Headers for 72 Country Sedan?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 72DragonWagon, Jan 24, 2024.

1. 72DragonWagon

72DragonWagon New Member

I've got a 72 country sedan with a 351W. Having a hell of a time finding headers that work. Bought a set of long tubes and a set of block huggers, neither will work.

On the passenger side the block hugger was pointing right down at the engine mount, but the driver side probably could have worked

With the long tubes the driver side doesn't even fit in, and if you bolt up the passenger side you have chassis clearance issues underneath due to the angle that the collector is pointing.

Has anyone found a set that works? Return shipping is killing me!

2. Psych62

Psych62 Well-Known Member

Paul says:

The only car i have ever owned with headers was a 1980 L-82 Corvette. It had headers, a Holley 900 cfm carb., and a mildly lifted cam. It was the fastest car I have ever owned. Do you plan on making your wagon a "sleeper"?"

3. 72DragonWagon

72DragonWagon New Member

Yes the engine is just about done. I'm converting it to EFI and I installed an edelbrock top end kit (heads, more aggressive cam, air gap intake etc)

Whether or not it will truly be a sleeper remains to be seen. If the hood won't close due to the intake, I might as well cut a hole in it for a big ole blower :) 20240119_201240.jpg

4. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

It's likely that those headers were bent to fit an intermediate, given there is little demand, if any at all, for Windsor performance parts fitting full-sized Fords. If those aren't equal-length headers, it wouldn't hurt performance, to cut and reweld those pipes that get in the way. If they have to be equal-lengthed, the only way out would be to custom bend a set, cutting each tube to the length determined by a set of quality Windsor-fitting types

5. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    See if you can find a set of cheap stock fox body Mustang 5.0 headers to test for fitment. Those will fit the later model Panther (79-91). Obviously not the same as your chassis, but might be close. The stock Mustang headers are shorties, but they might help lead you in a direction if you can find a set.

6. curtisK

curtisK Member

As an alternative, think about contacting nearby vehicle salvage yards or junkyards to get secondhand components.

Doghead likes this.