Lowering my wagon

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by n2fordmuscle, Mar 13, 2013.

1. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'll be rebuilding my front end soon. At the same time, I'd like to lower my 77 Ford LTD II wagon. Any suggestions on the most economical way to accomplish this, maintaining safety and ride comfort. I'm fine with a static drop. I'm not interested in doing bags or hydraulics. I'm going for looks while retaining the original ride quality (softness). I'm not interested in improving handling or making it a stiffer ride. My car has coils on the front & rear. I'd like about a 2" drop.

I've been told that I can use 77-79 TBird springs to get about a 3/4" drop. I've already picked up a set from a Pull-A-Part. But I'm thinking that I'll want more of a drop. I've also been in touch with Spring Works who quoted me almost $800 for custom coil springs (outta my budget). I read about Eckler's here on the forum, but can't seem to find anything on them. The only Eckler's I found was Corvettes.

I'm hesitant to cut springs, but I've done it before, without issue. I removed a half coil from the front coils on my 69 Cougar. My concern is cutting the rear springs. The top and bottom (mounting points) of the rear spring is smaller diameter than the body of the spring. Here's a pic, as an example.

[​IMG]

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    If the rear spring "pigtails" cutting them usually isn't an option because the rear purches are smaller at the top and bottom, a cut spring would have a tendency to slip out of the purch. I have had some success with heating a pigtail spring without issue later, but that being said I don't care for the brittling that comes from heating a spring. There may very well be another spring off a sedan or coupe that will work and just be a shorter spring. You might check with jrwscout he just had this done on his 69 Fairlane and might have some suggestions.

3. n2fordmuscle

Wagon Garage:
    Yup, he's the one that mentioned Eckler's in another thread...

4. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Having had 4 of the 77-79 Thunderbirds, I can tell you that is the way to go if you want decent ride and handling. As is, they are slightly stiffer than the wagon springs. Also, with them on, you will find yourself hitting bottom every so often. There is a LOT of rear overhang on these cars, and the bumper will rub coming down steep driveway ramps. You will become very proficient at re-bending the rear license bracket. When you install the Thunderbird springs, get yourself a set of the Ford gas shocks. They are under $40 a piece and are still readily available at the Ford dealer. Being a little softer on compression than the aftermarket shocks, you get a nice ride quality as well as better handling.

5. DocZombie

DocZombie Village Crazy

IF there is a really good spring shop in your area, they can retemper the spring. SOME shops can wind you a new one.

6. teej

teej Well-Known Member

ESPO Springs and Things will make you just about any spring you want...
    http://www.springsnthings.com/

I used them before when I wanted to drop my Tempest wagon... Ordered a set with a 2" drop in front and a 1.5" drop in the rear.

Prices will run about $80 per pair if I remember correctly...

7. joelb114

joelb114 New Member

I used the rear coils out of a 95ish Honda accord. They are not tapered, the inside diameter was correct and I just cut off coils until it sat right. I got them for free at the local Honda dismantler.
    This was on a 66 Galaxie, and it rode great, and sat low...
    A newer Accord weights approximately the same as these old cars too.

8. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I'm just getting back into this stuff after 13 years away. Moog used to sell Cargo Coils wound with a variable spring rate....basically overload springs. If you have a "real" auto parts store closeby that still has paper catalogs, they usually list all the pertinent specs. Alternatively, you could call Moog and talk to one of their customer service techs. I have no doubt that they offer sets of springs that are shorter when installed, but have the same spring rates as your stock springs.

9. Vista

Vista Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  10. n2fordmuscle

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks guys. I've been in touch with Eaton. They quoted about $500 shipped for a set of 4. Waiting to hear back from ESPO. Crossing my fingers that $80 per pair is accurate. I've found Moog springs, but everything states they give you OEM ride height. I'll try calling them. I also found a local spring shop called Landrum Performance Springs. I'm going to call them on Monday. Prices on their site are about $55 per spring. I'll keep y'all updated.

11. DocZombie

DocZombie Village Crazy

YAAAAY! I knew there was a better way than cutting them!