HSV Tourer super-wagon set to haul stuff, ass

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, May 12, 2008.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Filed under: Sports/GTs, Wagons/Estates, GM, Holden, Australia, HSV
    [​IMG]
    Click image to enlarge

Like the sedan and ute before it, the Holden Commodore Sportwagon will also soon have a corresponding HSV performance variant. The HSV Tourer is essentially an HSV Clubsport R8 Wagon, as it features the muscle sedan's front clip and 425-horsepower (317kW) LS3 V8 powertrain. Look for it to arrive arrive in Australia this October and in the U.S. as a Pontiac, well, never. (Pontiac has no plans to bring over the Commodore Sportwagon, remember.)

HSV admits that the Tourer could take some sales away from the Clubsport R8 upon which it's based, but that the presence of the wagon in the now-complete HSV lineup should still help HSV's sales numbers overall. Drive.com.au notes that the Commodore Sportwagon was supposed to launch back in March, but has been delayed while Holden continues to work out kinks with the wagon bodystyle. We expect to get plenty more info on the HSV Tourer closer to its launch, but today, we're more bummed than ever that Pontiac isn't importing the Commodore Sportwagon. Imagine what the possibilities could have been... Pontiac G8 Safari GXP? Not bad. And unfortunately, not gonna happen.

[Sources: HSV, Drive.com.au]
    Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

2. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

My prediction is that Pontiac will be with Oldsmobile soon. On the GM scap heap along with Buick. That's if GM can continue.....

I can see at least a couple of thousand going for the G8. Maybe 2 for the G8 Safari which probably won't even be considered.

3. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Take a look at this weeks column of autoextremist..

http://www.autoextremist.com/

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    And another one bites the dust... :(

5. mikmak

mikmak New Member

I dropped into my local Holden dealer today to check out the Sportwagon. It was supposed to have arrived last month but has been delayed another few weeks. I was talking to the salesman and he said he's sold 4 already (sight unseen). It's a shame you guys aren't getting it, but I've have a few pics for you as soon as it arrives.

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    What are fuel prices like down-under?

7. mikmak

mikmak New Member

Starting to get pretty ordinary. Started the year at around $1.22/l and now vary between 1.44 to 1.58. Luckily the cycle is pretty predictable so if I fill up on tuesday or wednesday, I save a few bucks. Oh and respectively that equates to 4.62AUD/gall, 5.45AUD/gall, and 5.98AUD/gall. Did I mention that my state government applies a 5c fuel subsidy?

In the southern states they are paying 1.65/l which @ 95 US cents for every AUD is 6.55USD/gall. Diesel is going for another 13 odd cents above that per litre!

Needless to say I am pretty happy that I ended a recent contract that saw me travel 22000 kilometres already this year.

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    On the Canadian Gallon (5 US quarts or litres), we run from $6.50 to $7.50 per gallon. Our buck is at US Par. On the regular (10% ethanol). High-test never shows when I fill her up. I just never even look.

When the long weekends come, we know it'll sky-rocket another 10 cents per litre.

And unlike you guys, our Government(s) just keep sucking in the road tax, and now, in some Provinces (States), new and improved Carbon Tax!

Driving - the new Sport of Kings! :(

9. irsa76

irsa76 addict. Charter Member

Came across the holding yard for a transport company with a dozen new sportwagons up the back. Shame it's out of my price range.

10. mikmak

mikmak New Member

I hear that :(

Maybe I'll wait for another ex cop at the auctions in another 18 months. Confusingly though, you can't get a LSD with country pack suspension anymore (like my VZ). I just don't get it. Surely those that option up the suspension pack would be the very same that would be heading into low traction environments. :confused:

11. irsa76

I think Holden belives ESP will work in that sort of terrain. I've been told the only reason Holden still offers the LSD option is because it's part of the 9c1 police package, which deletes traction control due to safety issues.
    It was so tempting to buy the VY Berlina V8 wagon I found near my office.

12. mikmak

mikmak New Member

The main problem with ESP is that it cuts power when there is too much slip, hence the SV6, SS and SS V can still get LSD in addition to ESP. This would obviously be for those special occasions that you may want a little bit of slip (ie on the track when ESP may not be advantageous). Like wise some of the places I have taken my wagon, it has been essential to maintain momentum (as opposed to cutting power and slowing down). The LSD has been a pretty important addition to my wagons capabilities and allowed me to take some places it probably shouldn't go.

This hill may seem fairly slight in the pics, but to the right of the caravan, it was probably another 5 degrees sharper and the only way out. It was also littered with manure as our secret campsite is on a dairy farm. Add to that, the light sprinkling of rain we were getting every few hours and it was a matter of fine throttle control and momentum that got me out. Conversely, another camper who owns a Commodore sedan, did not have an LSD and it took him around 5 goes. But I think he had more fun:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damn I love my car. It's a shame that it actually belongs to my wife and she wants to sell it ! :(

13. irsa76

I wish both of my former Commodores had LSD. Neither of them liked dirt roads which was a problem as I was involved in rallying for a while. Had I decided to go for the Berlina wagon I would have made sure it had an LSD, even if I had to get one installed myself. Although my old Subaru had a rear LSD, very rare from all accounts, and it was rather amusing.

14. mikmak

mikmak New Member

I'll bet! My dad had one a few years ago as an in between car. It was...interesting but make a great racket when given its lungs :D

15. $arge

$arge New Member

Wagon Garage:
    something about the new "wagons" just dont seem like "wagons" to me.....
    no offense intended of course...