New to forum

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Bald61, Sep 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Bald61

Bald61 Member

Good morning everyone. I'm new to the site and forum and I'm looking forward to sharing / learning about our station wagons. I guess that I'll tell you the wagons that I'm working on.

1961 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 9 passenger
    1964 Dodge 880 Custom 9 passenger
    1968 Dodge Coronet 500 9 passenger
    1969 Plymouth Custom Suburban 9 passenger
    1969 Dodge Monaco 6 passenger
    1970 Pontiac Catalina 9 passenger

I'm currently working on the Catalina and I need advice. What is the best method to get the tailgate open? It has a power back window (that doesn't work) and I definitely don't want to damage anything. I would really appreciate any suggestions / help. Bald61

Jim 68cuda likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Member elB is fairly knowledgeable on specifically Pontiac cars, hopefully he will see this.

3. Bald61

Bald61 Member

Thank you, I appreciate it. Have a great weekend!

4. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard from Virginia.

5. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum, Bald61! We're glad you found us. Those are some interesting, diverse wagons you are working on, we'd love to see pictures!

6. Bald61

Bald61 Member

Good morning. Here are photos of the wagons, I’m working on the 70 Catalina first as it is the most complete. Probably followed by the 68 Coronet 500 or 61 Oldsmobile 88. The others will have to wait.

Attached Files:

JackWagon likes this.
  7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Member OrthmannJ would be interested in that '64 880.

JackWagon likes this.
  8. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

very cool stash

JackWagon likes this.
  9. Bald61

Bald61 Member

Thank you. A close friend of the family passed back in July and we are working through his yard and separating the cars that can be saved and should be saved. As time progresses, I should have more wagons (mainly Ford's) to share.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

So your late friend collected wagons?

11. Bald61

Bald61 Member

Well, it was a functioning car sales, repair and yard that the State Police used their services for confiscated / abandoned vehicles, so there are a variety of cars that accumulated over the years by various means. There are still a lot of wagons that I haven't had a chance to concentrate on.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Bald61. Looks like you have quite the collection there. That 880 is indeed intriguing. It's a hardtop to boot.

14. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Does the power back window not work because the motor burned out or because the wiring to it is all messed up? If the wiring is screwy at the dash\switch you can disconnect the plug in the back and run +12V to the motor to get it to run manually. If the motor is bad, you can take off the rear panel by climbing in the back and removing the screws. Once the large panel is off you have 2 larger access holes on either side to get inside and get at the motor, regulator, and latch assemblies. It's a sucky job climbing in the way back but the dealership had to have a way to service these when they were new and the motor died so the rear trim cover panel is removable with the gate closed.

There is an interlock that requires the window be all the way down to trip that allows the handle to unlatch from the sides and fold the tailgate down. If you can't get the window down in any way, you can likely get at that interlock and manually open the tailgate with the glass up and CAREFULLY lower it down to work on it and sort it all out. If the car is rusty due to water or critter intrusion you'll have tons of fun, but it really isn't that complicated once you can get inside and see how it works. The only real issue is if hardware is missing or damaged from rust\previous idiocy.

15. Bald61

Bald61 Member

elB,

Thank you for the above. The motor "clicks" and tries to move the rear glass, but the real problem is dust, this car sat in the New Mexico desert for 20+ years and we had similar problems with the manual window cranks on the doors. I believe that the window guides are full of dirt and dry and the motor can't over come the resistance, and I definitely don't want to burn up the motor. I suspected / saw that rear panel is removable and would be the way to get to it, but I wanted to verify before getting started down the wrong path. Again, thank you, I do appreciate it!

Bald61