new radio

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by ALFATAR, Nov 21, 2020.

1. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

any one have a radio converted with Aurora ? I have not seen any reviews good or bad. How about who did the conversion would you use them again?
    Mike

2. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I hadn't heard of this before - had to Google it. Interesting work the company is doing. Didn't see any info on cost. Probably a very wide range from 'reasonable' to :drool::drool::drool:, depending on vehicle and applications wanted.......

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Also, no list of supported radio designs. But, it is interesting to see that someone is making full-spectrum conversion electronics. The only question I have, is how the functions are actually controlled. Not that I can afford this, mind you....

5. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Went down this exploratory road very recently with the new Dakota. First off, I'm still swinging with '90's CD tech as far as my vehicles go, plus I DO like satellite radio. The Safari never got any of that. Someone installed a fairly basic AM/FM/CD Sony unit in the Dakota. Really tiny station buttons, and confusing controls. So, I found out I can buy a used factory AM/FM 6-CD changer unit for about $100 plus shipping (reconditioned about $80 more), so I was thinking to do that. Then I found guys were retrofitting newer Chrysler 'MyGig' entertainment units in older vehicles, but also found out it involves A LOT more money and extra components. So, I'm back to the original plan of just getting a used factory unit that's plug-in. (Have to find out if I actually have a factory plug inside the dash......)

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Unless it's been cut out, you should. Nowadays, there are adapters made specifically to plug into factory harnesses.

7. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Oh, it will happen. I just have to get in there and see what I'm dealing with. I can get the faceplate off in about 4 minutes..... Been raining a lot lately, so haven't been able to get to it.

8. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Perhaps none of us have any cash left over after we've rescued our rides? I certainly don't.

10. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I like my tunes. I looked at doing this on the AM radio that was in my '63 Country Sedan. After all was said and done, I went with a Retrosound radio in the dash instead. The cost was about the same for the feature set that I wanted, so I went ahead and purchased new instead of retrofitting. I have AM, FM, Bluetooth, and I could have Sirius XM if I had sprung for an exteral antenna and installed it (with paid subscription, of course).

11. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

The radio in the Fury stopped working this summer. I'm not sure if it's the radio itself or the speaker or what. It's AM, single speaker. I have thought about doing something with the car in the past, but I really want to keep everything stock.
    We have used Retrosound heads in three or four of the cars my Father-in-law has had restored over the past few years.
    They look good, and have all of the features available, just as HotRod mentioned.
    I'm not sure what I am going to do with the Fury. But in my experience, Retrosound is a good option for someone looking for a correct looking radio that has more than just FM. :2cents:

12. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

I have heard good things about Retrosound .My son and his friends have it in there cars and they sound nice. I was talking about a radio conversion like is done in the link I attached before. There are lots of places that do it. It took me a awhile to save the money but I don't want to make a mistake