Introduction

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by dadwagontruckster, Oct 27, 2021.

1. dadwagontruckster

dadwagontruckster Member

Hi all,

My name is Michael and live in northern VA. I don't have a wagon yet, but I am on the hunt (the daily driver minvan and SUV don't really count). Having been born in the late 70s, I grew up riding in my dad's wagons. We never had anything new. The ones I can remember were a 70s Olds (blue exterior) and Ford (pea green vinyl interior) wagon. I learned to drive on an 85 Buick Electra Estate. The last wagon he had before passing was a 91 Mercury Sable (blue/blue leather). I drove my dad to his chemo appointments in it.

I've been a car guy forever. I just sold my 79 Trans Am to get a wagon for family outings. The TA couldn't fit kid seats. I keep telling myself to wait until spring, but can't help research and look for ads. Now I just joined the forum. LOL I'm stuck on the late 50s - early 60s wagons that have crazy looking fins. I'm leaning toward Chevy wagons as there seem to be more around and more parts available, but I could be swayed other directions. I will have to dig around the forum more.

fannie and markfnc like this.
  2. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, dadwagontruckster! Nice intro. I don't have a wagon yet either, but like so many here have said already: you'll eventually find the right wagon, or more like it'll find you. I hope your dad pulled through though. Too bad about your Trans Am, but having a family sure does change things. But there's no saying that you can't have a wagon with a little performance to it! :)

I love those old finned wagons too, but yeah, the GM and Ford ones tend to have more parts available for them. I'm generally more of a Mopar kind of guy, and while it'd be awesome to have something like a 1957 Plymouth or 1957 Chrysler Town & Country wagon, parts availability for them is fairly scarce. Especially the Chrysler stuff. Not to mention that prices for them have gone through the proverbial longroof over the last 15 years as well. So, a Chevy would be a good way to get into the finned look because, as you said, they tend to be more plentiful and parts tend to be a bit easier to find for them.

Regardless, keep an open eye and I'm sure the right wagon will come along!

Cheers.

3. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

I was going to mention this too, but we have no idea what the OP's intended use of the car would be. He very well could only use it for runs to the ice cream shop with the kids, but your point is valid.

4. dadwagontruckster

dadwagontruckster Member

Not quite the welcome I was expecting. LOL. as you have assumed, the wagon will only be for small trips. I have factored in getting belts installed in the rear. There was no interior room for kid seats without putting me against the steering wheel, which wasn’t safe or comfortable. So the longer wheelbase will be helpful for that.

5. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I grew up with the wagons you seek, started as a kid in 1948 Plymouth Woodie with a canvas roof that leaked like crazy, to a 55 Red & White Ford wagon to a 59 Bonneville wagon - then we moved back to New York City.
    I get the fascination but I would not put my grand kids in any 1 of those without extensive modifications, seat belts, brakes steering etc. 1950 thru 60's wagons are now priced thru the roof and once you add all the safety issues you could buy a new Mercedes AMG or Audi rs6 wagon. and if I got to that point I'd probably pass on the older wagons.

The 1980's wagons have a lot more to offer and they haven't gone thru the roof on price yet.

I wish you luck in your endeavor and welcome you to the forum.

6. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forums. We are glad to have you.

7. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    You thought the '79 TA was a daily driver?

Anyway, I haul my grand-kids around all the time in the '63 CS. What's the purpose of having a car if you can't use it as it's intended?

8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Michael. Sounds like you have excellent taste in classic American automobiles. Thanks to an Uncle of mine I have always been a fan of the mid-late 70's T/A's. I bet it was a hard decision to sell your 79, But I totally get it.
    I have a 64 Plymouth 9 passenger wagon and it has served our family going on four generations now. One of the great things about a wagon is indeed it's intended purpose of hauling lots of stuff and people around in style. Much more room than a two door muscle coupe.

About a decade ago, we rebuilt my Father-in-law's 63 Falcon Ranchero. I love that little cartruck. When we were doing the interior we decided to put bucket seats in it. That had an unintended consequence. After my second son was born and got old enough to start going on adventures with his older brother and I the choice was always the wagon over the Ranchero. Now it rarely gets taken out because I can't leave someone behind.

I actually drive my wagon a LOT during the nice weather months. It's our vehicle of choice for our fair-weather excursions.
    There is no denying that modern vehicles are safer than classics. There is certainly an amount of risk involved in piloting an older vehicle down the highways and byways of America. But if we are being honest, that is the case with many forms of recreation. (and yes, I do consider driving a classic a form of recreation) It also sounds like you would retrofit any car that might come without seatbelts, which is of course the #1 piece of safety equipment in any automobile regardless of vintage. Upgraded braking is also a good idea, one that I highly recommend.

I'm really excited to hear that you are planning to include your family in your love for old cars and the potentially endless great experiences that you can share via that vehicle.
    I have occasionally documented some of our adventures in my wagon over the recent years. If your interested, you can check them out here:
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/threads/travels-of-the-fury.46361/
    Good luck in your search, and be sure to keep us updated. I can't wait to see what you find. :thumbs2:

dadwagontruckster likes this.
  9. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard. Nice intro. And the hunt is on :bananaman:

10. dadwagontruckster

dadwagontruckster Member

I wanted to post an update with my new purchase. It was delivered last Saturday. It's a fully custom 1960 Parkwood coming from the mid-west/northern Indiana.

I'm also trying to get my hands on a copy of the magazine pictures. It is from January 2017.

Attached Files:

11. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome from the pacific northwest and let me complement you on your excellent taste!! need to see more about your new ride!

12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Wow! That looks amazing! Congratulations!