Long time listener, first time caller

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Kmcbride, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Kmcbride

Kmcbride New Member

Hello all. I’ve been wanting a wagon for years, ever since I had to part with my last one and finally got another last week. Short story of my wagon ownership so far. I bought a great 1987 Buick Electra Estate one owner car with a Jasper engine replacement 307 about 10 years ago. Car was beautiful on the inside with working AC and everything. The exterior was complete minus the bumper end caps as usual. The paint was shot and had minor surface rust in a few spots. Nothing big at all, could be removed with 800 grit sand paper. Only paid $1100 for the car. I had plans to get it painted and keep it looking 100% factory or better. I got to drive the thing like 2 times, then let my wife drive it on a 120 mile round trip to see a friend. On the way back home the “new engine” spun a bearing. The car was parked while I tried to decide what kind of engine swap I wanted to do. Life happened, we sold the house, and the new house just didn’t have the parking available to hold the 5 vehicles I had at the time, so the wagon was sold. Never even got to enjoy that one. So I’ve been searching Facebook Marketplace, eBay, Craigslist, all the usual places for another GM B body wagon 77-90 since. Seen several really great ones come and go over the years and gotten upset that I couldn’t get one many times. A few weeks ago on Marketplace up popped a 87 Pontiac Safari. I got real excited because this was the first time I had seen a Safari for sale ever. Looked decent in the pictures and when I called about it, it sounded pretty good. 2 owner car, runs and drives good, been sitting for 3 years. Well the stars aligned and I just happened to get enough money to buy the car right at the same time, and my wife was also supportive of me getting it. So we went to pick it up last weekend and I threw everything I know about buying an old car out the window because I already had my mind made up that I wanted it. It was a bit rougher around the edges than I was expecting, but that was okay. It did drive home a good 40 miles to my house so that was a positive. However after getting it home and going through it last week… well let’s just say that my stomach has sank a few times and I’ve silently cussed myself for buying it a few times. But here I am, and I’ve accepted what I’ve got, and decided to make the most of it and just take a different route with one than originally planned. So I’m here to hopefully get some help/advice on quite a few things as well as share and document my experience with trying to build this thing. I’ll update my progress as we go.
    Quick vehicle recap: 1987 Pontiac Safari with the Olds 307 that is possibly knocking. Car has major exhaust leak at the manifold I believe. Car has major water leaks due to shot weather stripping that has caused rust under the carpet. The di noc wood paneling is completely shot and the decent blue paint that I thought was just faded turned out to be a pretty crappy respray. Sure, it polished up some but it turned my pads blue with all the paint I removed! 2EAD4CF7-7248-47F5-92AE-1C8223348D23.jpeg 9E39714C-FB9D-4B38-9B81-1C8587DA4031.jpeg

Attached Files:

Darcane and OrthmannJ like this.
  2. Kmcbride

Kmcbride New Member

Oh, I should add, I have already ordered new weather stripping for the doors! I can’t find anything for the tailgate yet though.

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like it. Good luck with your project. Looking forward to the oictures.

Welcome aboard.:wave:

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard. Looks like a great wagon. That is going to be a great project. I am looking forward to following along as you make progress.
    Good luck :thumbs2:

5. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the wagon train, Kmcbride! You have found the right place. Good luck with your project!

6. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Another B-Body! Nice!