need help

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by 1milkman45, Feb 15, 2015.

1. 1milkman45

1milkman45 New Member

Can anybody let me know if when valves keep loosening up what can I do 2 stop it from happening? I think my poly locks r worn. also after I tighten down the valves should I b able to spin the rods side to side?

2. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

If it's a GM with hydraulic lifters then we would just tighten down each nut with the engine running until the clatter from that rocker would just stop and go to the next. We would repeat the process again by backing each off a bit until the rocker would just start to make noise and then re-tighten until it just went quiet, after the second pass we'd shut off the engine mop up any oil put the valve covers back and call it done.
    Of course some people just cut some holes in an old pair of covers over the studs and use those while they were adjusting, then put the good rocker covers back on once they're finished, helps keep oil from spitting everywhere.:)

The only suggestion I have is getting new locks.

3. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

How are you adjusting the Rockers? If you do not do it the was the last poster described with the engine running. Than you have to follow a specific sequence (that I do not have access to at the moment) to make sure you are adjusting only the valves that are on the base circle of the cam shaft. In other words with the lifter not on the camlobe or the valve not open. Then you have to turn the crankshaft, repeat on the next 4 selected valves, repeat until you have them all adjusted.
    In my experiance Limited to Pontiac, Buick, and Chevy V-8's Yes you can "rotate" the push rod on the valves when properly adjusted, but again this only applies to the particular valves that are on the camshaft base circle. You should not be able to Rotate any Pushrod that has pressure being applied to open the valve. And this applies only to Hydrolic Flat Tappet Lifters by the way.

I hope that helps.