Invasion of the Subarus

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by tbirdsps, Jan 3, 2007.

1. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

So, what's next? Invasion of the Volvos? Really though it seems the Japaneese and Europeans are the only ones that can market a decent wagon any more. So, let's review the American made wagons.
    1. The Freestyle. Hummm. Already being replaced by a crossover SUV.
    2. The Magnum. Dodge cannot bring themselves to even calling its wagon a wagon.
    3. The Focus....oops the model is already dropped.

4. There is a rumor of a Mustang Wagon in 2010:rofl2: . It will flop very bad if Ford insists on calling it a Mustang. My Cougar is one of 19,000 or so made. Nuff said.

That's it!

My boss has a 93 Volvo V something that has gone over 200,000 miles with no sense of needing anything major. My good friend has a Subaru Forrester. Quite nice I must say.

Welcome to the Subaru people and may the Volvos, BMW's and others join soon.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  2. ooberdoob

ooberdoob New Member

Volvos already had their round. the older turbo 740s could be really nasty, actually.

I'm glad you like the forester. :)

Of course i love the new Legacies, but the newest foresters... not so much, and i don't like (Still) the newer impreza nose, though the rest is the same.

wagons are being burred out... at least the name is. i suppose they've gained a negative connotation.

with minivans being well, minivans. SUVs with the reputation they have gained as of late, how is WAGON still a bad thing?

yet it's become "compact crossover SUV" this and that...

it's an AWD/4WD wagon, nothing new people.

what about the cars like the Eagle and others like that?

wagons with something to them...

i guess it takes a bit of a strange person to love a wagon...

i'm 21 and look what i drive

i went on ford and chevy, looking up the most recent models in order to comment on them appropriately...

instead i sit :(

they didn't drop the ball, they threw it; and still missed the posts by 20 yards.

3. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

I'm new to the forum, own a Subaru Outback XT, and appreciate your welcoming import owners (although Subarus are made in the USA). I own a Subaru cause there's nothing made by the domestic manufactures that comes close to them for even twice the money. Same goes for VW, Mazda, Audi, ect., no US made can compare with any of em. Very sad.
    Came to look at your site cause I do like the older wagons and joined. Have owned wagons in the past when different hobbies or pastimes necessated a wagon, and learned to drive in my dads 1960 Chevy Impala wagon, 283, 2spd powerglide and more chrome than has been on the last 5 cars I've owned. I'm trying to talk my wife (she ownes a 2003 Subaru OB) into letting me look for a Olds Cutlass or a Buick Special wagon, but she wants an early Mustang to play with. Mayby both, mayby.
    Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for being openminded to all wagons.
    Grumpy :mad:

4. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    They should have made that nose WRX STI only and given a gentler nose to the other Imrezas.

Why? Id always take a wagon over (with a manual tranny :icon_drive:) van, UNLESS I was a tradesman like a plumber.

That was a car ahead of its time. To bad AMC got bought out by Chrysler.

Your weird !!!! :D. I was 18 when i had a 1991 2WD Subaru Loyale wagon. It was a great car and and had a lot of fun with it.

5. Sarra

Sarra Sporty Wagon

They should bring back the DeLorean, as a Wagon. :D

The Wagon is definatly not done. Checking out Ashland (College town), I see lots of younger people driving "sportier" wagons, like the WRX or Outback Sport. I've also seen a lot of Volvo wagons coming out of the woodwork.

I liked the Focus wagon. If they were available in the US in AWD, I probably would have a Focus instead of a Subaru!

6. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Grumpy,

I realize that most cars sold in the US are acutally made here. Import as a general term means that the companies are not US.

I guess I just like wagons of all types. Even the new Subaru nose. If I had an unending money supply I think I'd have a Audi or BMW but I really like the new Passat.

7. MagNite

MagNite New Member

I have to disagree. Ever hear the quote "a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet" ? So you are saying just because Chrysler doesn't call the Magnum a station wagon, that it isn't? And that means it's not a significant American car? I think I and all other Magnum owners will disagree. The Magnum is a favorite stationwagon of many automotive journalists. When all the other American companies have stopped making wagons, Chrysler had the guts to not only make one, but put a hemi in one also. As one automotive magazine writer said: "the Magnum makes owning a stationwagon cool again" I get nothing but compliments on my Mag from people. They love it's badass look. :yup: