wagon in the Chrysler museum. Just figured if someone was looking for one. It is cool, the lights even work.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Those pieces remind me of something else Whitney used to offer, only because it's similarly-shaped.
    Decades ago, an idea for safety had been floated, installing a trio of lights on the back of cars. One each green, amber and red. When your foot was on the gas, the green light was illuminated, letting cars behind you that you're moving. As soon as you let off, the amber light came on, green went out, letting the following car know you were beginning to slow down. Then as you stepped on the brake, the red light came on, the amber went out. Of course, it'd never work nowadays, what with idiots sticking their noses in their phones. Anyway, that device was bullet-shaped like these, three pods line abreast on a pedestal, also shaped like those bases.