Just in time for Halloween...cars full of bodies found in Oklahoma lake

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 81X11, Sep 19, 2013.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I've been following this story. Would make a good novel. I always wonder how these cars ended up in the lake in the first place. Three kids were out for a ride in November 1970. Fine. Then what, the driver took a wrong turn somewhere and neither he nor his passengers realized it in time? What, do we have roads that terminate abruptly out over the lake? He must have driven off a pier or a dock or something like that. I doubt he drove from shore and just kept going.

3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Creepy weird, 2 cars, 2 different yet similar mysteries:confused:

I don't get it either, if both cars some how drove of the boat launch and were only in 12 feet of water you would think that would be close enough to shore that some one would have seen some thing over the years if not shortly after.,,,,lakes rise and lower depending on yearly weather. I didn't see mention of just how far off shore the cars were found? I'm not familiar with the climate there but could there be a chance of the cars (10 years apart) driving onto a frozen lake and falling through?

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The Camaro went into the water (or at least was last seen) on November 10, 1970. I doubt that, even if that lake commonly froze over during the winter, it would have been frozen over that early in the year. It wasn't even winter yet. It was only a week and a half after Halloween. More likely it would be January or February of any given year before it would have been cold enough long enough to freeze over.

The stories I've seen haven't given a date for when the other car, described only as a "1950s car," went in.

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Yes, no exact date mentioned but in the news video the lady believes it was her Grandfather's car who has been missing for 44 years. so if that is the case this is even weirder as it puts both cars in the lake a year apart. And to ad to the mystery, there is yet any mention of the two other peoples remains.... no other missing people reports for those 2.

6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    They listed the other car as a 1950 Chevrolet.

Oh and I lived in Tulsa Oklahoma for 5 years and it never got cold enough, long enough, to freeze over lakes there. Oklahoma is too far south. Small ponds might freeze over, but not really even enough to walk on, much less drive on.

-Mike

7. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

The Camaro was almost new when it went in. It will be low mileage and would be a great addition for the Lambrecht auction.

I've heard of similar stories before. Not far from me, there is a small pond close to a well travelled road. A few years ago, the pond was partially drained, exposing a car's antenna. Further invesigation found skeletons of two teenagers, in a Toyota Celica, who had been missing for 5 years. When I was a kid, in the 70's, I vividly remember a photo in the Washington Post showing an early 60's Valiant being pulled from the Potomac River with the remains of the driver who was assumed to have driven off the George Washington Memorial Parkway nearly 10 years earlier.

8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was reading the story and I got to thinking about the kids in the Camaro. At the time, absolutely no clues. Kids out late at night, never came home, and the car was never found. To me it seems like you don't have to be a rocket scientist to infer that the car (and teenagers) are hidden from view. Somebody should have thought a little harder on this. Those kids should have been found a long time ago. From what I read, this lake isn't all that far from home for them.

9. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Camaro had power windows. In the photo, the drivers window is up. If the other windows were up as well, I would expect that at least one of the three would have tried rolling down a window to get out, but that wouldn't have been an option with power windows.

I hope both wrecks were the result of accidents and that no foul play was involved.

10. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Is this for real!?

11. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Weird, and sad. I first looked at the cars and judged them on their "cool" factor", then I saw the video and you're reminded that this is a painful time for these families.

Then I got on Google maps and looked at Foss Lake and the pictures in the article. You can't tell where exactly they found the cars, but if it was close to where they were pulled out (I'm guessing), that is the boat ramp located by the dam. The dam was built in 1958 and the reservoir had completed filling with water in October, 1961 (from the Foss Lake website). So by the time these cars went into the water, the lake was well-established. I don't think it was a case of "oh gosh, how'd we end up in the water?"

If the cars went in from the boat ramps, I'm kind of surprised nobody found the cars until now - even accidentally. There's usually enough bad things happening around a boat ramp (boats sink that weren't plugged, tow vehicle ends up in water, etc.) that I would have thought someone would have been 12' deep in the water and touched them, even if they couldn't see them.

It's weird thinking about all the people on top of the water having a great day at the lake, while underneath them were 6 bodies sitting in 2 cars...

12. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

Well it was long before you could blame it on......"the GPS told me to turn left!"

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Very sad and unusual. The water even appears to be fairly clear at least giving some visibility below for a distance. I've seen cars with boats in that deep in Illinois and Iowa lakes.

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Yeah??? Found in 12 feet of water so that would mean the roof of the cars would be what, 7 feet below the surface on a lake with boat ramp....people boating, fishing? I've also been on lakes where at times it's so calm and clear you can see more than 20 feet.

15. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: