New to the forum from Houston, Texas

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by JAMCAR223, Nov 22, 2019.

1. JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223 New Member

Hey Guys/Gals. I just got a wagon project last weekend. A friend I grew up with inherited (8) '84-89 Country Squire / Colony Park Wagons. Nobody in his family wanted them, so (3) lifelong friends made the (9) hour drive from Houston to Lubbock to pick up (3) of them. They all ran when parked, but that was anywhere from 2-12 years ago. They all have issues but (2) are already running (including mine).

I named all (3) of them. Morning Wood, Big Wood, Wood Ya? :p Wrote it on the back windows for the caravan back home. Yes, we got smiles, and pics taken all the way home.

Mine is a 1987 Mercury Colony Park ( Morning Wood ). It has slight body damage on the pass. rear quarter, and a little hail damage on the roof, but it was complete. Tan on tan, 302 / AOD / 8.8" rear, turbine wheels ( even grabbed a 5th for a full size spare). I've spent about 6 hours on it this week new battery, fresh gas, a trip to the car wash while still on the trailer, scrapping off old purple tint, reinstalling the spare tire/jack correctly etc.
    The bad.. motor was knocking when I started it, but it did idle, so I looked under the hood, and the harmonic balancer was jumping around like crazy. Moving around so bad it was hitting the water pump pulley. I figured the only way it could do that is a bad/separated balancer. I guess the years of sitting dried up the rubber ring. I received a new balancer in the mail yesterday. It needs a little TLC, but it was free, came with (2) sets of keys, clear title, and receipts in the glove box. Anyway, here it is.

I "wood" say Barn Find, but we are all tired of hearing that. Make up your own mind, LOL.

IMG_1314.JPG IMG_1316.JPG These (3) plus, (4) more in a lean-to next to the barn, and (1) outside chained to a tree??
    IMG_1318.JPG IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1335.JPG
    So that's my introduction... I'm in the middle of a G Body project right now, but I do want to get the balancer installed in the next couple weeks, and hopefully she will run smooth. If so, I will put a little money into it. I'll keep you posted. James-

CarpenterCruiser, Grizz and fannie like this.
  2. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    welcome and congrats, just sold my 85 Colony Park, miss it but no regrets
    good luck, 1st thing I advice is look at this.
    FORD MUSTANG AOD TRANSMISSION TV LINKAGE CABLE GROMMET (Throttle Body Bushing)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTA...E-GROMMET-Throttle-Body-Bushing-/302514275693
    originals are made of plastic, and when they break you will loose your transmission in a heart beat with no warning.
    have had 3 Ford mid 80's wagons and had to replace the transmission on a 89 Colony Park with only around 50,000 miles
    back in 1992 - cost $1900 back then to have it rebuilt. When I got my 85 - it was the 1st thing I replaced even though the mechanic said mine was good. it's less than $10.00 so why risk it.

have fun loved the cars,

JAMCAR223 likes this.
  3. JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223 New Member

Thanks for the heads up on that. I had no idea of the issue. For $10, I will install that for sure.

4. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    "chained to a tree???"

A good tree can be hard to find. ;)

Well, they were in a barn and that is were you found them.:rolleyes:

:Welcome: to SWF glad you found us and congratulations, Morning Wood cleans up good!

Grizz and JAMCAR223 like this.
  5. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Morning Wood got the knob polished. :biglaugh:And, welcome to the forums!

6. JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223 New Member

Yes it did. And to think I did the polishing...:slap:

7. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    8 colony parks... that’s kind of an interesting choice to hoard away. I mean I have an 87’ love it but would I buy 7 more?? What’s the back story on these?? Side note: my first name is Wood. I spent some time working and going to school at a catholic campus with a lot of sisters (nuns) running around. Tickled me to death when they would see me and cheerfully exclaim “Morning Wood!” I think they knew what they were saying....

60Mercman, MAK and JAMCAR223 like this.
  8. CarpenterCruiser

CarpenterCruiser Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome!

JAMCAR223 likes this.
  9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Jamcar. Sounds like quite an interesting situation you stumbled into there. Good luck getting it back on the road.

JAMCAR223 likes this.
  10. iamjarred18

iamjarred18 New Member

Nice wagon you found there. I look forward to seeing how it'll turn out. Good luck!

JAMCAR223 likes this.
  11. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome JAMCAR, and Jarred. Like Grizz, I like ‘80’s Colony Parks. I have 2 ‘83’s. Good luck with your projects. That ‘87 looks like a nicely loaded LS.

JAMCAR223 likes this.
  12. TonyU

TonyU Member

Welcome to a great forum. So many wonderful ppl here

JAMCAR223 likes this.
  13. JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223 New Member

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome.