GM's Mark Reuss says America deserves a new wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Jan 18, 2014.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Filed under: Wagon, GM

[​IMG]

There may be hope yet for the American wagon. Fox News spoke to the new head of product for General Motors, Mark Reuss, and asked him what kind of car he thinks GM should be making.

"I still think no one's offered a really good, affordable wagon in the United States. You know, mainstream, fun, good-looking, hot looking, fun-to-drive wagon at a reasonable price point," Reuss said.

It's no secret that a prerequisite to being an automotive journalist is to have an unhealthy infatuation with wagons, so you can imagine how we feel about Reuss' comments. But does he have a point?

"There's a lot of wagons in the market, but they're really expensive and there's a lot of people that can't afford that, and I think there's opportunity there," Reuss told Fox. Considering the limited success of GM's own Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon, and the proliferation of small, car-based CUVs, we wonder what kind of business case an affordable wagon would have. Reuss recognizes that, though.

"It'd have to be really fun to drive, otherwise people aren't going to get out of the crossover and the mini-crossover market," the exec said. If the vehicle Reuss envisions were to ever make production, we wouldn't count on it being limited to one brand (economies of scale and all that).

What do you think it'd take for a GM wagon to succeed? Let us know in Comments.GM's Mark Reuss says America deserves a new wagon originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

2. moparjohn

moparjohn Active Member

ok

great idea, but, IMO, this is barley a wagon, the way back is way to small. double the way back and maybe. Judging by the pic I'm asking for another foot to 18 inches. And please, make the rear more upright (square) so it is truley usefull. AND put the license plate in the bumper, not the gate!!!!! John

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I agree John. It's an almost wagon. I don't understand why someone just doesn't build another real station wagon. I believe even SUV and minivan lovers would like a wagon. If necessary change the name to something sexy, rugged, or whatever it takes. Just make a real longer rearend straight roofed station wagon.

4. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The one pictured is only being used as an example of a modern American "wagon". (hatchback sedan). I don't even think it looks "wagonish".

In this age of giant SUVs, America needs a real wagon that can swallow 4x8 sheets of plywood, and float like a luxury car, not rumble like a truck (SUV). Do all the things people buy SUVs for without being an SUV.

5. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

Seems like the closet thing to a station wagon on the
    American market is the Ford Flex....

6. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I agree and would like to see it happen, but the major hurdle I see is no available platform to build one on.

All traditional wagons were build off of the Large RWD car chassis, with frame extensions added for more cargo area, at present only Dodge makes a cheap fairly Large RWD car the Charger, and they have done away with the somewhat wagonised version of the car the Magnum due to slow sales.

The other issue is reengineering the rear cargo area with todays crash and fuel tank standards. (this is were the Magnum fell short, no 3rd row seating, could not fit a 8X10 sheet in the back ect.....) I can not see any manufacture spending the needed $$$$ to redesign a current or upcoming product for the limited sales I could forsee. That and the MPG hit the added weight of a good wagon model would impose.

Sorry to say.

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

The old school thinking ( and I have it also ) about being able to fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back is just that, old school dinosaur age. In the 70's and prior it was a great selling feature and using a wagon as work mule was promoted and used for just that even though they hauled the family around also, but today ...... Just how often would you haul plywood as an example in your wagon when everyone and there dog has or knows some one with a truck? Sure I use mine for lite duty hauling and once did haul a few sheets of plywood in the back of my Buick to them come to my senses after having to take so much extra care not to scratch/rub the interior and yet..... I have access to trucks, I have (had) a mini van but was to lazy to take a seat out, I was to lazy to move a couple cars and use my utility trailer:slap:. Now my work mule mini van is dead and a couple weeks back I needed some lumber, I borrowed a friends truck and left him the keys to my Buick.

Really think about it, building a wagon in todays world promoting it can haul plywood is not going to help gain sales for a full size wagon. The caddy posted, I could see why it failed, it's fugly. The magnum, although I do like the looks of it fell short for me not because of the can't haul plywood, but just how limited the rear cargo area is. Sure it advertises 'X" amount of cargo space, but you have more height loading in the side doors..... and on a personal note, My dogs can stand up in my honeys SUV (and my old school wagons) Both of witch have a roof rack for that extra stuff.... and the rear windows open on all of our rides.

The tide has changed, And I really hate to say it as a wagon lover but.... if they keep designing bigger wagons the way they have tried in the recent past, the wagon will be just in our forum, not on show room floors.

8. rrbnut

rrbnut 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Wagon Garage:
    we should all write to the invite and discuss the things we discussed some month ago on the young kid's wagon design ideas :banana:

9. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Tedy's right - wagons back in the day had metal interiors to handle that wood; no buyer would tolerate that today. My Fairlane is bare metal on the wagon floor and 2nd row seat back, plus there's an inch or so of metal going up the sides. Wagons now need to haul lifestyle stuff (toys) and dogs, plus light household maintenance. Nobody's going to haul the materials to build a $1000 shed in their new $25-30,000 ride - they'll be too worried about getting dirt, dust, splinters, tears, stains, etc.

10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Ya want honest? Here's honest. Ever since I bought my 55 Chevy wagon in 1987 and put it on the road I've never hauled anything larger than a few cement blocks, bags of reddy-mix concrete and mostly car parts.
    Even my pickup with a crappy 6 1/2' bed is barely large enough for a 4X8 piece of plywood with the tailgate opened.
    I use my 18' flatbed trailer or borrow a smaller one from a friend.
    Still i like the idea of room to crawl in the wagon and lay down or put camping gear. Besides, they just look kool!

11. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I just noticed that....8x10???? That would the mother of all wagons and I would not mess with the guy who is packing a 8x10 sheet!:rofl2:

[​IMG]

12. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

The problem with a lot of the new 'things' on the road is that unless it is a truck, they just cannot handle weight! Ma's old Arthur had 3 squares of shingles, 2 rolls of roofing felt and all the nails and drip edges inside, and 4 sheets of 1 inch 4X8 roof sheathing on the roof. One trip. The guy at the store thought she was nuts when she told him to load up the little 4 cylinder Volvo, but Arthur didn't even blink.

13. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

OK, maybee my 8X10 Sheet comment was aliitle much, (but my 78 Impala has, and my 71 & 73 Lemans wagons can handle them) but my point was that there is not enough cargo room in them. They have have to deal with Fuel tank location, Rear suspension design (remember all most all older mid size and large wagons had different rear suspension designs than the sedans. and And no my little sunbird wagon does not count)

I just do not see the economic upside for the producer, Though I wish one or more were available.

14. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mark Reuss should look at more Westerns to see how Stationwagons started out!:rofl2:

15. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    NO wagon can handle an 8' x 10' sheet of anything! Nor can any pickup, unless it has a flatbed on it!