Is there any way to identify which GM Goodwrench engine my car has?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Dead Reckon, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon "Rocket" Pilot

So, y'all may know I got a Delta 88, sure it's a sedan, and not a wagon, but I trust y'all to answer this more than most people. With that said, I know where to find the block casting number, but is there anything else that can tell me what GM goodwrench 350 my car has? Image below of the 350, I meant to look into this earlier today but I was a bit too tired.

[​IMG]

I believe it may be this engine, as they have sold it for 25+ years:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/10067353/10002/-1?parentProductId=

If so, 260HP is a bit of an upgrade from the 170 the stock 350 was supposed to make, I VIN checked the car, it is a factory 350 that this 350 was swapped for. No clue if it was a Olds or Chevy engine.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I will go out on a limb and say a 350.

In other words, not sure of you question.

3. Dead Reckon

Should've been more specific, sorry, I'm really tired, I meant which GM goodwrench engine it has, I edited my post. My bad :D

Also, I know it's rather grimy, gonna clean the valve covers tomorrow and see if the grime creeps back, if it does it's probably seeping oil from around that sensor. May put valve cover gaskets on when I change the oil, as I cannot find any record of that happening in the life of this engine in the rather extensive paperwork in the glovebox. Also, I'm curious what shape the lifters are in.

4. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Most of the goodwrench engines we got in the boneyard like that,you could not code out thru the Hollander with the letter code under the alternator as you would a factory engine. They didn't show up, you could try to internet search it thru goodwrench maybe? I know one a sold a friend was a hencho in mexico block 993 heads and such.

5. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    Look at the machined pad, in front of the passenger-side head. Even replacement engines will have a code there, specifying what it is. Take that code to any GM dealer parts department and they can tell you. I do not know if the replacement engine codes are available online, or not.

6. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Great car you found! She's beautiful. As for which engine, listen to her! An Oldsmobile engine sounds very different from a Chevrolet, and Pontiac and Buick engines have their own sounds as well.

7. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

that's the one I was talking about cannot code thru normal means

8. Dead Reckon

Already know it's a GM (Chevy) Goodwrench engine, if you look at the valve cover, that one will not fit a Oldsmobile engine, nor do the Olds engines have four bolts on the valve covers like that.

Can't really get down too the number, and I'm not really willing to take the alternator off to find out. Oh well, I think there is only really one goodwrench engine sold, and it's a 350 w/ 260HP and 350 lb-ft, stock the car made about 170HP, dunno how much torque, VIN card doesn't say, and since the original engine is long gone, I may never know. I do know if you aren't careful with the throttle, the rear tires will scream for mercy. I'm probably going to step up too a 235/70R15 all around, or 255/60R15's in back and 245/60R15's in the front. Tires are good right now though, unless they find out what happens when boredom and a large abandoned parking lot equals out too. :D

9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Guess I'll have to talk to you like I do my son! A new set of tires will cost as much as you paid for the car. Keep your foot out of it or mine's going up your #@* !:slap::rofl2:

10. Dead Reckon

Yeah I know the feeling, don't worry, these won't go up in smoke until they are almost gone. I don't waste things like that, might startle a friend by squealing them from a light once or twice when I'm out late and every Roanoker has gone to bed. Roanoke is the city that sleeps like the dead, 'till I pass their house. :evilsmile:

When these tires are worn though, they will be turned into smoke at least once. I'll go for some wider ones later on to help get rid of the traction issue.

11. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sometimes a digital camera can help in these situations. I have often found that I can get the camera (macro mode) places where my head won't fit (no wise cracks guys) and snap a pic. It also allows for zooming in on things I can't get close enough to for the purpose of reading.

mike

12. Dead Reckon

Thanks, I'll try that.

13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    :biglaugh::49::biglaugh:NO comment! :evilsmile:

14. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have nothing productive to add but when I read the title to this thread it reminds me of when someone asked my wife ,"What kind of car you have?" She says ,"A blue one!" :rofl2:
    I just grin, what else can I do.

15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    There are times when it's better to just grin and bare it!:rofl2: